Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Matches & Modern Cartridges (Read 3652 times)
ramdog1
Ex Member

Matches & Modern Cartridges
Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I own a Remington rolling block 7x57 and a Browning 1885 in 7mm Mag. From what I have read, the Remington would be welcome at your matches but I have not seen anything on shooting a 7 Mag in competition. I also read an article that said not to use modern cartridges in the 7x57; I have done this since I owned the gun with no problem (though I have not shot it in years); anything to this advice? I am glad I found this group and will join soon. 
Mike

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Re: Matches & Modern Cartridges
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
ramdog1;
             Either rifle would be legal to shoot in an ASSRA match as long as you used cast bullets with no gas checks.
             The rule book states "single shot rifles-non bolt with lead or lead alloy bullets [no gas checks ].
              Welcome aboard ramdog1------leadball

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 6:44am
Print Post  
ramdog1;
Of the two rifles mentioned, the Browning would easier to shoot for accuracy but the 7x57 would be the easier cartridge from which to shoot lead bullets. The 7 mag case is simply cavernous compared to the small powder charges normally asociated with this type of shooting (the 7x57 case is big also). If one is determined, it could be done but I would recommend looking for a powder which would fill a significant portion of the case but yield velocities in the appropriate for plain-base lead bullets.
I have to confess that the 7x57 is one of my favorite cartridges, albeit in bolt actions. The round is as old as many of our single shots and like them still performs admirably.

Don

IP Logged

ramdog1
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Thank you to Leadball & DonH for the info. I would have to say that the Browning is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, I love the gun. But I've killed plenty of deer w/ the Remington too. Nothing like a single shot, one chance to get it right.

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Mike
I have a 7mm 08 Rem. varmint. 9,5 twist and a 7mm Ackley imp. Douglas 10 twist on Jap action.that shoots 160 gr. gc cast fairly well with  25.5 gr. 4895. Your problem will be finding a plain base bullet. My interest in the 7mm started years ago with an article which showed a 7mm 10 twist would put most bullet weights into the end of a juice can at 100 yds. with same sight setting. My Ackley will do that with max loads. The 110gr go into same group as 175s do. I had one of the military 7/57 rolling blocks once and killed a lot of cans with it.
Wish I still had it.
Lots of luck
Tom

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Ramdog,
To answer your question about the 7x57 in a Roller with modern ammo. This concern came up when these older Rollers showed signs of excessive headspace, and even some heads splitting from the case in worse cases.
The design of the RB in a modern cartridge like a rimless centerfire like the 7x57, can create some ugly situations if the headspacing is a bit too much. More so than other designs such as a falling block, bolt action, or any other strong type action.
If the action is in good shape it wont be a major concern, but still there is the possiblity that it will eventually develope excess headspace in such a high pressure cartridge. 
I had one of the old 7mm Rollers when I was young, and never fired anything but factory ammo in it. Never knew any better until it split a case one day, and gave me a peppering in the face. That's when I started reading and asking. I felt sorta stupid, as everyone I asked seemed to think everyone else already knew this info. Well duh!!! Not me! Grin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ramdog1
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy:
Thanks for the info & warning. I used to handload the 7x57 w/ a Lee Loader, don't know if you ever used this contraption but you knocked out old primers and seated new ones w/ a punch and a rubber hammer (no fancy press here). It was one round at a time from de-priming to seating the bullet. All went fine till I had a primer blow when I was seating it in the case, which sent my 30 year old mind on fast forward to "what if that happened when seating the bullet?"(also done w/ the Lee tool & same hammer). The Lee Loader went to the bottom of the gun cabinet where it remains today, 25 years later. That's when I went to the factory loads.
Anyway, the Rem action looks and sounds strong, so far no problems, just love the sound it makes when you cock the hammer back.
Mike
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint