Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 1/2 Action Function Question (Read 1393 times)
Liveoak
Participating Member

Stevens 44 1/2 Action Function Question
Jul 6th, 2024 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
I recently acquired my first Stevens, this one a #44 1/2 in .32-40.  It appears in good condition, unabused and unmolested.  It shows good preliminary accuracy but I've a question about the way its action functions.  According to de Hass the hammer should go to the safe position upon chambering a fresh round.  Mine does not always do this but sometimes allows the hammer to come to rest touching the firing pin as the action is closed.  I'd appreciate knowledgeable comments or ideas on the cause and correction of what appears to me to be an unsafe condition.  Thank you in advance for the benefit of your experience and expertise.  FCH

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 Action Function Question
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Upon opening the action the link should lift the hammer slightly past the half cock position. Perhaps the trigger spring is weak. Someone might have done a trigger job and messed up the notch for half cock. The fly in the hammer could be an issue. The link could be worn where it contacts the hammer, to lift it. I am not sure what would happen if the link was installed upside down,but that's a possibility I guess.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
If it does not catch every time but does function some of the time it probably could use a good cleaning. Old dry oil will cause the trigger to drag enough so it does not engage the hammer notch.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
2nd John Taylor’s advise. CPA can do the same thing, one of mine has it going on now. It’s due a good cleaning 

Boats

IP Logged

Liveoak
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your advice and suggestions.  This afternoon I disassembled the rifle (short of removing the link) and gave it a good cleaning & inspection.  It was not very dirty and the parts all showed little wear; indeed were crisp.  Paid particular attention to the trigger where the both notches are in good shape.  I reassembled carefully looking at deHass' diagram and photos (of the hammer & fly) from a thread on the 44 1/2 double set trigger found on this forum.  Unfortunately nothing changed.
On inspection I noticed the hammer will rotate back just short of the half cock position when opening the action from the fired position and then move back forward as the action is fully opened.  Pressure on the back of the trigger has no effect but a very slight manual movement of the hammer back drops the trigger tip into the half cock notch. Does this suggest anything?
  Thanks again for your help. (Of course, now I know how to safely fire the rifle; just requires putting the hammer manually in safe/half cock before I open the action after I fire.  Once it's in half cock, it'll stay.)  But it ain't right!  FCH

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a worn or incorrectly installed link. Maybe from another rifle. 

When you drop the lever, the cams the hammer back. When you get to the bottom of the lever travel, the link can contact the front of the trigger assembly, preventing the extractor from dropping far enough to clear the case for loading. 

It’s possible someone tried to get the lever to drop more by removing material at the wrong place on the link. 

Being a 32-40 largest case offered, that might be a good possibility.

Or simply a worn hole and pin.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Pull the breech block and check the link as mentioned.  For both position and wear.

This first picture shows the area of contact, between the link and the hammer, that pushes the hammer back

The second picture show the way it should be assembled.  The arrow is just showing the off-set of the hump in the plunger for proper installation.  If you need to remove the link be careful, this plunger has some pressure on it.

I am assuming yours is a single trigger and not a double set.   
So, when you drop the breach block watch the plunger in the frame as shown in this picture by the arrow.  It puts pressure to the front of the breech block.  This plunger and spring is pressure loaded from the front of the frame and beside the barrel.  As the bb drops down the plunger will come out.  Forearm needs to come off to access the pressure screw.  If the plunger is hammer shaped it is directional for reassembly.

Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
As mentioned, when you disassemble the action and remove the breech block,  the breech block plunger and spring will fall out of the action unless you keep it tilted downward.

IP Logged

Liveoak
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
As a result of expert alerts, suggestions , guidance, images, instructions, etc., from this august group I have discovered the cause of the function abnormality in my Stevens 44 1/2.  The cause is most probably due to a "refinement" of the link profile/shape by a previous custodian of the rifle.  As mentioned above, it's safe to fire the rifle as is but I'll likely find an unmolested link to complete the adventure.  My sincere thanks to the several experts on this forum who generously offered their knowledge to help me resolve the problem.  FCH

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
CPA lists new links for original Stevens 44 1/2's on their website for $15.

IP Logged

Liveoak
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2024 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Ordered.  Lots'a good stuff!  Thanks,FCH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint