Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Mystery of Standard Deviations (Read 65438 times)
Brent
Ex Member

The Mystery of Standard Deviations
Jul 2nd, 2004 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I just typed out a long and carefully crafted note about using Standard Deviations instead of Extreme Spreads and Maximum group diameters for assessing accuracy.   

The way this webpage is set up however, I lost it when I attempted to edit the darn thing, so here is a short and skinny.

In the featured article of the most recent issue of Precision Shooting which can be seen at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and then click on the July 2004 cover photo, is a good starting discussion of why and how to use Standard Deviations.  It is a pretty elementary, article and covers only one aspect of SDs leaving much more to be gained, but it's a good start.   

It is also way better than the woefully mistaken article on the same subject a few months back in the Single Shot Exchange.   

Anyway, I was wondering how much this sort of topic interests ASSRA people and how much more ASSRA readers would be willing to learn about statistical comparisons.  Unless there really is such a thing as a rifle that is "too accurate", I think at least the most serious folks would benefit from learning to use statistics in a more sophisticated fashion.  Given the advent of computers and spreadsheets, all it takes these days is a little bit of knowledge about how to use stats and some significant effort in making the correct measurements and the machines can do the math for you.

But then again, whenever I broach the subject I'm generally shut down by being told that the oldtimers never used SDs so obviously SDs are not helpful.  While Harry Pope probably though SD meant Sheep Dip, I reckon that a hundred years of science and engineering just may have come up with a trick or two that ol' Harry could have used to his advantage if only he'd known.  Then again, maybe no one cares - just thought I'd see what the group thinks.

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: The Mystery of Standard Deviations
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Brent,

I am very intrested.  I think it depends on what match you shoot. Mimimum Group size is very important to the bench rest shooter particularly if shooting re-entry matches.

But I try to only shoot the Hudson 100 shot offhand match.  I think Standard deviation is the best measurement to determine potential scores and more important see what is required to improve.

Although many years ago I had one Statistics class Most of what I know about SD as it relates to shooting is from " The Russian Book"  Competitive Shooting by A.A. Yur Yev.  He does not call it SD but Bullet Dispersion.  Yur Yev makes the case for a analysis of targets on departure from the center.

Couple of years ago I took my 10 10 shot Hudson postal targets and overlaid them one by one on a fresh target. I put a pencil mark in the center of each hole. Then I took a hole puncher about bullet size and punched out all 100 shots.

It it intresting to look at and could be measured and analizyed. So far all I have done is figured the center of impact and size of the group in total and for the majority of shots as Yur Yev recomends.

I droped my P/S subscription a few years ago but will try to look that one up. And anything you post on the subject I am sure will be interesting

Boats

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Brent;
Go ahead. If others are not interested, they can pass right by.

I think that there might be a fair amount of interest. I know that I am sure interested if it will help, long term, in my performance.

Dale53

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 8:20am
Print Post  
This post is not a disputation of anything, rather just a statement of thought on this subject. I am certainly a believer in science and in statistical analysis but there is a nagging memory when it comes to applying them to cartridges and rifle performance, etc. For probably twenty-five years the world of modern BR shooting was ruled by the .222 Remington (only to be displaced by the PPCs). The .222 was not (according to much I have read) a low SD cartridge and yet delivered extreme accuracy. The PPCs ARE better in terms  of SD, yet beat the older round by only a tenth or two of minute of angle (and I know that is more than enough in BR competition). I guess that where I am going with is that the proof still remains in the shooting.

PS: If anyone knows from actual shooting experience that what I have read re: the .222 Rem is incorrect, I would llike to know.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 9:10am
Print Post  
DonH,
  Altho I have shot many a round thru the .222 I can't say that what you've read about it isn't true, as I have personally never found that the lowest SD/ES's ever gave me the smallest groups. You MUST have small SD/ES's in order to get small groups, but there are quite a few other factors involved in accuracy. Plus most of the time you will get lower SD's with black powder yet I don't think anyone says a black powder load/cartridge is more accurate than a smokeless one.

What you get on the chronograph is just an indicator that you are on the right track.

Also, the author said that the article would be far more applicable at distances over 200 yds., which is the max. we shoot in Schuetzen. Shilouette & long range shooters would certainly benefit more from this. I'd tend to go along with the authors assumptions and have said the same thing many times.

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 9:17am
Print Post  
DonH,
Your comments are entirely correct in so far as small SD's in some measures are no guarentee of high scores.  This is especially true when measuring velocity.  For a good example, you may find that you can achieve a near zero SD with regards to velocity when shooting an 800 gr bullet out of a .38-55. But obviously, there is little chance that it will be accurate because a bullet that long will probably not be stable once it leaves the muzzle.   

But suppose we are to measure SD's for the radial dispersion of a group shot at a target.  The article I indicated describes this rather well - but it's sorta like doing a string measure, only rather than measuring from the center of the target, it's measured from the center of the group.  A small SD in this case is a good  indication of precision.  In fact, it is proof of a level of precision.  Nonetheless, if the group was shot ignoring the wind, or with the sights consistently misaligned or any of a host of other things, it may well be that this very precise group (small SD) is off in the 17 ring on a 25 ring target - in other words a great group in the wrong place.   

How many times have you said, "if I just centered that up on the target, it would be a great score"?  Happens to me all the time because I screw up with regards to one or more steps along the way.   

So, SDs are just a tool that helps, but not a magic cure all that will instantly make you into a world-class shooter.  Accuracy on the target is the summation of a huge number of variables and steps, each one having some degree of influence on the final outcome.  And while one or two of those steps may be executed close to perfection, if the rest of them are done poorly, the result is bad scores.   

So, never confuse a smaller SD with a guarentee of higher scores, but rather with having improved the steps involved in that one process that is being measured.   

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Brent

I may be getting into something I don't understand but, SD is a measurement method, It can measure any group or block of data.

Using SD to measure varance in velocity is only one thing it can be used for. Frankly I don't care much about my SD when it comes to velocity. I use a tried and true load and have no plans to test it or vary it.  It could be usefull to compare say my 32/40 with 32 Miller short but unless I plan to switch barrels there is no point in paying any attention to that. I may use it to compare different powders but having a large supply of 4227 no sense in spending time on that either. Same with the bullet mold, It's fixed.  And having experimented with the powder charge and primers a long time ago velicoty varance is not important to me.

My interest in SD is how far from Center I can expect 100 of my .32 bullets to fall fired offhand at 200 yards.   Since that's the way the target is scored that's all I care about.  I think SD would be a good way to calculate my potential score.  I am just not sure how to go about it. 

I think the way to start is measure distance from center 100 shots fired under match conditons fell.  That is the body of data to start with.  But from that point I don't have any idea of how to proceed. 

Boats

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
I started analyzing my groups (or maybe patterns) years ago, when a fellow schuetzen addict and I took a couple of university courses in statistics.  Here is our method.  If you have an Excel (or other) spreadsheet it saves time.   

Lay or construct a grid over your target. A T-square & triangle will be helpful.  If you are shooting at a bull, it may better not to use the bull or x-ring as the center of the grid.  Just number the bullet holes and assign them horizontal (X) values and vertical (Y) values from an arbitrary point (the center of the grid).  I use inches & 1/100s for my measurements, but anything should work as long as the measurements are consistent from hole to hole.  The mean of the Xs and the mean of the Ys will give the X & Y coordinates for the center of the group.  Then compute the difference between each individual X and the mean X and the difference between each individual Y and the mean Y.  Then square each difference (individual X and corresponding individual Y), add each pair of differences together, and take the square root of each pair.  (The Pythagorean Theorem revisited).  That gives you a measurement of radial dispersion from the center of the group.  Now calculate means & SDs on the radial dispersion figures.  I use this to evaluate the effects of changing lubes or powder charges, or just about anything else.

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2004 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
waterman
A excellent software program for target analysis is RSI shooting program, check it out at wwwl.shootingsoftware.com  . Part of the program is a target quadrant analysis.  Their website explains and shows the whole program, and has a sample download.
GWarden
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 10:37am
Print Post  

I think one of the first things to understand about Standard Deviations is that they are a measure of the variability of whatever it is you are measuring.  Whether it's distance from the center of a group for each shot, or the velocity of each shot, the SD is the measure of the amount of variability.  The square of the SD is called the VARIANCE and it is similarly a measure of the variability of the measure.  If you know SD then you know Variance, so let's just stick with SD as they tell you exactly the same thing.   

Below is a sample of something that you might find when using your chronograph.  These two strings produce the same average velocity.  They both produce exactly the same ES too.  But you can see that the SDs are considerably different.

Load #1      Load #2
     1282      1282
     1307      1301
     1298      1302
     1295      1303
     1307      1300
     1306      1301
     1293      1302
     1305      1302
     1307      1307
Average      1300      1300
St. Dev      8.233      6.633
E. Spred      25      25

Now, of course, there is no way of knowing which of these loads will shoot best, but first indications are that the second load is more predictable from shot to shot that the first load.   

The bottom line is that ES does not contain much information, it is also highly sensitive to sample size (number of shots per load or group), and does not well characterize the precision (repeatability) of whatever is being measure.

Of course, you can often get by using ES because they tend to run the same direction more or less as SD, but because they are less informative, when you are trying to make small improvements, ES can be very misleading and even SD can sometimes not be as perfect as you would hope. 

I'll try to post something about how to statistically determine if two loads are shooting differently in another post.

Brent

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
We should keep this stuff about statistics in perspective.  Keep in mind that the whole business of statistics was invented about a century ago, about the time our beloved schuetzen rifles became breechloaders, and that the science of statistics was developed by a couple of mathematicians in the employ of breweries.  Statistical signifigance was invented as a means of testing whether or not some combination of brewing and marketing beer was really effective in putting a few more bob in the Guiness till.  We shooters of singleshots really only need a couple of simple rules of thumb.  Is the mean of whatever you are measuring greater than the variance?  If not, something is amiss.  Most of us shoot at low velocities and the real results are found on the target, be it in scores or in tight groups.  Either scores or measurements of radial dispersion or string measure will tell us what we want to know.  If changing some component of our loading tightens groups, then we should use it.  Our "target market" is easily defind:  Targets; easily counted, tallied or scored or whatever.  The brewers "target market" was some unidentified number of beer drinkers, not readily counted nor was their beer consumption easily tallied.  Statistics was invented as a cheap surrogate for counting, tallying or measuring.  The old timers did not need statistics because they had scores or string measure.  Now we have spreadsheets and canned programs to perform a horde of analyses.  We can put some sort of numerical value on our tests.  I use the measurement of radial dispersion and rejoice in seeing differences in procedures that tighten my groups by 0.005", but in the end, the results are the same as if I used string measure, except that I am not as embarrassed when my groups fall wide of the mark.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Waterman, 
I really don't follow much of what you posted.  There is a historic connetion between Guinness beer and a well renowned statistician, but frankly, in the big picture of stats, it doesn't go very far.  And it had even less to do with counting beer drinkers.   

That aside, I'm willing to wager that anything you feel will make a 0.005" difference in group size is really just a figment of your imagination and not actually happening in the real world.   

And that is the problem with folks that do not understand nor use statistics.  Many are happy as clams and many will out shoot me, but they would shoot even better and be even happier if they used statistics constructively.

There are two basic errors to be dealt with when using statistics.  Not surprisingly, they are called Type 1 and Type 2 errors.   

As we all know, any of us will shoot two targets with ammunition as perfectly indentical as we can make it, under conditions as unchanging as we can hope for, and with technique that is as unwavering as possible, and yet get two very different results.  Why is this?  pure chance is of course the simplest answer and easy to understand.  A rifle/ammo/shooter/conditions combination that averages 1 MOA will not shoot exactly 1 MOA every time.  That is the nature of the beast and the reason why we need statistics.

So, what are these types of errors that we need to avoid?  Type 1 (T1) is the most commonly considered.  It is the probability that the difference in two observations (think of them as two different targets shot with two different loads) are in fact, the result of a true difference.  That is they really do perform differently and the difference is not just pure chance.  Statistics, in it's most precise definition can tell us that the likelyhood that the two observations (targets) have the same properties (come from a system with the same accuracy), is of a given probability.  If that probability is small enough, we might conclude that they are, indeed different, and proceed from there.  If the probability is not especially small, then we might be wary of concluding anything.  We could decide to test some more or to decide that they are the same.   

Type 2 (T2) is the probability that the two observations are indeed different, but we can't see detect the difference.  This is less commonly considered explicitly, but here is an example.  Suppose that you have two loads that differ only in primers.  But the loads, or the rifle, or you or the wind when testing, are not particularly good so that both loads shoot in the neighborhood of 4-5 MOA.  If one of those primers is actually contributing a 0.25 MOA inprovement in accuracy, you are not likely to detect the difference under these conditions unless you shoot extremely large numbers of targets.   

On the other hand, suppose your normal load and shooting system is running right around 1 MOA and now you make that same change of primers and get that 0.25 MOA improvement.  Now, in relatively few targets, you will be able to detect that difference with a high degree of confidence.  This "confidence" is called statistical Power and it is directly related to T2.   

So, having bored most of you, and for sure, turned off a few folks, how do you apply all of this to shooting directly?  I think there are two ways.

One is the direct methods that I can describe in gory detail if anyone cares.  I could even make up an Excel spreadsheet I think that would do most of it for anyone willing to trouble with it.  But I suspect that most ASSRA folks are pretty unlikely to do that so I won't waste my time or anyone else's if no one is going to use it anyway.

The other use is to at least understand the general principles, some of which I've tried to lay out here and use them in an informal and implicit method.  Many of you already do, including the most anti-statistics shooter of them all (and he knows who he is, because I've beat him over the head with this dead horse a million times to no effect).   

Some of those general principles would include using SD's instead of SE's to make decisions.  The best thing you can do with the SE is to throw it out!  The one exception to that is if you cannot calculate the SD.  It's a crutch that is better than nothing but that's all it is.   

The second thing you can do is to think about how you decide what constitutes an improved load.  If you are in the early stages with a recalcitrant rifle (as I am with my .38), then all you can hope to find shooting a few groups with each load, are differences that are relatively large improvements.  Those things that seem to have no effect or perhaps even a backwards effect need to be revisited after you have refined the load a bit more.

I could write more, but this darn thing won't let me.  This website has a few strange properties to be sure.

Brent

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Brent;
Your post and the follow ups have received 208 "views". Statistically, I would say that there IS interest (LOL).

Keep 'em coming. I certainly am interested in what you have to say. I'm beginning to get the idea. As you have stated, it's when we really get down to "fine tuning" that statistics can really help us. AFTER we have reached the one minute mark "on average".

The really good bench shooters are in the one-half minute range, and I am not there yet. I am in the process of tuning my equipment, including bench set up and technique. ANY help in that regard thru the use of statistics or whatever will be welcomed by me.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
" Many of you already do, including the most anti-statistics shooter of them all (and he knows who he is, because I've beat him over the head with this dead horse a million times to no effect). "

Brent,
  Gee! I didn't know you cared!!  Grin

Actually tho I hope you keep discussing this SD thing even tho the Forums program seems to be giving you fits. Keep hacking away at it.

I'll go along with the SD thinking as being valuable, and I'm beginning to see that it is more important than ES in figuring out if one load is better than another.

I think our disagreement is in the statiscal analysis part where you've told me you need a 100 shots to be meaningful, statistically, when I figure three or four five shot groups will tell me all I need to know about that load.

The way I'm seeing it now is that SD will tell me more postively that what I see with those three or four groups is true. Thus if on succesive days under varying conditions I'm not able to shoot up to the norm the SD's will tell me that, in fact, it's me, or the conditions, and not the load.

The work I just got done doing with the .38/55 tho shows how you can have nice SD's that should indicate that you should be shooting around that MOA mark or under, but in reality are getting 5 + MOA. You just can't use SD's, or statistical analysis to figure out where the problem is. You can only use it to verify when you have the problem under control.

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Pete,
You don't always need 100 shots.  Sometimes, just 5-10 will tell, but again, it depends on the size of the true difference in the two loads being compared and the overall accuracy of the loads you are starting with.   

SDs or SEs when used for velocities measurement only tell you about velocity, which is one small componet of accuracy.  Well, maybe not small, but only one component.  Stability of the bullet, wind, aiming accuracy are all part of the equation that is summarized on the target.

I'm preparing a webpage for my next diatribe.  I'll post it tomorrow or the next day.

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Brent,
  Well, I see we're getting closer and closer to agreeing on the same points. Glad I'm geting you trained!  Smiley

Seriously.... Will you be setting up that Excel program on your web site, and will it be set up so we can use it?

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Pete,
I don't know how I'll set it all up.  It is NOT a small chore.  But for sure, I'll put in a program so that anyone can calculate their mean and standard deviation distances for each shot from the center of a group, and a t statistic that can be used for hypothesis testing - and a manual on how to use the program and a long discussion on how to conduct such a test and god knows what else.  Not sure about the spread sheet though.  That is just for making demonstration targets that I can use to explain things.  

All of this takes some time, which is precious, so don't hold your breath.  And, if you knocking me off of my chair by saying things like you are coming around to seeing how SDs are better than ES, I would have a lot more time.  Darn near swallowed my keyboard on that one.

And don't forget, you can use statistics on a heck of a lot more than just velocity data.  What I am discussing here, refers to ANYTHING you wish to matter, and group size being one of the better indicators, it might be useful to stop thinking about just velocities.  I can get my .38 to shoot 10-shot SDs in the 1-2 fps range, but the damn rifle shoots 2-5 MOA nonetheless.  Where the problem lies, I do not know, but it's not in the loads' consistency.

Brent
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2004 at 10:55am by »  

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Brent,
  Well, didn't mean to upset you so much with my statement of coming around...... partially ..... to your way of thinking.  Smiley  Hope you didn't hurt yourself!! Between your explanations here and that FAIRLY clear article in PS I can see where SD would be better than ES's. I'm not gonna commit on statistical analysis (SA) being useful in all phases of shooting tho, so don't get your hopes up to far.

I realise that setting up a web page with all the things you need in order to show us the "true way" is not gonna be an easy task. I have no idea how you're gonna do it, and I've set up my own web site. But figure if it can be done you'll be able to do it. We ain't going anywhere so do what you can, when you can.

On your .38/55. Your problem is the part where I think SA really falls down. As you say, your SD's are great, but the results on the target aren't. There is no way SA can help you there. It can only show you what you can expect from the loads you have prepared. Your problem is just gonna have to take a lot of grunt work to figure out. Hopefully we can find some of the answers this weekend.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 7:15am
Print Post  
I have trouble with variation in both group size and SD of group size. I don't understand the relationship between N and an estimator of SD, S. Let's say we use calculated sample SD as an estimator of population SD(rather than range or one of the other estimates), what is the relationship of N to S?
I read about velo0city SD's of x.xx, yet with N =20 or above, my velocity SD's are XX.XX, frequently in the 20's or 30's of FPS.
I shoot a set of 5 groups with an average of 1" and SD of .2".
Next week, samo samo, 1.3" and .45". 
What is the N required to achieve what degree of confidence that the pop.mean group size is between A and B, and that the pop. SD is between C and D.

This is trouble for me, and I've taught statistics.
I'm beginning to think that the RANGE may be a better small sample estimator of SD than calc SD, after all, we use Range as the SD estimator in SQC.
Also, I never see mention of the term "in control". Sets of numbers, group shapes or velocities that aren't somewhat normally distributed hint at a process that isn't in control, measurement is futile. If your groups aren't round, you've got to fix that before stats can help at all.

There's a lot of dissension in the Stat world now about what quantity of what data is required before we can make certain statements-my feeling is that we've been more positive than we had any right to be for many years.

The PC is changing that. Put your chrono. velocities into an EXCEl  spreadsheet, say 25 of them, in order. Then look at calc SD for the first 10, then 11, then 12,...Note how SD varies-sometimes it's crazy!! The real world and miraculously easy calculation maybe make the theorist/mathematician start to rethink his ability to make statements.
Enough;
joe b.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Joe, 
If there is controversy in the stats world, it surely is not with respect to sample sizes for simple tests such as we do.  Baysian statistics vs standard parametrics might yet be considered a "great" controversy, but we ain't there.

Next, how do you know if your groups are not round?  If one group is a 1.5" by 2.5" group unround? Could SDs give you a hint about that?  You bet.  But to know that a group is unround is something that can be dealt with statistically and it's not even that hard.  - essentially, you would compare the mean displacement from the group's center in the horizontal dimension with the mean displacement in the verticle dimension.  A conventional two-sample t-test (comparison of means) would suffice nicely.   

Since you have taught statistics - you know that distributions have infinite tails, and you know that the probably of finding a datum in any sample of size whatever from the extreme of either tail is totally dependent on sample size.  Hence it is not a very useful measure.  Also, having obtained a range or ES, you then procede to do what?  You cannot use it in a t-test, or an Anova, or much of anything.  You could use a bunch of range estimates in a formal statistical test, but the distributions of such tests are not known to me, and I have never seen anyone do such a thing.  You will not find it in any stats text that I'm aware of.  Think of it this way, an SD uses all the information contained in each and every shot to characterize a variance (square of the SD).  Variance is a property that is very very well understood but statisticians.  SEs use information from only 2 shots regardless of how many you shot.  And, it tells you nothing about any distribution-defining parameter.   

Perhaps the best thing for you to do sometime, besides pulling out your old stats texts and looking at simple parametric comparsions of means (t-tests being the most obvious and simple, ANOVA being a possibility as well I suppose) would be to shoot 100 rounds or so, and plot SD for the first 2 shots, the first 3 shots, the first 4 shots, etc. up to 100 shots, and see what happens.  It is not "crazy".

FWIW, I have now written a program that will allow you to enter all the shots from a pair of targets and provides mean and SD estimates for the distances of each shot from the group center and also calculates a simple t-test comparison of means for a 1-tailed hypothesis testing (is my new load better than my old reference load?), estimating approximate confidence you can have that the two loads do indeed differ.

I will eventually post that software and a tutorial, example and description of what and why this is done on a website.  But right now, I'm going to go out and make a 100 shot comparison of Lapua Midas L and Wolf Match Extra ammo to decide once and for all, which is better.

Adios,
Brent

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Brent,
I am following this discussion with great interest. I am NOT being argumentative, but I would like to point out one thing in your last post:

>>>But right now, I'm going to go out and make a 100 shot comparison of Lapua Midas L and Wolf Match Extra ammo to decide once and for all, which is better. <<<

What you are going to do is to make a comparison of a "particular lot" of Lapua Midas L and a "particular lot" of Wolf Match Extra...

This test, nor any other particular test will tell you the difference between Lapua or Wolf - only those "particular lots" involved.

One thing that I have a problem with in testing particular loads in both centerfire and rimfire rifles: Since I have to test in the real world (I do not have a Mann type tunnel) then conditions play an inordinate part in the calculations. Of course, when testing, I try to pick the best conditions available, but that is NOT easy. We do not allow shooting on our local range before 9:00 A.M. The best times are often in the evening but then our local range is often being used by scheduled events at that time. Life is tough, even when you are retired, as I am Tongue.

Keep this most interesting discussion going. We have much to learn.

Dale53

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Dale, perhaps you are right.  I'm not so sure that lot to lot variation is quite as real as it often is credited for.  Again, because I'm not confident, or even aware of the data from whence these conclusions come.   

But I am pretty sure that different BRANDS of ammo are quite different.  For one thing, Lapual Midas L uses an oversize bullet relative to all the other ammo that I'm aware of.  Wolf Match Extra hits about 4" higher on the target at 100 yds so it is presumably considerably faster.  I'm willing to wager that whatever the batch to batch variation, the brand to brand variation is greater, and that is where I'm going to start.   

FWIW, I got in 45 rounds of each brand of bullet this morning before the rain arrived and with it wind.  Until then, it was darn fine shootin'.  Now to see what I actually go for results.   

Brent

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Ed Wosika has a program that figures the x,y location of each shot wrt the group center. He has written extensively in The Fouling Shot, the CBA paper. There's a scanner-based method of doing the calcs. 
The software is available, it's all been done for us. A question on the CB-L would get it for you.
The pop SD, MU, is unknown. The calc SD (root-mean-square-deviation or rms deviation) or S is an estimator of MU . The range is also used as an estimator of MU in SQC or SPC as many call it now. Range, with unbiasing multipliers, has been used as an estimator of MU for many years. Then, one might ask, if the Range, which uses only the two furthest apart values in a sample, is an adequate estimator of SD, then why isn't group size, which uses only the two furthest apart shots in a group, an adequate measure of variation, or even SD. Remember, we're interested in variation, not SD particularly. Although there's clearly a relationship between the group size and the SD of bullet variation from the center of the group. 
If the groups aren't round, the process ain't in control, and we've taught people for years that one cannot make stats based statements about a process that ain't in control. Cause there's more than one process happening. Vertical stringing or horizontal stringing or 4 in one place and 1 in another are easily read indications that the process ain't in control. 
My opinion, after a lot of research, is that group size is how matches are scored, it's an easy and cheap and simple measurement, it works just fine, and the application of statistical techniques to shooting is a sign of somebody with an excess of statistical enthusiasm.
I've lived through 3 waves of applying stats to business, the arithmetic is available and bearably easy to understand. The waves have crashed, in my opinion because stats doesn't describe the business world/manufacturing world adequately.
Tomorrow I'll look for Ed Wosika's stuff, and some sites describing the current controversy.
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Joe b.,

I pretty well agree with your summation as I've argued that math isn't altogether useful for determining accuracy or reliability of any given load.  Personally I've never seen the best load SD-wise shoot the best. You have to have a good SD/ES but that doesn't mean it shoots the best.

But you're losing me when you say if a group isn't round the process isn't in control. What do you mean by process or control..... The load isn't good, or I'm not in control for having shot a non round group?

I'll freely admit what you guys are talking about is WAY beyond my 8th grade education, but if I get what you're talking about as far as "round groups" go, it means to me an actual group that's round. Doesn't happen that often in the real world just thru normal distribution of the shots, and the myriad other factors effecting a group. A case in point is target #1 that I put up on my web site. The measurement shown is 9/16" but if you measure across the next widest C to C it's also 9/16", yet that is far from being a round group.

The SD of target #2 suggests that all other groups shot with this load/alloy have a pretty good confidence level that it will repeat. And in fact it does, most of the time, thru using that combo as a reference for all other testing. SD also bounces around quite a bit, as a group I shot with that combo had half the SD of the above, and the group shows it, being about half the above, altho it is strung out horizontally.

So somewhere you're leaving me behind here, unless round to you means something it doesn't to me.

PETE

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 1:41am
Print Post  
I like the concept of a round group. This is how I understand the concept.  If all the external factors are under control, no or uniform wind, rifle properly bedded, sight blocks tight (I shot 20+ rounds a while ago with the front block loose), etc., etc., and if the rifle is sighted so that your bullets strike the middle of the 25-ring or other aiming point, then a large number of shot holes would be randomly distributed in all 4 quadrants.  That means if you shot enough times, the average horizontal displacement from the center and the average vertical displacement from the center would be about the same and you would have a "round" group and you are testing the ammunition  The trials of .22 ammunition should demonstrate this.  If the shot holes are not randomly distributed about the aiming point, perhaps an external factor is "in control".

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 6:14am
Print Post  
We say that the process (shooting the gun) is "in control" when the measurement of the output is kind of distributed normally, the bell curve. For groups, that would mean that the groups are round. Now round is sort of subjective, but we all know exactly what I'm talking about. You know a round group when you see it, and a non-round group too. Wednesday I shot a M54 Winchester 30/30 at 100 yds with 311299, and a contender 7TCU at 50 yds with 139 Hornaday. The 30/30 load is what I shoot in my SS bench gun/martini. The M54 averaged 1.192" for 8 "round" groups, the contender shot 1.975", 2.0" and 2.15" groups that were maybe twice as high as they were round. 
The 30/30 was "in control", the 7TCU was "out of control". Something other than random variation was affecting the pistol, my guess is that there isn't enough powder-the ignition is varying, and MV varies. The pistol doesn't have one process going on, it has a maybe 1400 fps process, a 1450 fps process, a 1500 fps process.....
There's no statistics applied to the pistol that makes sense.
The process is out of control.
The traditional CBA/ASSRA "oh shit" group has 4 in a single hole, and the fifth out toward Cleveland somewhere. The process is out of control-something happened, and if we can find out what that something is, we can fix it. Exotic measurement techniques won't help.

joe b.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 6:38am
Print Post  
For Ed Wosika's work on stats for shooting, start at
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
For some more-than-boring discussion of the controversy going on in stats, try
or enter "statistical inference disagreement" for instance in Google, and prepare to lose consciousness.
The cites above demonstrate that we've got far too many people in this country who should be doing something else.
joe b.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Brent;

>>>But I am pretty sure that different BRANDS of ammo are quite different.  For one thing, Lapual Midas L uses an oversize bullet relative to all the other ammo that I'm aware of.  Wolf Match Extra hits about 4" higher on the target at 100 yds so it is presumably considerably faster.  I'm willing to wager that whatever the batch to batch variation, the brand to brand variation is greater, and that is where I'm going to start.   <<<

I am certainly in agreement here. My previous statement was predicated on the fact that I have considerable problems trying to fine tune my .22 ammo selection. I buy a small quantity of various brands and lots of ammo. By the time I get to the range on a "good" day, select which is best, no more of that particular lot is available. Sheesh!!

With a tuner on a bolt gun, at least you can "help" a "not so perfect" selection. However, with Single Shot rules , I cannot use a tuner so I am stuck with brand selection. I finally give up in disgust and just buy a case or two of what "looks good". Not really the best way around it, but there it is - the REAL world.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 10:56am
Print Post  
joe b.,

I guess we need to know a little more about what you consider "out of control". Your example is way out in left field as far as bench Schuetzen goes.

Yesterday I was working up a new lot of powder. As an aside it was amazing how much I had to change the powder charge to get the same accuracy and MV. Anyway.... This gun on a calm day shoots 5 shots at 100 yds. right at 9/16". When I had this latest lot worked up the MV's were the same and so was the accuracy. BUT.... Four shots were inside 1/4", and the group was strung out in a horizontal line.

Now if I get your thinking right since this group was not round and had one shot out, it was "out of control". In fact, in only one or two instances I've never seen a round group with this combo.

Since I also gather you're not much of a fan of statistical analysis, how would you go about determining whether this was just an odd distribution, or "out of control"? To me there are many things that could have caused that "flyer". Me not having good enuf control of the gun, a bad bullet, or maybe a condition caught me.

This is where I think Brent's argument for statistical analysis helps us. The SD for this group was 3.6 and the ES was 7.1, If you care to look at that target I posted..... #2..... you will see that approx. the same SD/ES gave the same size group.

So, I feel in this case that statistical analysis gave us a clue that it was the norm for this load even tho the group wasn't round, and that the load was "out of control".

Of course there is always the possibility that another load combo will give better results, but for this combo it appears as tho this is the best that can be done.

I will agree that if the "flyer" is way out then we need to figure out what the problem is, and in the above case statistical analysis shows it's probably not the load, since the SD/ES show it's pretty good for smokeless powder. But supposing the SD/ES showed like the above but we had a flyer out in left field. On repeating the same test we got the same results. Then we would have to look somewhere else since the load appears to be ok. We could then assume that there was something wrong with the gun, bullet, or our shooting ability. Without that SD/ES data we wouldn't have a clue as to where the problem might lay.

This is why I agree with both you and Brent to some degree. Statistical analysis give you a clue as to what's happening, but the size of the group and it's "roundness" tell us a lot to. Using both together, and not believing either is the only truth is what's needed..... in my opinion.

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Joe B,
I wrote another long dissertation concerning each of your points.  Of course, it was "too long" to post, according to the damn websoftware.  Told me to go back and modify it, and, of course, there was nothing there to go back to.  

But really, it was a waste of my time anyway, since you already know all about statistics and how they are so damn useless.  

But since you know all this stuff that I surely don't, perhaps you can tell me which of the targets on this webpage were made with a gun that was "in control", or out of control - horizontal, or out of control - verticle?  Cause w/o stats, I surely cannot tell...

Brent

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2004 at 5:16pm by »  

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Two short & simple observations, JMO:

Dale & Brent, I'm with you on the 22 ammo. I choose the most accurate brand for each rifle and then just buy as many bricks of the same lot as I can afford. Other methods have proven frustrating & time-wasting for me.

Re velocity SDs as a measure or predictor of accuracy, it's only true at long range IMO. I posit that any load with wide ES & SD will be inaccurate at long range while at short range the ES & SD seem to have very little relationship to actual group size in many cases. IOW some of the most accurate loads at 100 yds may have wide velocity ES and high SD, but these same loads that were quite accurate at short range will show vertical dispersion at 800 yds. JMO

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 7:00am
Print Post  
Brent et al;
I love the range. The calculated standard deviation from a sample of data is an estimate of the population SD. The range, corrected for bias, is also an estimator of SD.
One may use either estimate of SD in any calculation.
On your targets; 3 and 5 are round looking groups, 2,6 and 8 are not. I don't think that we can say that the process is in or out of control based on 5 shots = 1 group. Statements about control maybe need 5 groups or so for validity. What I will tell you is that if those targets were shot with the same equipment/load in about the same conditions, then the shooting process is out of control and something other than statistics needs to be done.
I don't dislike statistical analysis, don't  think I know it all (Anybody who thinks they do should look at "Bias in Mental Testing" by Herrnstein?).
Have at it, enjoy yourself, I was once a true believer myself, and I know how it feels to be able to change the world. 
Did you look at the Ed Wosika stuff?
joe b.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 6:19pm
Print Post  

Joe, range is NEVER an estimate of SD.  SD is the root of the sum of the differences between the mean and each observation.  The range is what?  Max difference between to observations.  Nothing more.  SD is, what?, technically the root of the second moment of the stocastic process?  Not that it matters.  The one precise point is that SD being the root of the variance is one of two parameters that describe most stochastic distributions and most especially the Normal distribution.  Range describes nothing other than the max-min.   

Identifying or defining a distribution is critical.  Why?  So you can compare them of course.  How can you say two things are differen if you don't know what they are?  And, indeed, you need to know SD to know what they are.  The mean being the other critical parameter (except in the case of exponential distributions and a few others which are described by only one parameter).    

For what it's worth, if you number those groups
1 2 3 
4 5 6
7 8 9 

All the odd groups were "shot" by a random cannon having 33% more vertical dispersion than horizontal dispersion.  All the even numbered groups were shot by a random cannon having identical horizontal and vertical distributions of dispersion.  There is no wind, no velocity variation, no nothing except raw stochasticity.   

My point is, you cannot know what is "in control" or not in control by your definition (BTW, the half dozen advanced stats texts in my office, the phrase "in control" is found in none of them), without statistical testing.  And, for what it is worth, we still have not discussed stastical testing, which is the entire point.  How do you use a range to conduct a statistical analysis?  I have found such a way.  But it's via calculating SDs again.  CAn't get away from that.  I know of exactly zero statistical measures that are used in testing and analysis that directly use range in their formulation.   

Brent

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality and Re: The Mystery of Standard Deviations
Reply #33 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Well, Brent, I'd refer you to 
or
or search on "range standard deviation"
or 
control chart
or statistical process control
The range has been used as an estimator of SD since at least 1931, when Shewhart sort of invented SPC.
When I entered graduate school (Economics, MA, 1972, Northeastern University, Boston, MA) several math and stat teachers balked, as you did-saying it ain't so. About 10 minutes with "Statistical Quality Control" by Grant, now Grant & Leavenworth last I looked, boogered their minds. 
Quality and Statistical Process Control
Here's a little info:
Prof. Sid Sytsma – Ferris State University
Statistical Process Control 

"Shewhart's discovery statistical process control or SPC, is a methodology for charting the process and quickly determining when a process is "out of control" (e.g., a special cause variation is present because something unusual is occurring in the process)."
A few minutes on the computer will explain all about using the RANGE as an estimator of SD, and what "in control" and "out of control" mean. 
Perhaps, Brent, you don't know quite everything that you think you know?
Look it up, Brent, do the work
joe b.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Or:
Robust Estimation of the Process Standard Deviation for Control Charts 
Lawrence G. Tatum 

Control charts are tools used to detect aberrant behavior in manufacturing processes. The X chart plots subsample averages as a function of time, and the R chart plots subsample ranges. Both of these charts rely on an estimate of the standard deviation of the process when it is operating correctly. The estimate has traditionally been based on the average
range
of 20–40 subgroups, but this will produce an estimate that is biased high when outliers are present. One standard solution is to construct a range chart for the original subgroups and estimate the standard deviation only from those subgroups within the control limits, repeating the procedure as necessary. Proposals have also recently been made to use a trimmed mean of the subsample ranges with a fixed percentage of trimming, as well as the trimmed mean of the subsample interquartile ranges. This article presents a new approach to robust estimation of the process standard deviation. The procedure first centers each subsample on its own median and then applies a modified biweight A estimator to the pooled residuals. This method combines the strengths of the previous methods—the relatively high efficiency of the range-based methods when no disturbance is present, together with the strong resistance to disturbances of the trimmed interquartile range method. 

It's just everywhere.
joe b.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
JoeB;

>>>Perhaps, Brent, you don't know quite everything that you think you know? 
Look it up, Brent, do the work 
joe b. <<<

Disagree all you want. You do NOT have to insult everyone who disagrees with you. You nearly ruined the last forum before you were removed. How about "chilling down" a bit?

You and others have a lot to contribute. We need this forum to remain civil for ALL of our benefits.

R. Dale McGee
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2004 at 8:13pm by Dale53 »  

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Dale,

I agree with you. I'd hate to see this interesting discussion go by the wayside because of a few hot words in "The heat of battle". I'll admit that most of this is over my head and I'm struggling to get this all straight. Would be a shame if it had to end just when it's starting to penetrate.

Disagreement is a fact of life, and in a lot of cases is a way to learn of our mistakes, or a verification of what we believe, thru the give and take of discussion.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Perhaps my manner is offensive. When I read that "The range is NEVER...", that is kind of offensive. I used and taught SPC/SQC for 40 years, and telling me that it ain't just gets me riled up.
As I said when I entered the fray, my interest is in the variability of group size.
For instance, Pete says that his rifle shoots into 9/16" for 5 shots at 100 yards on a quiet day. 
I don't know what he means by that. 
Is this the best group, or 1 in 5, or an average, or what?
In 2002 at the CBA Nationals, for an average of 4 five shot 100 yard groups, one of 41 shooters shot less than 9/16" = .5625", and only 4 shot under .6"
In 2003 4 of 49 shooters averaged under .6".
I record group sizes for every group shot. I find that my groups vary widely from group to group on the same day, and from day to day with identical loads, and they seem to get smaller the more I shoot on any given day.
In the 1997 Handloaders Digest, "Let's put some numbers on accuracy" by Paul Schiffelbein, PhD  says that 185 five shot groups are required to get a variability estimate that is good to within +/- 5%.
Maybe this is true, I hope not. My shift from IMR4227 to AA#9 in my Martini 30/30 bench gun was driven by far fewer groups, although the question was slightly different.
My query is kind of f-testy, variation within the data vs. variation between the data. If my gun shoots from .25" to 1.25"  over a long run, is that to be expected or is something wrong?
I hope that this hasn't been overly offensive.
When is the next ASSRA Journal coming?
joe b.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 8:48am
Print Post  
JoeB;
NOW, we are talking language that I can understand (I'm not a mathematician - just high school algebra, geometry, and a bit of calculus, most of which I have forgotten due to lack of use Embarrassed). However, the question of how many groups to base conclusions on is something that we all need to know.

It would be MUCH easier to make decisions on loads, bullet etc, if we were able to shoot in a tunnel. That's why Charlie Dell and friends built a cloth tunnel as per Mann. However, since I have no reasonable access to a tunnel, short of driving from SW Ohio to Virginia, then I must make my conclusions based on a limited number of "tests" at our local range when conditions are good.

Personally, I am pretty much satisfied when five consecutive five shot groups are averaged and fall within my expectations. Whether that is statistically correct, I haven't a clue. I rather agree with you that I certainly hope that it doesn't take 185 groups to be sure because it "ain't gonna happen". Undecided

Regarding your question about the Journal, DWS has answered that in the topic just under this one (I too, am eagerly awaiting the next issue). The transition from Editor to Editor has been difficult but it looks like our wait may be over soon. I am optimistic that after the Journal is up and running, it will be back on keel and received in a timely manner.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 10:18am
Print Post  
joe b.,

"For instance, Pete says that his rifle shoots into 9/16" for 5 shots at 100 yards on a quiet day.  
I don't know what he means by that."

Ok... I can see I need to be a little more specific for you. So here are the last ten group sizes.

3/4" - 5/8" - 9/16" - 9/16" - 9/16" - 7/8" - 1/2" - 11/16" - 3/8" - 9/16".

Out of these ten I would say only two are "round". The rest have at least one shot that at least increases the group by half.

Of course, in my opinion these mean nothing without the conditions they were shot under. No more than one of these groups was shot on any given day, as I was using this load as a control for other testing. The smaller groups all were shot under "ideal" conditions. 7 AM in the morning, dead calm, target and ground in shade with no sign of mirage. The larger groups were shot on days at about the same time but some wind was present, varying from 7 to 3 o'clock depending on the day. The same condition was tried for but I can't say I hit it exactly every time.

Since I shoot every day I don't record every shot, but do keep the targets till I have decided that a particular load combo is the best or not worth pursuing. But I do agree with you that groups will vary within the same day, and day to day. When you reach a certain level with you gun/load you need some way of confirming that it is the best load. This is where I think some math program would be of benefit.

Both GWarden and myself are both having a hard time figuring out whether..... in my case a 1-25 or 1-30 alloy is best, and GWarden has the same problem with 1-20, & 1-25. What we need is something SIMPLE that can tell us over a fairly decent interval of shooting which would be the best. Both of us, I think have fired enuf of each alloy that we should be able to tell, but one day one will be better, and the next the other. Seems like we can go on forever like this and not be able to decide.

PETE

P.S.  Since Brent is a personal friend of mine I won't get into who's manner is most offensive. I'll only say that it's not how you perceive yourself, it's how others perceive you that counts. Both of you should state your case and leave the personalities out!

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Like Dale, I tend to be a little more empirical in my approach to any sort of testing and prediction of results. A 95% confidence level is the standard that's pretty much required if you're seeking peer acceptance and government or other official approval, but it's CERTAINLY not necessary for our purposes. In my prior occupation (nuclear) folks' lives were at stake so a 95% confidence level was mandatory and all the testing was done to very rigid ASTM & NRC guidelines with detailed record-keeping and complete accountability. SD, ES, Coefficient of Variation etc etc had to meet rigid parameters before acceptance & approval were granted, no exceptions.

But we don't need (or want) that kind of detailed testing for most of our questions. I agree that 5 5-shot groups are usually enough to give a pretty good indication, 10 10-shot groups would be better but that's about the limit of practicality for most folks and most situations IMO.

I've so far fired about 500 shots in my set trigger testing and will fire AT LEAST that many more, but that large number is primarily for the benefit of any Doubting Thomas out there. I was essentially convinced of the trend after the first 200 shots but will continue anyway in order to quantify the results as much as possible. The direction & trend of the results is no longer in doubt.

The question of whether anything is 'in control' or 'out of control' is unclear in my mind due to the murkiness of the explanation/definition. A non-round group does not IMO indicate anything except possible stringing or lack of consistency. Lack of consistency is not necessarily being 'out of control' but I suppose it can meet someone's definition.

One example: pick an accurate load, most any accurate load that gives round groups. Now shoot a group with a 5% reduced charge of the same powder and see if you don't get some sort of stringing to some degree, I'll bet you do. Is this non-round group now somehow 'out of control'?

Only in the minds of a very few special people. In almost all cases of my experience, stringing is a repeatable & relatively quantifiable phenomenon with some loads & velocities. That's certainly not 'out of control' in my mind, when the phenomenon can be predicted and quantified.

I COULD begin talking about barrel whip cycles and the effect of velocity upon the resulting group distribution, but that's for another discussion. Suffice it to say that a non-round group does NOT prove that anything is 'out of control', period. For further elucidation I refer you to Precision Shooting & The Accurate Rifle magazines and the book Rifle Accuracy Facts by Harold Vaughn.

BTW when we start quoting 'experts', please remember the definition of Ex-Spurt. These guys put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else, and they disagree with each other VERY frequently.
Caveat Emptor, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Ah, another great weekend in the books only to return to this sort of junk.   

Joe, 
If you don't like it, don't go there.  It is as simple as that.  If you want to hang on to range rather than SDs as an estimate of SDs - great.  More power to ya.  But it won't fly anywhere in any science I'm familiar with.  It surely won't get you published in my field.  If you wish to bandy about references and qualification on traditional and universally accepted statistical techniques, I have on my shelf right now,...

Design and Analysis of Experiments by John Gill.  I spent an entire year in Gill's courses (3 volumes).   

Then there is another perennial favorite, Sokal and Rolf's Biometery - about 850 pages of quite basic traditional statistics, 

And, let's see, Conover's Practical Nonparameterics -another semester spent on dissecting that.  Nonparameterics could be a quick good fix to the lack of statistical rigor in shooting.  But then you would see that immediately.   

There were several course in multivariate statistics that I spent my time (and money) in.  No texts handy, but multivariate stats would be an interesting way to go for a lot of load development, but no way that I know to make it easy for the average shooter.  Oh wait, yes, Multivariate Statstical Methods by Manly.  And a couple devoted to the arcane field of community ecology that would have little utility here.   

Then, lest we dwell on just the applied stats, I spent a year working through Hogg and Craig's Introduction to Mathematical Statistics, deriving the theoretical underpinnings of stastitical methology and probability theory.  Worked under Larry Shear on this.  he is fairly intense and more than slightly competent by most standards (standards of statisticians, not rank amatures like me).

And last of the general theoretical stastictics books, Noel Cressie's Statistics for Spatial Data.  Noel was/is pretty much a spatial stats diety.  He makes Larry look like milk toast for breakfast.  I spent a semester with him and a dozen of his and other Stats PhD students learning how to work with spatially organized data.  Application of spatial stats to shooting would be an interesting idea since a group on a target is nothing less than a map of events in space and time, but point-process analyses, or some sort of cludged variogram/kriging technique might be a whole lot more work than it's worth.  It would be great, I think, for diagnosing an potentially busted scope however, and probably other things as well.

None of these, btw, rely on range or semi-interquartile range to do anything useful.   

So, there you have it.  My "library" as it were (and is) and my background.  For an ecologist, I'm probably in the middle of the pack with respect to using stats, but a good bit ahead of the pack with respect to statistical training.  I'm surely no professional statistician, but I play with them (professional statisticians every day Smiley 

So, I'll stick with that.  Something like 10 courses in statistical training and 25+ years of doing it is quite enough to get me down the road to better shooting analyses. 

End Part I   
Brent

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Part II,

As for the in/out of control thing, I still find that quite strange.  Clearly, environmental variation will intrude on any experiment.  Indeed, in a plugged tunnel, there will still be environmental intrusions on the process.  On top of that, there is, of course, measurement error.  Perhaps because "SQC" does not involve experimentation per se, you are unfamiliar with the process of experimental design, analysis for nonrandom extraneous factors, etc, etc.  Simple ANOVA's will deal with these sorts of issues quite handily and they have been around for a long long time, and are currently taught in most elementary statistics courses.  The first two texts above will cover them quite well, if you feel the need.  

So, where to go from here?  Joe, I think you are more or less like that 5% of students I deal with year in year out.  Don't know, don't want to learn.  I'm paid to deal with them anyway.  I'm not paid to deal with you.  If you want to keep beating on this horse.  Go ahead, but I'm moving on.  

So, I leave you with this closing quote from Sokal and Rolf discussing your beloved “range” and also the archaic “semi-interquartile range.”  

Since the range is a measure of the span of the variates along the scale of the variable, it is the same units as the original measurements.  The range is clearly affected by even a single outlining value and for this reason is only a rough estimate of the dispersion of all the items in the sample.  It is also affected by sample size.  The greater the sample, the wider the range of observations, on the average.  

Another measure of dispersion, now largely of historical interest, is the quartile deviation.  This statistic, also know as the semi-interquartile range, is computed as
QD= ½ (Q3-Q1) 
where Q3 and Q1 are the third and first quartiles of the distribution, respectively.  Although this statistic gives an adequate description of the dispersion in the central half of the distribution, it obviously does not take the tails of the distribution into consideration and thus it suffers from defects opposite to those of the range; that is, while the range is determined by outliners and ignores the distribution of times close to the meanQD is not affected by items lying beyond Q1 and Q3
.” {my bold and underlining}

Sokal and Rolf, at this point begin to define and use Standard Deviation for the remaining 800 pages of introductory experimental statistics, beginning, “A desirable measure of dispersion will take all items of a distribution into consideration, weighting each item by its distance from the center of the distribution.  We shall now try to construct such a statistic…

Standard Deviations, like scoring a target in competition, use all of the data.  It is not overly affected by just one bad shot, nor is it ignorant of them.   Thus, it becomes a good estimate of the repeatability of a process.   

Enough said on this topic of range vs SD.

Movin’ on…

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
  Good! I'm glad we're movin' on.

Three of us had a little fun with this... at Brent's expense this past weekend..... which is why he's probably a little owly today!  Smiley

Without boring you with the details todays shooting really pointed up the "out of control", or the more commonly called "flyer". Some of the groups were REALLY out of control and it was interesting, with our messages on this as witness, that the really bad shots would show up on the chronograph with big changes in MV's, and a final large SD/ES.

But.... All these would have been pretty obvious without the chronograph data.

I had one tho that would have had some thinking maybe there was something wrong with that bullet. The group was 2 1/8", with 4 in 15/16". Without the chronograph I would probably fire this a coupla more times to see if that " flyer" was just a fluke shot. But the chronograph showed that altho the MV averaged in that sweet spot of around 1405 fps, the SD was 33.9 and the ES was 90.3. Since I know with this gun I need to get the SD's below 10, I can pretty safely say this load isn't worth expending anymore time on.

To me it's cases like these that make Statistical Analysis a shortcut to finding the best load.

But, what's really needed is something that can take a series of tests, with nearly identical results, and compare them to see which is best, such as I mentioned where I was having trouble determining whether 1-25 or 1-30 was the best alloy to use. Something that doesn't take a rocket scientist to apply.

To me this is why I don't think SA is a practical option for most people to use. Taking the group above as an example, if I didn't have a chronograph it would have been a lot easier for me to just fire a coupla more groups to get the answer rather than to spend hours(?) using SA to come up with an answer, IF I even understood which part of SA to use in the first place. What we need is a better mousetrap!

PETE

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #44 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
One thing that keeps coming up now is on groups. Pete and I shoot together on a 100yd range. I'm trying to develop the best load in my 32/40. What is best for working up best loads, to use 5 or 10 shot groups. I know that one cannot go my just one group, but I am currently shooting 10 shot groups, and shooting several of each load. What is the advantage of 10 shot over 5 shot groups, or the other way around. I know that using the chrono with the 10 shot groups it is beneficial for the info from the chrono.  This is my first year in schuetzen, and Pete got me hooked good, so I'm full of questions on all aspects of this great shooting sport.
Pete has helped  me from trying to reinvent the wheel.
Bob

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #45 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
GWarden;

How about a "practical", non-scientific answer to your question? A good number of years ago (when the .222 ruled modern benchrest) I decided that, as a rifleman, I needed at least one REAL rifle to work with. A REAL rifle's definition was created for ME Wink. It turned out to be a heavy varmint class .222 with metalwork by Ferris Pindell and a benchrest fiberglass stock "glue-in" stocked by me.

The rifle was a success. It turned out to be a genuine one-quarter minute rifle (thank you, Ferris). I had no intention of limiting my shooting to benchrest. However, I had determined that to further my shooting education I needed a rifle that did not lie to me.

After some use, in working up loads I determined that three shot groups were useless. A single five shot group was useless. It took three consecutive five shot groups before I decided to either discard the load or it needed further testing. I learned that a single ten shot group was about three times as useful as a five shot group (as far as determining the quality of the load - what we would now call determining the "probabilities"). I also learned that it is derned difficult to maintain absolute concentration for ten straight shots. I suspect that is why modern benchrest shooting is done five shots at a time.

So, I have concluded that 3-5 five shot groups for load development. Then when I have my load, I have learned that I need to practice, during ALL conditions with ten shots on score targets if that is what I shoot at the matches (the ASSRA Schoyen match, for instance). Since it is so hard to shoot ten perfect shots, it is a MUST to practice with ten shots. 

I'll say it again, you must practice in BAD conditions if you want to win matches in the real world. Excellent conditons seldom happen at Etna Green, for instance, and shooting only when the conditions are good is NOT good enough to learn how to win...

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Bob,
You may be a rookie of sorts (guys, he ain't no rookie but he tries to milk that innocent image to the max Smiley), but you don't shoot like one.   

So, given that you are shooting down in the MOA range of accuracy, you need more shots per group, or more groups.  The tendency is to shoot more shots per group however, if you are going to use all of the information (ie, all the shots) in making decisions, then you need to see and measure every bullet hole.  10-shot groups will be difficult given that you have a habit of putting 10 of them into less than 10 holes - quite a lot less as I recall from some of those targets.   

If you tell me the amount of accuracy that you hope to gain in making an improvement, and the degree of confidence you want to have in making your decisions and the confidence you wish to have in not missing a real improvement (there is no such thing as 100% confidence in the real world), then I can calculate the sorts of numbers of shots you might want to use in making a comparison.

I cannot guarentee that you will be happy with the answer - but look above to get an idea of what sorts of samples might be needed.   

if you were something of a lousy shot, sorta like me, you might be able to get by with less if only because you would have so much ground to make up.  But once you start to close in on perfection, well, the effort required to make continued progress increases exponentially.   

Brent

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Dale, If you want to compare groups like that, you might think about using binomial testing - commonly called a sign test.

In such cases, you wish to compute the probably that you could get one load to be better than the other for every group, just by chance alone (i.e., assuming there is not a true difference in accuracy between the loads).   

To do this you want to shoot enough groups that you can be sure that when all of them favor one load in particular, that the chances of that happening by chance alone is small.   

This is EXACTLY the same as judging the fairness of a coin in coin toss.  If you tossed a penny three times and it came up heads each time, would you be confident that this coin was NOT fair (ie, that it was biased towards heads)?  The possibility of this happening is 1/2*1/2*1/2 = 1/8 or about 12.5% of the time when you fire three groups of each about 12.5 times out of one hundred such trials, you will get this result.   

Generally, I advocate at least 5 such comparisons.  This gives a probability of 1/32.  But you may have to choose what level of confidence you want.   

Now, if you shoot 5 such pairs of groups and one load wins out 4 out of 5 times what are the odds of that happening even if there is no difference in the accuracy of the loads?  It's a bit more difficult to compute, but some calculators can do it for you (like my ancient HP 15C) or I can give you the figures to compute this quickly in a spread sheet.   

This sort of calculation is exactly what I was thinking about when I suggested that nonparametrics may have a wide range of application to shooting.

Brent

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Brent;
Since you have more books than I do, you clearly win. I'm just thankful that I was able to introduce you to the use of the RANGE as an estimator of Standard Deviation-you looked, didn't you?
Enough, I give up. You da man!
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I won't address this to GWarden or Brent, or even Dale53 since they probably know what I think about GWardens question anyway. So this is for the rest of you.

What I do is to shoot a 5 shot group first. After all, if it shoots an 1 1/2" with 5 shots it's not gonna get any smaller with 10 shots. If a group looks promising then I will repeat it the next day, or, if the chronograph shows it might be promising I'll repeat it. After I have tested a 5 shot group load at least 5 times I'll then try for 10 shots to see if it holds up. But this only comes after I have several promising loads.

As Dale hints at, the more shots you put into a group the bigger the chance for error to creep in. 5 shots will at least tell you if a load has promise, and if not will allow you to move on to other bullets, loads, and powders. I hate casting, so the fewer I send down range the better I like it!

After you have selected what you feel is the best load then it's time to practice. Practice does not mean picking the best weather conditions. It means going out on any given day whether the weather is good or not. I do draw the line at getting rained on, but have shot many times when it was raining straight down and I'm under a roof. I've shot in fog, and rain, so heavy you could barely make out the target at 100 yds., and in wind so strong it was blowing things off the bench. I don't know how many times my chronograph has blown over, even with a facing brick attached to the tripod!

Dale mentions keeping your attention span over a period of ten shots can be difficult. So true if all you're doing is practice! What I do is to always have an experiment of some kind to work with. For me, this forces me to pay attention or else the experiment is wasted. If you don't have something that keeps you interested practice very quickly gets to be boring and you'll soon give it up.

PETE

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #50 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Brent
Rather than taking up space here, I will have you explain it to me over our burgers at noon the next time we shoot at Pine Ridge
Bob

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I've had trouble with variation in group size-sometimes I get small groups and sometimes I get big groups, with the same loads and under the same conditions. 
I did statistics to the problem, and got the solution. The topic, and title of the article, is: Detecting Accuracy Differences."
The answer is a table showing how many five or ten shot groups must be shot to be either 90% sure or 95% sure that there's a difference in two different loads-all varied by the percent of difference.
As I suspected, for small differences in group size a hell of a lot of groups must be shot to be reasonably sure that one load is REALLY more accurate than another.
I've got the article done and am working with The Fouling Shot folks to get it printed there. I will also offer it to the Journal Editor. 
I'm writing this to bring what I previously wrote on this topic to a close, and to offer to e-mail the article to any interested parties.
You won't like the answers, but that ain't my fault.
joe b.
joeb33050@yahoo.com

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Part of the problem I see with the number of groups needed to show a difference in accuracy is the conditions they all have to be shot in. If we shot them all in a vacuum then there might be some validity to it all. But considering the accuracy needed to shoot Schuetzen, lets say, we can never tell whether wind, mirage, temp, or other conditions are influencing the results.

One such condition I'm going to be playing with in the near future is how much does Pressure Density, and Denstiy Altitude in comparison to the actual altitude of the range you're shooting on affect the point of impact during the day. We know that it can affect accuracy as much as 7 MOA at 1000 yds., but what, if any, affect does it have at typical Schuetzen ranges? Is there a recordable difference, or will it be lost in the "soup" of other condtions we have to shoot under?

This is why I question the validity of of using Statistical Analysis. At any given time conditions might change and there is no way anyone can control their reactions to it, so aby data collected, in my opinion, would be useless. Like the old computer saying...... garbage in, garbage out!

With that said...... I'd appreciate it if you'd send me a copy of your article per your offer to do so.

PETE
10x@adiis.net

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #53 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Joe
I sure would like to get a copy of your paper.
Bob
rthsrdr@iowatelecom.net

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Pete,
The conditions are not prohibitive in and of themselves.  Proper statistical and experimental designs can remedy them and all that variation that they cause.  HOWEVER, it takes even more shooting to do so - and much more sophisticated stats.   

So, while you may think that statistical analysis is not helpful, the problem is - with what do you replace it?  I think it is worth acknowledging also, that every thing you do  in the way of testing loads is a statistical test- just not formalized nor very powerful.

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Brent,

Well, you ask a good question. I won't argue that with enuf of the "proper design" in the test it might yield results that can be counted on....... maybe! I don't doubt that SA can be very useful when the conditions of the test can be controlled enuf to get reliable data. I just don't believe this can be done under normal shooting conditions by the average shooter.

In my last post I mentioned some things that we have no control over that would skew any data results. The other side of the coin is shooter error, unless of course you do all your shooting from a machine rest. That combined with shooting in a vacuum would probably give you meaningful data. Since few of us have access to those two conditions any results you get would be very suspect. It would be like tossing a coin.... Every toss is a 50/50 chance that it will come up heads or tails. No amount of tossing will change those odds in favor of one or the other. The same goes for any group you shoot. No matter how many thousand you would shoot, the odds will be 50/50 that you will have a "good" group for analysis, or not. The question is...... How do you separate out those "good" groups from the "bad" ones?

So...... I would imagine that everyone "replaces" statistical analysis the way they have for hundreds of years when it comes to shooting. They go out on several decent days and shoot some groups to establish which combo works the best in their guns.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 5:54am
Print Post  
Pete has some objection that I can't understand. That's fine. I've sent the article to those who asked. This shows the number of groups that must be shot to detect various levels of accuracy difference with 90% and 95% confidence in the conclusion.  Pete's concern about condition variation causing group size variation leads to an increase in the number of groups that must be shot. The stats lead to the conclusion that pretty wide variation in group size under identical conditions is to be expected.
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Perhaps you don't understand my comments because I don't really know what I'm talking about. I am trying to understand, and the comments I make are probably thoughts that many have also, but which you don't connect with since you seem to believe that Statistical Analysis is the only true way to find out a most accurate load.

To me shooting a dozen, or whatever number you, or anyone else, seems to think needs to be fired in order to get a valid set of data in order to be certain load A is better than load B, just seems to be a waste of time in most cases.

Now I realise that Statistical Analysis is a very useful tool under the right conditions. I just don't believe that it can be usefully applied to shooting just due to the myriad of factors you have to deal with that can skew the results. Possibly you're right that if I fire enuf groups I will be able to statistically determine that one load is better than another.

But most anybody on here that has been shooting for a few years can tell within one group whether a load has possibilities. If they have several groups that look good, they can tell within three or four groups on several different days, which is the best and most consistent one. And..... If more than one load is equal to another most would pick the one that's easiest and cheapest to assemble.

To me there's just no sense blowing off a hundred dollars worth of components to prove statistically what you knew with the expenditure of a coupla dollars worth.

Bench rest shooters pretty well determine the best load for their guns with as few groups fired as possible since the maximum accuracy life of their barrels is measured in the hundreds of rounds. If they shot as many groups as a Statistical Engineer felt was needed to determine with 95% certainty they had the best load, they would never be able to really find out because their barrel would be shot out long before that 95% certainty factor was reached.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 5:40am
Print Post  
God and Statistics share the fact that they're there whether you believe in them or not. 
You can't detect small accuracy differences between loads/methods with small numbers of groups shot, neither can I nor anyone else. 
What bothers/ed me is the variation in groups that hindered the load-selection process. I'm currently working with a M54 Winchester in 30WCF with a heavy trigger pull. With AA#9, WLP primers, 311299 GC, NRA Alox on 10/27/04, four-five shot 100 yard groups, 12 grains averaged .963" and 12.5 grains averaged .913". On 11/2/04, 12.5 grains averaged .913" using some dented dropped bullets, and perfect ? bullets averaged 1.300". Now that's some variation!
Same conditions and load. 
I can quote others puzzling over this kind of variation, and I've seen it for forty years. EVERY match has at least one guy shaking his head at how poorly his gun shot, and another guy dancing around saying it never shot so well before.
If you don't see this kind of variation, you're unique.
Statistics has allowed me to understand the variation, and begin to figure out how to detect accuracy differences-the signal; amongst the normal variation-the noise.
If you think you can detect true small differences in 4-5 groups with each load, you have the right to that opinion. It just ain't true.
joe b.   

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
  Now Joe.... You're confusing what I'm saying. I didn't say Statistical Analysis wasn't useful. Far from it. I'm only saying that I'm not positive it's "reasonably" useful for shooting.

I've read your purposed article and find it very interesting and hope both the CBA and ASSRA see fit to publish it. It does point up a few of the arguments I've tried to present here. In your articles first example where the average group size difference is 1/4" or 20% difference, you say that a total of 9 groups must be shot in order to attain 95% surety that one load is better than another. This seems reasonable, but experience would tell me in a far shorter time than that which was best for that big a difference. Next you say that if the difference is 10% then 38 groups would have to be shot to achieve 95% certainty. Again. Probably not to  bad. Then you go down to 1% difference in groups where you mention 4050 five shot groups are needed in order to be 95% certain one load is best. Now as you mention this is bordering on the ridiculous and no one would try to achieve it.

The premise for my whole argument is where do you draw the line between what can reasonably be achieved and what becomes impossible to test for?

I feel that God gave me a brain to differentiate between what is reasonable, as far as accuracy is concerned, and what is ridiculous in trying to seperate out. If several groups sizes for two different loads are within 1% of each other then a myriad other factors are present that will cloud any difference and would probably cause a greater disparity than 1% anyway.

What I would like to hear is what is a REASONABLE number of groups that I need to shoot in order to be REASONABLY certain I have the best load.

Your mention of one guy at a match dancing around because his scores/groups are great, and another is down in the dumps because his are terrible, is exactly what I'm trying to see if Pressure (PA) & Density (DA) Altitude has a bearing on. These good and bad scores/groups are not due to a bad load, because the very next day the emotions of these two shooters might be exactly opposite...... and I've seen that happen. I'll even go so far as to say I've seen it happen before and after lunch, and between early in the morning and late in the afternoon!!

If you have ever kept an eye on PA & DA you will have seen that it changes from minute to minute, and the changes can be rather astonishing at times. How much of a change is needed in order to affect score/group size at Schuetzen ranges I don't know, but is one of the things I want to find out in the near future. I know it affects sight elevations, but I also want to see if these conditions have a bearing on group size. I think they do, because some experimentation done by Ed Stutz many years ago show that a change in temp. and humidity can mean you need to change your load to compensate in order to maintain the same accuracy. PA & DA are just a refined version of the testing Ed did.

PETE

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Pete, your pursuit of PA & DA differences is most interesting. You may be onto something there.

A factor you may want to consider is the presence of what Aerial Applicators (cropdusters) call 'dead spots'. These are small isolated areas where the Ground Effect is nullified by the extremely low air pressure immediately next to the ground. The reason for this phenomenon is unknown to me but the effect is VERY noticable when flying along only 6-10 feet above the ground with crop vegetation reaching up 2-6 feet. The sudden decrease in under-wing air pressure has killed many by causing an immediate 6-foot drop in altitude & then the vegetation snaring the wheels. This, along with power lines/guy wires and engine failures, has caused the majority of duster crashes in this area.

This may be a factor only when vegetation is present, or only in the extremely hot weather here in the South & Midwest, several dusters have expressed this opinion, but who knows? I only know that in hot weather areas of unexpectedly low pressure immediately next to the ground ARE a fact, and that they can be very small in size relatively speaking (~10' to ~50' dia). So it might be worthwhile to place your measuring instruments at several points along the bullet's path just to check their differences if any.

Just goes to show how many variables MAY be out there, some that we might never suspect in a hundred lifetimes.

Another observation re the range: neither of THE two MOST influential real-world testing entities in the US (Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the American Society for Testing & Materials) has much to say about the range as a variability indicator. They both concentrate on the SD and Coefficient of Variation as testing criteria.

To me this nullifies any argument between textbooks or 'experts' since you can always find some textbook or some expert somewhere that will espouse the most ridiculous theories imaginable. Remember 'New Math' & 'Whole Language', two of the most tragic boondoggles ever conceived? Some schools are actually still teaching these two theories long after they've been proven to be nothing more than some so-called expert's ill-conceived and untested pipe dream.

But SD & C of V are respected and established criteria used in a real-life situation to protect real people's lives every day. I've personally seen several nuclear workers put in jail for not following these established testing protocols, that's how serious the NRC & ASTM consider the subject. That's good enough for me. But of course YMMV and anyone is free to use the range if they like in this non-dangerous situation of testing group sizes.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Joe,

I guess you could say I'm fully aware of what the nuclear regulatory agency wants as I spent quite a few years as a nuclear welder and having to qualify yearly under Section 8 & 9 of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, using positions 1G thru 7G.

But you're right on about flight calculations being a part of Pressure (PA) & Density(DA) Altitude. A pilot who shoots quite a bit of LR is where I got the idea. He uses this method for sight setting changes. I'm not sure whether this method will work at Schuetzen distances since changes will be quite small compared to 1000 yds., and might be lost in wind and mirage and other factors. 

But I want to take it a step further. As you know bench shooters will often change their powder charges between relays because they felt their groups weren't going like they should. In all the years I've read about these shooters I've never heard mention of "how" they knew which way to go. Is this by chance, long experience, or have they some "formula" that tells them which way to go?

I'm figuring that since changes in group size are due to changes other than MV/SD/ES if you haven't changed anything in your load, then, if a load starts to go "bad" during a match it must be due to some exterior influence.

As we know humid air is less dense than dry air, so as the humidity level changes from the early morning hours to late afternoon, might not this difference make a difference in the bullets flight? If this is so then we would have to change our load slightly to get back on track.

To take an example..... Where I live is 970 ft. Above Sea Level. Doing the calculations I've seen PA go as low as 805 ft. to 1008 ft. in the course of half a day. Doing the calculations for DA I've seen that run from 1000 ft. to 3010 ft. within the same time frame. Of course since temp. (C.) is a part of figuring DA that has to be taken into consideration.

So, a lot going on when we shoot and it all has a negative effect on our shooting unless we can learn to deal with it.

As for SD being a respected way of testing things..... I'll certainly agree with that. I'm just not sure that considering the variables we shoot under, that it can be used to generate 95% certainty for a load. As Joe pointed out, if the average group size for two loads is within 1%, not an unreasonable expectation when determining differences in two loads, you would have to fire over 4000 five shot groups in order to reach the excepted 95% accuracy level to be sure you have the right load. Even for a difference of 10%, firing 38 groups is bordering on undoable.

So far no one who supports Statistical Analysis (SA) has said what is a reasonable number of groups to fire. That's all I ask! If a number can be brought forth that is reasonable, then I can use SA as a method to predict load confidence. Otherwise I don't believe it's totally applicable to shooting unless you want to spend that kind of time and money to prove things out, and I will continue to do it the "old fashioned" way.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 6:19am
Print Post  
I don't know what PA and DA are. Atmospheric pressure varies with weather (slightly) and altitude (greatly) and temperature, and in some sense is a measure of how many air atoms your bullet hits on the way to the target. Water vapor/humidity is included, so add water molecules hit. Then dust and pollution and ??? But pressure = pressure, no?
A 1% difference in group size is from (ex)1" to .990", at the border of measuring ability. A 10% difference is from .750" to .675", still very small. Put some numbers down, calculate the difference, look at the table, and you'll see that the number of groups to be shot isn't way out of line. 
The table shows the number of groups required for a given level of confidence at a given level of difference in group size. These are the "reasonable" numbers. Numbers of groups selected using experience or common sense are "unreasonable". "Common sense is that body of prejudice acquired by the age of eighteen." Al Einstein
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Sorry to read you think I'm prejudiced against SD and SA, and have your mind set that anything I have to say is not valid. Einstein was right!  Smiley  Guess we better drop the whole idea.

I guess if you don't know what PA and DA is then you have some more to learn. That's the part I like about shooting. There are so many things I don't know, and so many avenues to explore. Short of giving a lesson on how to calculate both these conditions, what I wrote in my last message gives a general idea of what they are and a little on how they are, and possibly could be, used in shooting.

Besides it should be put into another thread if there was any interest!

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 1:42pm
Print Post  

Joe,

I'm the fellow Pete mentioned in regard to the DA question.

The low-level crop duster fellows are probably encountering pockets of low density air. Bubbles, as it were, of extra warming in the field they're flying. It wouldn't take all that much of a temperature difference to reduce lift momentarily and drop the airplane several feet as you mention. At such low heights, things get critical in a hurry.

I can tell you "sky stories" elsewhere. Here, we'll keep it close to shooting talk.

Pete and I cussed and discussed the Pressure and Density altitude considerations at length via email and Pete, surprizing me, went out and bought the necessary simple computers (mechanical) needed to calculate these things.

As he says, at relativly short ranges the differences may not be clearly visable against the background of other variables but he intends to find out. I am very interested in seeing his results!

I got into figuring for DA as temperatures changed over the course of a day's shooting on the Montana prairie. We would carefully shoot and record sight elevations in the morning for the different distances used in the Match but as the day got hotter and hotter these numbers became less and less helpful! 

I realized what had to be going on and since that time I have always included a thermometer and a simple computer as a part of my shooting kit. 

As I shoot in load development for a given rifle and load I record what the DA is for setting sight elevation for that combination on my sight-setting card and keep it with the rifle all the time. Over time I obtain settings for differing density altitudes, ranging over the various temperatures and elevations we shoot in here in Wyoming.

I have never fired a shot in DA any lower than about 2000 feet since when it gets that cold out here my trigger finger no longer works very well.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Forrest,

Glad you chimed in on this, as I'm sure I might not have gotten things exactly right in this PA, DA thing. "Cuss and discuss" is right!  Smiley Lots of cussing on my part before I got it thru my thick head what had to be done. PA almost had me giving up!

Just sitting here reading your message and note that you said you've never shot below a DA of 2000 ft. For the record Forrest lives at 4000 ft. It got me wondering, so I figured out my PA & DA right now. PA is 324 ft. and DA 1328 ft.

But then a thought hit me. That's using an inside temp. of 72 deg.'s F. and the outside temp is 35 deg.'s. So figured that out and it comes to a PA of 314 ft., and a DA of 1140. When you know that my actual altitude is 970 ft. you can see how the changes are, and how they can affect POI, and possibly group size because of the different air resistance.

For those not up to speed on this you can see the changes in DA and that's what Forrest uses, as it changes, for changing his sight settings.

You might wonder why we have PA in there. The calculation for DA is determined by the PA and the current temp. in deg.'s C. PA is figured by adding or subtracting a set amount from the actual barometric pressure using the "Standard" of 29.92 inches of mercury as your base. This figure is then used on the "computer" to figure the DA.

Sounds kind of complicated, and I'm probably not explaining it exactly right, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. OR..... You can buy a Kestrel 4000 and it does the figuring of both for you!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Why do any ciphering, buy an electronic Altimeter.  It shows you the changes in the DA as they happen. If you get one that includes a barometer and hygrometer, and wind meter you got the whole ball of wax.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Keith,

That's why I suggested buying the Kestrel 4000. It's advertised in Precision Shooting. It'll do everything you mentioned and a whole lot more. But, you'll have to calibrate it for a known barometer setting and the altitude of your current location, in the right order. Not for the faint of heart either as the instructions aren't any to clear in that area.

Another very big BUT. The Kestel costs about $325 and a flight computer costs $12. If you can afford the former, go for it. If not, a person can do a lot of calculating for $300.

It sounds complicated because I'm not a very good teacher. But once you grasp the idea it just takes a minute or so to come up with DA. Less when you get the hang of it, as when I do it things seem to be backwards of what they should be so it takes a little time to be sure I've got it right.

Grasping PA was what got to me and only because I was assuming things that weren't true so my calculation for that was skewed. One of the problems of trying to get an idea across over a period of several days emailing. As you can see by what we've got here now, and we haven't even got into doing any "work"!  Smiley

Once you have PA then you just plug that and deg. C. into the computer and DA is the result. The only other known you need is the altitude of the range you're shooting at. Those can be gotten frorn USGS topo maps that are free for the downloading off the web.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 8:14am
Print Post  

The interest in figuring for Density Altitude here is a satisfaction to me. 

Somehow, although I know that changes in elevation and temperture affect the flight of (anything) through the air the fellows who I shoot with the most here In Wyoming pay little attention to it.

I hope that there may be some more scientific consideration given to the whys and wherefores of the bullet's flight here on ASSRA.

I will be looking in and available for comment on this subject as days pass.

For now, it is time to go shooting.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Looks like there is some interest considering the number of views. But like most other threads on here, everybody wants to "suck" the info up without contributing to it by offering info or asking questions. Seems to be a real lack of curiosity on here.

That's why I've been purposely vague on how to do the figuring, and what you do it with. Us two know what we're talking about yet we're the only ones participating. Not much sense going over what we've hashed out in private email if there's not enuf interest for people to ask.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Pete,

I'm back from shooting.

Something kept bothering me about your post I responded to this morning so I looked at it again.

Your DA number is good for the indoor temperature but for the outside temperature of 35 degrees F or just about zero C I get a DA of - 1200 feet or so. (That is 1200 feet below sea level) The outside air at your location, barometric pressure and temperature is pretty thick stuff! Thicker in fact than a "Standard Day" of 59 degrees and 29.92 " at sealevel.

Since you're pretty close to sealevel and the temperature is well below 59 degrees look for DAs of lower than sealevel itself!

In Alaska I've seen DA go as far as 3 - 4000  feet Below sealevel on cold winter days north of the Brooks Range.

Roger the thread's responce about our subject. 

It is hard to do anything "new" in the shooting game as we have seen, posting about the old-timers shooting Creedmoor rifles with brometers, thermometers and so forth to figure condition. Now-a-days such things are unknown, indeed to the extent and degree that folks probably tend to discount the value of any such detailed concern about shooting in "condition" at long range.

In my game, if I can nail that first hit in the relay I am sooo far ahead of the game compared to shooting a first shot miss that it is hard to describe! Condition is everything!

Good evening,
Forrest

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #71 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Pete has been explaining it to me, and it is another thing that can possibly help with our shooting. After he explained it to me, I remember one Sat. last summer we were shooting in our league, took a lunch break. When I shot my next relay I though someone had messed with my scope, as it was shooting higher than before lunch. I know that Brent didn't mess with the scope as he was with Pete and I. This DA really sounds like it can help if one wants to get with the program and keep a record of conditions. We're not all just sitting back. If Pete doesn't share his Kestrel, probably have to dig up the jar in the back yard and gete some money out to buy one( always need another toy)
Bob

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Way back when I first started flying I was told by an FAA guy that the DA at one particular local crash scene (Mississippi) was 3500 ft at the time of the crash. Now when you consider that our local airport elevation is +106 ft MSL (above mean sea level) and the crash scene is even lower, that's QUITE a difference! Of course we shouldn't see a 4000 ft difference in DA in one day but I bet we could see half of that or more under some conditions.

However, my concept of DA is rudimentary & I'd appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable could comment about how much difference we could expect. Sure would be nice if we could come up with some kinda formula for elevation corrections. Even a SWAG would get us started in the right direction.
ttfn, Joe

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Bob,

Bob: If Pete doesn't share his Kestrel, probably have to dig up the jar in the back yard and gete some money out to buy one( always need another toy)

F:  Pete doesn't have a Kestrel I don't believe. He went out and bought a E6B at his local airport. Cost: $12

This is a simple mechanical computer, no batteries, two moving parts and some numbers around the dial.

This, a thermometer, one calculation and a spin of the wheel and you've the DA displayed under the little arrow. 

It will save you from the high/low miss if the temperature changes over the course of your lunch period or any other delay.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #74 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Joe,

Joe says: However, my concept of DA is rudimentary & I'd appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable could comment about how much difference we could expect. Sure would be nice if we could come up with some kinda formula for elevation corrections. Even a SWAG would get us started in the right direction.

F:  I have been recording sight elevations for differing density altitudes for some years now.

I'm a simple kind of shooter in that I find a good load and then shoot it with no changes for long periods of time. This allows me to use the recorded elevation numbers for that load where ever I go shooting since regardless of where a fellow goes he may run the numbers for DA at that location and rely on the fact that his elevations will repeat!

I am not enough of a numbers man to figure out the formula to preset elevation by use of a calulator. 

What I try to do is shoot the rifle over the whole course of fire we have here in Wyoming, (Our distances run from 395 yards out to 1000) all on the same day and hopefully on a so-called "Standard" day as a base line for that rifle and load.

A "Standard Day" here at 4000 feet MSL is 41 degrees F at 29.92" (Corrected for elevation).

Thus you see why I don't do much shooting at DAs of 2000 feet: It is much too cold for lube and other variables to maintain consistency when things cool off below 30 degrees F. Things like my trigger finger for example!

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #75 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Gentelmen,

The question continues as per how much change in elevation may be expected as DA changes.

I have not done any shooting at the relativly close ranges such as I know are the norm for easterners. Like I said above, the shortest distance I shoot over is 395 yards.

Anyway, the elevation differences are unmistakeable, running to 5 or even 6 minutes during the course of normal daily temerature changes.

When we are all shooting on our hill-top range, starting in the cool of the morning, it is possible to identify the increasing DA as the day heats up and it becomes necessary for everyone to lower their sights to stay on the steel.

Keep in mind that I do not know how the differeing DA will show up at the typical 200 yard Scheutzen match! Sure it'll be there but how much I can not say.

Pete himself is on that particular road and he'll let us know I'm sure.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Hmmmm! Seems I'll have to quit raking leaves and keep up with this DA thread more often.  Smiley I'll try and answer everyones questions that I can.

Forrest,

Well, yes I do have a Kestrel. Got that a few days back. we've been on other topics and forgot to mention it to you.

As I mentioned in a past message the instructions are not all that clear on some points. Changing the altitude after setting the current barometer setting causes the barometer setting to change. So set the altitude first and then the barometer, and I HOPE I got it right. The altitude is something you set wherever you want to start recording from.

This might be where the discrepancy you noted came in. When I saw it I wasn't satisifed with the reading either because the temp. on the Kestrel didn't match what my out door thermometer read (very accurate). So just went with the reading on the Kestrel as I figured it knew what it was doing with any condition it was recording internally.

One thing I'd like to go over with you again, which I'm sure some have thought about. That is where does humidity come into the formula. You think it isn't needed, as temp. will bring the widest swings in DA. I'll take your word for it, as you've had more experience with this idea. But, considering the considerable amount of humidity changes in the Midwest and South during the Summer, I'm not to sure about this. You live, and shoots, in country with low humidity, where I think if it gets about 50% it's considered very humid, whereas in my part of the country 50% would be considered a "dry" day. I routinely see changes of 40% difference in the course of a days shooting. What's your thinking on this?

Joe,

What I think I should do to answer your question on how much DA variation we can expect in a day, is to just keep track of it for a day and see. It's something that I've been wondering about to. I'll use the Kestrel, and record the temp., barometric reading, PA, & DA. That way there's enuf info for both Forrest and I to calculate it out the "hard" way with the E6-B. I'm also curious as to how much variation there is between the Kestrel and the E6-B. One of the things I've commented on to Forrest was the seeming "rough" calculations you get with the E6-B. The numbering is so close together and pretty general in how accurately you can set it, that I got to wondering if it was going to be accurate enuf for the short ranges we shoot at. Thus the reason for buying the Kestrel.

As for a mathematical formula for figuring out DA.... I'm sure there is one since I would assume that the E6-B had to be set up according to one. But the PA has to be figured out manually, so that would require two formula. But I think it would be more complicated than all but the most avid math weenie would enjoy. Considering the lack of being able to do really fine settings with the E6-B, this is a pretty "rough" WAG as it is.

Bob,

Well, you know I have to pay for this instrument somehow. maybe a slight charge for every time you look at it would be appropriate.  Grin How does $20 a eyeball sound to you?

Actually it'll be setting on the shooting bench at the matches, or any time we shoot together, so you can look at it any time you want. If it pans out, by matching up with the E6-B, I might just loan you that to play with so you can keep track of things at your own pace.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
  Well, yes I do have a Kestrel. Got that a few days back. we've been on other topics and forgot to mention it to you.

Pete,

Whoe! That is real commitment!

P:  This might be where the discrepancy you noted came in. When I saw it I wasn't satisifed with the reading either because the temp. on the Kestrel didn't match what my out door thermometer read (very accurate). So just went with the reading on the Kestrel as I figured it knew what it was doing with any condition it was recording internally.

F: I wonder if the machine tells you clearly if the DA reading is above or below sealevel. That is a plus value or minus indication. I noted that the number was pretty close, it just didn't say if it was above or below SL.

P:  One thing I'd like to go over with you again, which I'm sure some have thought about. That is where does humidity come into the formula. You think it isn't needed, as temp. will bring the widest swings in DA. I'll take your word for it, as you've had more experience with this idea. But, considering the considerable amount of humidity changes in the Midwest and South during the Summer, I'm not to sure about this. You live, and shoots, in country with low humidity, where I think if it gets about 50% it's considered very humid, whereas in my part of the country 50% would be considered a "dry" day. I routinely see changes of 40% difference in the course of a days shooting. What's your thinking on this?

F: Well, I've never figured it in. The performance charts in the flight manuals I use do not address it, not that it does not have an affect! There must be something to it as you say.

All I can say is that I'll look into it more closely.

Good evenng,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #78 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Forrest, & others interested,

Here's what I came up with today using both the Kestrel and E6-B Flight Computer. Remember my altitude is 970 ft. above sea level.

9 AM  Bar. 30.25  54 deg. F.  90% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 672  DA - 785
E6-B     PA - 670  DA - 590

11 AM  Bar. 30.20  56 deg. F.  87% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 672  DA - 785
E6-B     PA - 670  DA - 810

11:30 AM  Bar. 30.22  57 deg. F.  82% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 683  DA - 919
E6-B     PA - 670  DA - 820

2 PM  Bar. 30.14  64 deg. F.  82% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 751  DA - 1455
E6-B     PA - 770  DA - 1020

4 PM  Bar. 30.14  63 deg. F.  70% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 751  DA - 1377
E6-B     PA - 750  DA - 980

5 PM  Bar. 30.13  61 deg. F.  75% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 765  DA - 1243
E6-B     PA - 760  DA - 975

The interesting thing is that the PA for both the Kestrel and E6-B are reasonably close. I can't explain why the discrepancies in the DA tho unless it was my not being able to exactly enter PA & temp. C. in the E6-B.

Forrest,

No the Kestrel doesn't tell you whether you are above or below sea level. At least I don't think so. Maybe when it does go below sea level it will indicate the reading with a "-" sign.

What I'd really like to know is what conditions does the Kestrel use to figure DA. It's obvious that it calculates PA by the same method we use manually, but it is also obvious that it's using something different for DA. Some of the problem of course would be the lack of being able to exactly enter figures considering the closeness of the numbers etc. Also should probably use a mathematical conversion for F. to C., as I was just getting as close as I could with the graph provided, which left a little to be desired.

But with all that said, I think if you use the same procedure you'll still get acceptable results. Altho DA is not an arbitrary figure if you use the same method to achieve it, then it can be used to advantage. Your results at 1000 yds. bears this out.

Your thoughts?

PETE

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 9:55am
Print Post  
AHHH....Statistics....the art of intelectual Mystical exercises in futility!! They will tell you what has, was, or did, but they cannot tell you what will. They might tell what could, or may or might.

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 10:43am
Print Post  
OOPS wrong button....to continue....

Much has been said here and I would like to put in my two pennies.

SD's are confusing and are not reliable to determine accuarcy, they will help with consistency. My main venue is ML Slug Bench Guns. I started in the game with instructions on how to load by pushing the bullet gently down to just kiss the powder. Not good, large groups, large SD's. Began to load and shoot over the chrohograph and found that as I increased the pressure on the powder my SD's came down to a remarkable 5 on average and are still there. Result being that I began to get some consistency. This new found low SD works for all of my powder charges even the big bad groups, allowing me to identify other problems.

Sample size- When I worked at GM they sent me to school to learn Statistical Process Control where I learned it only takes 5 samples to establish the wonderful "Bell Curve" which can tell you anything about anything, such as our wonderful polls.
They preferred a sample of 25. I hear of increasing 5 shot groups samples from 20 to 4000+ in order to find that "Accurate Load"...Great....but now you have a shot out barrel. A load aquired through statistical analysis will not stand up to the variables we have to deal with, unless you shoot in all conditions. The best load is not one load it is really a range of powder charges that fit the changing conditions. As a ML'er I change my powder as the conditions demand, a 15% change in humidity requires a change 10 degree change in temp, a barometric pressure change, all require attention to powder load.  Statistical charts, I don't think will be reliable. These solutions require a data bank acquired through experience. This experience I am working on for ASSRA shooting which I have recently have taken up.

Statistical charts or mathematical formulas are not going to be a shortcut to the 'top of the heap' only experience.

That said! Statistics and math can help you understand what is happening and what you have to learn. I can't teach you wind reading but I can point out things that are happening and what to look for and sometimes why. But you still have to do it and build your own database. If you want to learn to shoot in a 15mph wind cause that is what you have to shoot in at EG than you better get out and practice in a 15mph wind. And you can't do what I am doing with my .45 cal 540 grain slug with your .32 cal 185 grain slug. That's why you need to acquire your own database.

Remember the proof is the group in any given situation, not the statistics.

PA & DA sounds like another tool, that will not be of use to everyone in all situations. I for one like to learn these things, and yes I do 'play' repeat 'play' with statistics. This is another idea that requires establishing a database. I am not clear on this idea and I hope the thread continues. I have to learn more to ask questions, so keep it coming.

Just my opinion!........Ed

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Ed,

Well said!

Probably the hardest thing I have to do is explain to people why the chronograph is not the " be all, end all" of working up a load. It is just one of the tools you need to become good at shooting.

Once you work up that final load then, as you put it, you need to work up a memory data base for that particular gun and load. Personally I feel I'm weak on wind and mirage, and plan to spend all the next years Schuetzen matches shooting nothing but the .22. That experience, I hope, will make me a better "big" bore shooter. Can't hurt!  Smiley

What I am hoping is that using Density Altitude will be another tool in being able to shoot better. We know it works at the longer ranges, but even if it doesn't work at the shorter ones we will at least have a better understanding that there are other conditions besides wind and mirage that affect the bullets flight.

Right now I'm trying to work over in my mind whether we will have to use humidity, altho how we can run that into the E6-B I don't know. Forrest doesn't think so, but I'm not sure. There has to be a reason why, in the test I ran, that the Pressure Altitude between the Kestrel and E6-B were reasonably close, yet the Density Altitude had such a wide spread, except for the 11 & 11:30 readings whiuch weren't to far apart.

The only two possibilities I can think of are I'm not as good with the E6-B as I would like to imagine, or else the Kestrel is using other inputs in addition to PA and temp. Humidity???

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
PETE,

Pete has provided data (below) comparing E6-B and his Kestrel.

I got out my E6-B and ran his numbers with the following results:

9 AM  Bar. 30.25  54 deg. F.  90% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 672  DA - 785
E6-B     PA - 670  DA - 590

Here, I get just about right at Sealevel DA on my E6-B which makes sense since 59 degrees is a "Standard Day" at SL and 54 degrees at PA of 670 feet is very close to that. Any difference is pocket change.

11 AM  Bar. 30.20  56 deg. F.  87% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 672  DA - 785
E6-B     PA - 670  DA - 810

Again, here the data is very close to a standard day at SL. The +810 feet DA (Or the +785 either) seems high to me since it would have to warmer than data indicates to have a DA as high as 1000 feet above SL.

11:30 AM  Bar. 30.22  57 deg. F.  82% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 683  DA - 919
E6-B     PA - 670  DA - 820

Here, and for the remaining points of data on Pete's post I get essentially the same DA as he got for the E6-B.

2 PM  Bar. 30.14  64 deg. F.  82% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 751  DA - 1455
E6-B     PA - 770  DA - 1020

4 PM  Bar. 30.14  63 deg. F.  70% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 751  DA - 1377
E6-B     PA - 750  DA - 980

5 PM  Bar. 30.13  61 deg. F.  75% Hum.

Kestrel  PA - 765  DA - 1243
E6-B     PA - 760  DA - 975

Keep in mind that the E6-B is rather crude in its presentation of data. The marks in the DA window are small, close together and difficult to read with precision.

I take this to mean (so far as avaition uses are concerned) that differences in DA, although important, are not subject to such need as far as aircraft preformance is concerned that a pilot must calculate for the nearest 100 foot difference: The nearest 1000 foot difference is good enough for the performance information required for such uses.  As a relativly high-time pilot myself I find this to certainly be the case so far as I'm concerned.

In the shooting I do over long range I keep data for DA for each rifle I shoot, recording sight elevations for actual Density Altitude on the rifle range at the time. This data is kept with the rifle for regular use as conditions change.

As I have been doing this for some years now I find the sight elevations do repeat for a given DA. Data are kept for 500 foot increments in DA which I find more than close enough to use as a practical thing on the firing line.

Good evening,
Forrest

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #83 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
  Once you work up that final load then, as you put it, you need to work up a memory data base for that particular gun and load. Personally I feel I'm weak on wind and mirage, and plan to spend all the next years Schuetzen matches shooting nothing but the .22. That experience, I hope, will make me a better "big" bore shooter. Can't hurt!  Smiley

PETE,

Your mention of the 22RF is interesting to me as per the discussion about Density Altitude. 

Since the 22RF is bound to be more sensitive to any changes in the air, let it be wind, temperature and/or your interest in humidity (plus being cheap) perhaps we can show data using it over the close ranges you have available back there.

What do you think?

Good evening,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

Your calculation results are interesting and I'm glad for the most part they agree with mine. Possibly the difference you noticed on the 11 AM reading might be because I handled the Kestrel while getting the readings. I had it sitting out in the garage, in the shade. Since the day was dark and misting I usually had to move it to see the display. I've found that you have to be very careful in how you handle it. Even if you grab it as far away from the temp. probe as you can, you can watch the temp. change over a short time. Best to look but don't touch.  Smiley I forget now but the Kestrel displays out to at least one decimal point on all readings, and I was rounding things to the nearest whole number, which might have added a little of the differences.

On your observations regarding the .22.

I hadn't thought about using the .22 for testing DA, but now that you mention it, I think you're right. We have one 200 yd. match for the .22, and Lee Shaver has calculated that for his .22 Shilouette game that the drops, and wind deflection over the 200 meter course equals almost exactly the flight characteristics of the .40/65 at the standard BPCRS distances.

So, I'll be able to see if there are any effects at both our standard 100 yd. matches and the 200 yd. one.

I hope no one is in any hurry for the results tho since we're pretty well done with the outdoor shooting around here, altho I might get around to going up to the enclosed firing points a few times during the Winter. We'll see!

PETE

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Forest and Pete,

Can't figure out how to quote from a message, oh well.

Forest looking at your chart showing Kestrel and E-6b values for PA and DA, baro pressure, temp and humidity I can see no correlation what so ever. As I understand somehow Pa is calculated from baro, and temp then you get DA from ..what?

What am I looking at with your chart, what is it telling me?

Ed  Embarrassed

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #86 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Ed,

I threw in a bunch of extra figures more for Forrests benefit, so he could do independent calculations, rather than being necessary info for what I was trying to get across to everybdy else.

To explain further...... You will have to calculate Pressure Altitude (PA) before you can enter that into the E6-B Flight Computer.

Figuring PA is easy. What you need is to know the altitude of your location and the barometric pressure. Then adding or subtracting from your altitude will be determined by whether your barometric pressure is higher or lower than the "standard" of 29.92. Think of 29.92 as being like the constant used in the Greenhill formula.

Example...... Lets say your altitude is 1000 ft. above sea level (ASL), and your current barometric pressure is 30.22. Subtracting 29.92 from 30.22 we get .3. Now in this case your current barometric pressure is higher than the "Standard" so you will subtract 100 ft. for every .1, which in this case would be 300 ft. So your current PA will be 700 ft. ASL. If your current barometric pressure is lower than the "Standard" then you add 100 ft. for every .1 difference.

In order to figure out what the Density Altitude (DA) is you will need the E6-B Flight Computer. It has provisions for entering the PA and your current temp. in degrees Centigrade. A Fahenheit to Centegrade conversion chart is located on the E6-B. After you do this then an arrow will point to the DA.

Once you get used to doing the necessary calculations it's a lot faster to do than to read.

DA is what you will be putting into your log book, along with the sight settings, and keeping track of over time, and then will refer to it for sight changes if they are warranted.

Forrest feels that for the shooting he does he doesn't need to correct for changes less than 500 ft. Part of what I need to find out is if this is "fine" enuf for Schuetzen ranges, or do we need to go to some lesser amount like 100 ft., or smaller. Only a lot of shooting next Summer will tell.

So you can see from this I didn't need to put in the info I gave in the test message other than the DA. But as I said, that was for Forrest's information so he could check what I was getting with the Kestrel and E6-B against what he got using his E6-B. Altho I think I'm familiar enuf with the E6-B to know I'm figuring PA & DA right with it, the difference in data between it and the Kestrel had me worried I might be doing something wrong somewhere.

The problem, if you want to call it that, with the Kestrel is you can set it on the table and watch the DA change 10 or 15 ft. in less than a minute. It's constantly changing!

PETE

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #87 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Pete, 

I think I understand, you will calculate the DA for every target shot and enter the sight settings, so that after a decent amount of data THEN you will be able to calculate sight changes based on the collected data.

At this point do you know which direction to change per data,
if DA goes up will the sights have to come down or up?

Did you say Forest has used this method? if so then he can probably answer my question.

Btw Brent is suspiciously quiet re my statistics comments  Grin

Ed

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #88 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 11:38am
Print Post  
I think I understand, you will calculate the DA for every target shot and enter the sight settings, so that after a decent amount of data THEN you will be able to calculate sight changes based on the collected data.

Ed,

Not exactly.

The way I do it is to go shooting one day at a given and semi-carefully chosen DA, say here in Sheridan at 41 degrees F which is the Standard Day at 4000 feet.

I'll go out and shoot all ten targets we have, ranging from 395 out to 834 yards and record the elevations at that DA.

Then, as the season changes I'll naturally have opportunity to shoot the same course of fire at 4500 DA and 5000 and so forth. I record these settings on my sight card that is kept with the rifle. If a fellow were so-minded I know these numbers would allow him to  calculate some useful way to predetermine sight setting elevations. For me, the simple shooter, the actual numbers acquired in actual shooting are most valuable of all.

With these settings written down I then may depart Sheridan for some other location. Once there I compute the DA at the time I'm due to step up to the firing line and use the sight elevations I have available on the card. The DA of course does not make a difference say between Sheridan or Forsyth or Bozeman: Downrange performance will be very, very close to that specified on the DA elevation card and one may interpolate between numbers if the DA falls somewhere in between the recorded data on the card.

Ed: At this point do you know which direction to change per data, if DA goes up will the sights have to come down or up?

F:  As Density Altitude increases the air becomes thinner. Adjust your sight down as DA increases from your "Base Line" of data. 

As an aside everything that uses air is affected by DA. The amount of lift provided by an aircraft wing for one. And the amount of power produced by the internal combustion engine in your car (Non-tubo) and the amount of energy provided by your very own internal combustion of food in your body is affected. That is to say that if it is a 7000 foot density altitude day here in Sheridan (easy in the summertime) a man gets tried a whole lot quicker than he does when things are nice and cool.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #89 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Ed,

I see Forrest has answered most of your questions pretty well. I'd like to maybe cover the "how much recording is enuf" angle.

To be honest, at this time, I don't know what amount will be necessary to get accurate enuf data to be useful. Plus, how "fine" of DA do we need to use in order for it to be of use at the short ranges we use in Schuetzen. Forrest feels that a DA change of 500 ft. is sufficient for his puposes shooting at fairly good sized targets. He has the saving grace of only having to hit the target, whereas we have to hit a certain point on a target..... i.e. - the bullseye.

Your idea of "every target" might work out, if you shoot one target per relay. That should be more than suffricient, as at our club we use 30 minute relays. Many of our shooters tho will shoot two or three targets per relay, but I think that keeping track of every target then would be overkill.

Here's my plan. When practicing I will shoot a target, then go down and change it. I will keep track of the DA at the beginning of every target, until it's shown any differences in DA amount to less than 100 ft. At a match I will check at the beginning of every relay, unless it's shown on a given day that it doesn't need to be that frequent. We have to keep in mind that not every day will show rapid changes. Probably, on average, once an hour will be more than sufficient. But, we've all run into those days at a match when a front is moving in, or out, so it might be necessary to check more often at those times.

That DA change of 100 ft. will be what I'll start out with at first. It might end up having to be smaller, or maybe I can let it be larger.

What I feel right now is that we're cutting new ground here and can't have to much data. I can always back off on both the number of feet change in DA and the frequency of taking a measurement.

Forrest's comments on gathering his data at Sheridan and then using the same data at other ranges because he feels that the difference in elevation between all of them isn't making enuf difference to matter. This got me thinking and I checked the USGS topo maps on their web site and found that all the ranges I shoot at locally have no more than a 100 ft. difference between them and my local range. Most are even less than that.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #90 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
  Forrest's comments on gathering his data at Sheridan and then using the same data at other ranges because he feels that the difference in elevation between all of them isn't making enuf difference to matter.

PETE, 

I meant to say if there is no difference in Density Altitude at different locations there will be no change (or very little) in sight elevation for a given distance.

That is to say that if I find an elevation to hit my 670 yard target at DA of 5500 feet in here in Sheridan than I'll have a very easy time of it finding the 650 yard target at Amidon, South Dakota at 5500' Density Altitude.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #91 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Forrest,

What you said!  Smiley That's what I meant to say. Guess I didn't make it clear enuf. Glad you corrected it.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint