Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Mystery of Standard Deviations (Read 65437 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Re: The Mystery of Standard Deviations
Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2004 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Brent,
  Well, I see we're getting closer and closer to agreeing on the same points. Glad I'm geting you trained!  Smiley

Seriously.... Will you be setting up that Excel program on your web site, and will it be set up so we can use it?

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Pete,
I don't know how I'll set it all up.  It is NOT a small chore.  But for sure, I'll put in a program so that anyone can calculate their mean and standard deviation distances for each shot from the center of a group, and a t statistic that can be used for hypothesis testing - and a manual on how to use the program and a long discussion on how to conduct such a test and god knows what else.  Not sure about the spread sheet though.  That is just for making demonstration targets that I can use to explain things.  

All of this takes some time, which is precious, so don't hold your breath.  And, if you knocking me off of my chair by saying things like you are coming around to seeing how SDs are better than ES, I would have a lot more time.  Darn near swallowed my keyboard on that one.

And don't forget, you can use statistics on a heck of a lot more than just velocity data.  What I am discussing here, refers to ANYTHING you wish to matter, and group size being one of the better indicators, it might be useful to stop thinking about just velocities.  I can get my .38 to shoot 10-shot SDs in the 1-2 fps range, but the damn rifle shoots 2-5 MOA nonetheless.  Where the problem lies, I do not know, but it's not in the loads' consistency.

Brent
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2004 at 10:55am by »  

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Brent,
  Well, didn't mean to upset you so much with my statement of coming around...... partially ..... to your way of thinking.  Smiley  Hope you didn't hurt yourself!! Between your explanations here and that FAIRLY clear article in PS I can see where SD would be better than ES's. I'm not gonna commit on statistical analysis (SA) being useful in all phases of shooting tho, so don't get your hopes up to far.

I realise that setting up a web page with all the things you need in order to show us the "true way" is not gonna be an easy task. I have no idea how you're gonna do it, and I've set up my own web site. But figure if it can be done you'll be able to do it. We ain't going anywhere so do what you can, when you can.

On your .38/55. Your problem is the part where I think SA really falls down. As you say, your SD's are great, but the results on the target aren't. There is no way SA can help you there. It can only show you what you can expect from the loads you have prepared. Your problem is just gonna have to take a lot of grunt work to figure out. Hopefully we can find some of the answers this weekend.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 7:15am
Print Post  
I have trouble with variation in both group size and SD of group size. I don't understand the relationship between N and an estimator of SD, S. Let's say we use calculated sample SD as an estimator of population SD(rather than range or one of the other estimates), what is the relationship of N to S?
I read about velo0city SD's of x.xx, yet with N =20 or above, my velocity SD's are XX.XX, frequently in the 20's or 30's of FPS.
I shoot a set of 5 groups with an average of 1" and SD of .2".
Next week, samo samo, 1.3" and .45". 
What is the N required to achieve what degree of confidence that the pop.mean group size is between A and B, and that the pop. SD is between C and D.

This is trouble for me, and I've taught statistics.
I'm beginning to think that the RANGE may be a better small sample estimator of SD than calc SD, after all, we use Range as the SD estimator in SQC.
Also, I never see mention of the term "in control". Sets of numbers, group shapes or velocities that aren't somewhat normally distributed hint at a process that isn't in control, measurement is futile. If your groups aren't round, you've got to fix that before stats can help at all.

There's a lot of dissension in the Stat world now about what quantity of what data is required before we can make certain statements-my feeling is that we've been more positive than we had any right to be for many years.

The PC is changing that. Put your chrono. velocities into an EXCEl  spreadsheet, say 25 of them, in order. Then look at calc SD for the first 10, then 11, then 12,...Note how SD varies-sometimes it's crazy!! The real world and miraculously easy calculation maybe make the theorist/mathematician start to rethink his ability to make statements.
Enough;
joe b.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Joe, 
If there is controversy in the stats world, it surely is not with respect to sample sizes for simple tests such as we do.  Baysian statistics vs standard parametrics might yet be considered a "great" controversy, but we ain't there.

Next, how do you know if your groups are not round?  If one group is a 1.5" by 2.5" group unround? Could SDs give you a hint about that?  You bet.  But to know that a group is unround is something that can be dealt with statistically and it's not even that hard.  - essentially, you would compare the mean displacement from the group's center in the horizontal dimension with the mean displacement in the verticle dimension.  A conventional two-sample t-test (comparison of means) would suffice nicely.   

Since you have taught statistics - you know that distributions have infinite tails, and you know that the probably of finding a datum in any sample of size whatever from the extreme of either tail is totally dependent on sample size.  Hence it is not a very useful measure.  Also, having obtained a range or ES, you then procede to do what?  You cannot use it in a t-test, or an Anova, or much of anything.  You could use a bunch of range estimates in a formal statistical test, but the distributions of such tests are not known to me, and I have never seen anyone do such a thing.  You will not find it in any stats text that I'm aware of.  Think of it this way, an SD uses all the information contained in each and every shot to characterize a variance (square of the SD).  Variance is a property that is very very well understood but statisticians.  SEs use information from only 2 shots regardless of how many you shot.  And, it tells you nothing about any distribution-defining parameter.   

Perhaps the best thing for you to do sometime, besides pulling out your old stats texts and looking at simple parametric comparsions of means (t-tests being the most obvious and simple, ANOVA being a possibility as well I suppose) would be to shoot 100 rounds or so, and plot SD for the first 2 shots, the first 3 shots, the first 4 shots, etc. up to 100 shots, and see what happens.  It is not "crazy".

FWIW, I have now written a program that will allow you to enter all the shots from a pair of targets and provides mean and SD estimates for the distances of each shot from the group center and also calculates a simple t-test comparison of means for a 1-tailed hypothesis testing (is my new load better than my old reference load?), estimating approximate confidence you can have that the two loads do indeed differ.

I will eventually post that software and a tutorial, example and description of what and why this is done on a website.  But right now, I'm going to go out and make a 100 shot comparison of Lapua Midas L and Wolf Match Extra ammo to decide once and for all, which is better.

Adios,
Brent

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Brent,
I am following this discussion with great interest. I am NOT being argumentative, but I would like to point out one thing in your last post:

>>>But right now, I'm going to go out and make a 100 shot comparison of Lapua Midas L and Wolf Match Extra ammo to decide once and for all, which is better. <<<

What you are going to do is to make a comparison of a "particular lot" of Lapua Midas L and a "particular lot" of Wolf Match Extra...

This test, nor any other particular test will tell you the difference between Lapua or Wolf - only those "particular lots" involved.

One thing that I have a problem with in testing particular loads in both centerfire and rimfire rifles: Since I have to test in the real world (I do not have a Mann type tunnel) then conditions play an inordinate part in the calculations. Of course, when testing, I try to pick the best conditions available, but that is NOT easy. We do not allow shooting on our local range before 9:00 A.M. The best times are often in the evening but then our local range is often being used by scheduled events at that time. Life is tough, even when you are retired, as I am Tongue.

Keep this most interesting discussion going. We have much to learn.

Dale53

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Dale, perhaps you are right.  I'm not so sure that lot to lot variation is quite as real as it often is credited for.  Again, because I'm not confident, or even aware of the data from whence these conclusions come.   

But I am pretty sure that different BRANDS of ammo are quite different.  For one thing, Lapual Midas L uses an oversize bullet relative to all the other ammo that I'm aware of.  Wolf Match Extra hits about 4" higher on the target at 100 yds so it is presumably considerably faster.  I'm willing to wager that whatever the batch to batch variation, the brand to brand variation is greater, and that is where I'm going to start.   

FWIW, I got in 45 rounds of each brand of bullet this morning before the rain arrived and with it wind.  Until then, it was darn fine shootin'.  Now to see what I actually go for results.   

Brent

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Ed Wosika has a program that figures the x,y location of each shot wrt the group center. He has written extensively in The Fouling Shot, the CBA paper. There's a scanner-based method of doing the calcs. 
The software is available, it's all been done for us. A question on the CB-L would get it for you.
The pop SD, MU, is unknown. The calc SD (root-mean-square-deviation or rms deviation) or S is an estimator of MU . The range is also used as an estimator of MU in SQC or SPC as many call it now. Range, with unbiasing multipliers, has been used as an estimator of MU for many years. Then, one might ask, if the Range, which uses only the two furthest apart values in a sample, is an adequate estimator of SD, then why isn't group size, which uses only the two furthest apart shots in a group, an adequate measure of variation, or even SD. Remember, we're interested in variation, not SD particularly. Although there's clearly a relationship between the group size and the SD of bullet variation from the center of the group. 
If the groups aren't round, the process ain't in control, and we've taught people for years that one cannot make stats based statements about a process that ain't in control. Cause there's more than one process happening. Vertical stringing or horizontal stringing or 4 in one place and 1 in another are easily read indications that the process ain't in control. 
My opinion, after a lot of research, is that group size is how matches are scored, it's an easy and cheap and simple measurement, it works just fine, and the application of statistical techniques to shooting is a sign of somebody with an excess of statistical enthusiasm.
I've lived through 3 waves of applying stats to business, the arithmetic is available and bearably easy to understand. The waves have crashed, in my opinion because stats doesn't describe the business world/manufacturing world adequately.
Tomorrow I'll look for Ed Wosika's stuff, and some sites describing the current controversy.
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Joe b.,

I pretty well agree with your summation as I've argued that math isn't altogether useful for determining accuracy or reliability of any given load.  Personally I've never seen the best load SD-wise shoot the best. You have to have a good SD/ES but that doesn't mean it shoots the best.

But you're losing me when you say if a group isn't round the process isn't in control. What do you mean by process or control..... The load isn't good, or I'm not in control for having shot a non round group?

I'll freely admit what you guys are talking about is WAY beyond my 8th grade education, but if I get what you're talking about as far as "round groups" go, it means to me an actual group that's round. Doesn't happen that often in the real world just thru normal distribution of the shots, and the myriad other factors effecting a group. A case in point is target #1 that I put up on my web site. The measurement shown is 9/16" but if you measure across the next widest C to C it's also 9/16", yet that is far from being a round group.

The SD of target #2 suggests that all other groups shot with this load/alloy have a pretty good confidence level that it will repeat. And in fact it does, most of the time, thru using that combo as a reference for all other testing. SD also bounces around quite a bit, as a group I shot with that combo had half the SD of the above, and the group shows it, being about half the above, altho it is strung out horizontally.

So somewhere you're leaving me behind here, unless round to you means something it doesn't to me.

PETE

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 1:41am
Print Post  
I like the concept of a round group. This is how I understand the concept.  If all the external factors are under control, no or uniform wind, rifle properly bedded, sight blocks tight (I shot 20+ rounds a while ago with the front block loose), etc., etc., and if the rifle is sighted so that your bullets strike the middle of the 25-ring or other aiming point, then a large number of shot holes would be randomly distributed in all 4 quadrants.  That means if you shot enough times, the average horizontal displacement from the center and the average vertical displacement from the center would be about the same and you would have a "round" group and you are testing the ammunition  The trials of .22 ammunition should demonstrate this.  If the shot holes are not randomly distributed about the aiming point, perhaps an external factor is "in control".

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 6:14am
Print Post  
We say that the process (shooting the gun) is "in control" when the measurement of the output is kind of distributed normally, the bell curve. For groups, that would mean that the groups are round. Now round is sort of subjective, but we all know exactly what I'm talking about. You know a round group when you see it, and a non-round group too. Wednesday I shot a M54 Winchester 30/30 at 100 yds with 311299, and a contender 7TCU at 50 yds with 139 Hornaday. The 30/30 load is what I shoot in my SS bench gun/martini. The M54 averaged 1.192" for 8 "round" groups, the contender shot 1.975", 2.0" and 2.15" groups that were maybe twice as high as they were round. 
The 30/30 was "in control", the 7TCU was "out of control". Something other than random variation was affecting the pistol, my guess is that there isn't enough powder-the ignition is varying, and MV varies. The pistol doesn't have one process going on, it has a maybe 1400 fps process, a 1450 fps process, a 1500 fps process.....
There's no statistics applied to the pistol that makes sense.
The process is out of control.
The traditional CBA/ASSRA "oh shit" group has 4 in a single hole, and the fifth out toward Cleveland somewhere. The process is out of control-something happened, and if we can find out what that something is, we can fix it. Exotic measurement techniques won't help.

joe b.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 6:38am
Print Post  
For Ed Wosika's work on stats for shooting, start at
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
For some more-than-boring discussion of the controversy going on in stats, try
or enter "statistical inference disagreement" for instance in Google, and prepare to lose consciousness.
The cites above demonstrate that we've got far too many people in this country who should be doing something else.
joe b.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Brent;

>>>But I am pretty sure that different BRANDS of ammo are quite different.  For one thing, Lapual Midas L uses an oversize bullet relative to all the other ammo that I'm aware of.  Wolf Match Extra hits about 4" higher on the target at 100 yds so it is presumably considerably faster.  I'm willing to wager that whatever the batch to batch variation, the brand to brand variation is greater, and that is where I'm going to start.   <<<

I am certainly in agreement here. My previous statement was predicated on the fact that I have considerable problems trying to fine tune my .22 ammo selection. I buy a small quantity of various brands and lots of ammo. By the time I get to the range on a "good" day, select which is best, no more of that particular lot is available. Sheesh!!

With a tuner on a bolt gun, at least you can "help" a "not so perfect" selection. However, with Single Shot rules , I cannot use a tuner so I am stuck with brand selection. I finally give up in disgust and just buy a case or two of what "looks good". Not really the best way around it, but there it is - the REAL world.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 10:56am
Print Post  
joe b.,

I guess we need to know a little more about what you consider "out of control". Your example is way out in left field as far as bench Schuetzen goes.

Yesterday I was working up a new lot of powder. As an aside it was amazing how much I had to change the powder charge to get the same accuracy and MV. Anyway.... This gun on a calm day shoots 5 shots at 100 yds. right at 9/16". When I had this latest lot worked up the MV's were the same and so was the accuracy. BUT.... Four shots were inside 1/4", and the group was strung out in a horizontal line.

Now if I get your thinking right since this group was not round and had one shot out, it was "out of control". In fact, in only one or two instances I've never seen a round group with this combo.

Since I also gather you're not much of a fan of statistical analysis, how would you go about determining whether this was just an odd distribution, or "out of control"? To me there are many things that could have caused that "flyer". Me not having good enuf control of the gun, a bad bullet, or maybe a condition caught me.

This is where I think Brent's argument for statistical analysis helps us. The SD for this group was 3.6 and the ES was 7.1, If you care to look at that target I posted..... #2..... you will see that approx. the same SD/ES gave the same size group.

So, I feel in this case that statistical analysis gave us a clue that it was the norm for this load even tho the group wasn't round, and that the load was "out of control".

Of course there is always the possibility that another load combo will give better results, but for this combo it appears as tho this is the best that can be done.

I will agree that if the "flyer" is way out then we need to figure out what the problem is, and in the above case statistical analysis shows it's probably not the load, since the SD/ES show it's pretty good for smokeless powder. But supposing the SD/ES showed like the above but we had a flyer out in left field. On repeating the same test we got the same results. Then we would have to look somewhere else since the load appears to be ok. We could then assume that there was something wrong with the gun, bullet, or our shooting ability. Without that SD/ES data we wouldn't have a clue as to where the problem might lay.

This is why I agree with both you and Brent to some degree. Statistical analysis give you a clue as to what's happening, but the size of the group and it's "roundness" tell us a lot to. Using both together, and not believing either is the only truth is what's needed..... in my opinion.

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Joe B,
I wrote another long dissertation concerning each of your points.  Of course, it was "too long" to post, according to the damn websoftware.  Told me to go back and modify it, and, of course, there was nothing there to go back to.  

But really, it was a waste of my time anyway, since you already know all about statistics and how they are so damn useless.  

But since you know all this stuff that I surely don't, perhaps you can tell me which of the targets on this webpage were made with a gun that was "in control", or out of control - horizontal, or out of control - verticle?  Cause w/o stats, I surely cannot tell...

Brent

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2004 at 5:16pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint