Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Long range sights (Read 7720 times)
Quisto56
Ex Member

Long range sights
Nov 14th, 2004 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Who makes the best long range sights . With price as no object who makes the very best and what is the best combination for exacting shooting .

Quisto56

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Re: Long range sights
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Quisto,

The accepted benchmark for iron sights these days is Montana Vintage Arms. They make very good sights front and rear with plenty of models to choose from.

I know there are other folks making sights of equal or perhaps slightly better quality and these sights are even dressed up to some degree with gold inlays on the adjustment knobs and sight aperatures! They look very nice! and they do perform as well or slightly better than MVA sights. I forget the names of these sights. I cannot afford gold leaf on my rifles anyway, having spent all my modern cash on barrels, actions, and wood already.

As an aside, in my search for a good sight, solid, repeatable, rugged and relitivly reasonable in price I bought a Pedersoli rear. Now, this sight looks kind of clunky, sort of like a Sharps rifle does but it is the most solid, dead-nuts repeatable sight I ever looked through. Even if a fellow offered me a new MVA sight I think I'd keep the Pedersoli and swap off the MVA for more powder and primers.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Quisto56,

I'll second what Forrest says about the MVA. Whenever you read a product review on a new sight the comment is always made that "it's just as good as the MVA!". The MVA is the standard all others are measured against. But, that's not to say there aren't other good makes out there, and you'll probably here from others on what they consider is the best.

For the best shooting you'll want an MVA Soule (windage and elevation) tang and an MVA bubble level windage adjustable front sight.

If you've read the thread on bubble level sights we won't need to go into the "why" of having that. The windage adjustable one is used to zero in your gun. By setting your Soule rear sight on the zero windage mark, you then use the windage adjustment on the front sight to bring your gun into line. After that you don't fool with the adjustments on it, you do all your windage with the Soule's adjustments. This is done so you aren't moving your gun back and forth trying to get at the front sight.

MVA makes a Schuetzen (short range), mid, and long range Soule sight, so you can take your pick depending on what you plan on doing with your gun. I've got one of each set myself.

PETE

IP Logged

DonN
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Quisto

I use Baldwin sights (front and rear). For my money Steve Baldwin's sights are the best around. I've been using the rear sight for over three years and it's still tight. The front sight level is in the middle of the sight so reflection is minimal. One minor disavantage with the front sight is it's dia. The animal inserts from Lee Shaver will not fit the Baldwin. There is a work around thou if your interested.    

This past summer I had a chance to see the Hoke sight. It looks like a very good sight. The elevation marks come on both sided of the staff (good for south paws). And you can get the elevation marks on a white (not silver) back round. The sight is saw had this white backround and it was very easy to read. 

As for MVA sights I think there over rated, in fact way over rated. Especially there front sight.

Just a thought about windage front sights. There higher, so for long range shooting (500 yds +) the rear sight is higher leading to less cheek contact with the stock. Most long range shooters avoid windage front sights for this reason.   

Also, if your only going to be shooting out to 500 yds or less the mid-range sight is all you need. This can save you a couple of bucks. 

I think both Steve Baldwin and Kermit Hoke have web sights.
Don

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 10:31am
Print Post  
For long Range work look to Ron Snover's sights.Other sights that are worth a look are from Joe Hepsworth. Both these sights provide enough windage for longrange work.

40 Rod

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Quisto, and everyone else,

I may be missing out because I have not read back on previous threads in regard to long range sights but here's how I use the darn things:

When the sights are purchased and finally in my hands I wait for a nice calm morning with a good reliable load and set BOTH front and rear sights on "zero" windage. Then, taking my lead beater hammer I pound the front sight back and forth until my hits down range are right-on for left/right ajustment.

When I'm done both sights will show "zero" forever in calm conditions. And! Since calm is seldom found on any rifle range a fellow none-the-less needs to know which side of zero he needs to move to correct for the condition he's shooting in.

When I step up to the line for the first time with considerable wind blowing I always crank in the major portion of my estimated correction on the front sight. This is sometimes as much as 15 to 25 minutes left or right of center. Then I try to hold as close to center as seems possible by adjusting the rear sight during the usual smaller changes in condition as the relay continues.

If a fellow tries to correct for all of the wind on the rear sight there will come a time when the sight reaches its full travel and you'll be out there "Holding off", and sight picture will be a thing of the past!

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint