Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Swede RB Forearm Bedding Question (Read 508 times)
fjrdoc
Participating Member

Swede RB Forearm Bedding Question
Jun 30th, 2024 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Hello ASSRA Members
I recently purchased a Carl Gustav sporterized roller in 8x56R. This is my most recent project rifle. I purchased new wood from Treebone carving and I intend to make the old girl look more like an original Remington sporting rifle.
The bore on the rifle is excellent and she shoots nicely with cast loads. I've search for answers regarding bedding of the forearm. Some advocate free-floating the forearm and bedding the proximal aspect where it meets the receiver. 
Is there a reason not to bed the forearm at the receiver as well as along the barrel channel? This rifle will be used for recreational shooting and deer hunting.
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

GunBum

Re: Swede RB Forearm Bedding Question
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 11:32am
Print Post  
The forend is touching the barrel at the frame and wherever it is attached further forward.  I usually bed the whole thing to contact evenly across its entire length.  That eliminates most of the possibility of having some point contacting intermittently.   

Others may disagree, but free floating isn’t easily achieved on a forend that has to touch in two places.  I also think that free floating is the laziest way to get the forend contact right.  No touch means no intermittent contact as the barrel heats or the wood moves from moisture and temperature changes.  It’s much harder to inlet wood perfectly.  Bedding is the next best way to get even contact.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I bed the forearm to the barrel, but I leave a very small gap where the forearm meets the front of the receiver. Just enough to slide a dollar bill into the gap. 
I've found this works best for me, and I do it on all my stock sets.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

fjrdoc
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your input guys. My initial thought was to bed the entire forearm. I started to have second thoughts after reading other posts.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2024 at 8:13am
Print Post  
I like Marlinguy only bed the barrel to the for end. I usually bed the front of the receiver when I do the barrel then relieve the receiver contact once the bedding has hardened. Doing this has the added benefitt of sealing the end grain of the wood from moisture.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 10:21am
Print Post  
I bedded the entire forearm to the barrel but you leave a gap about the width of a business card between the end of the forearm and the receiver.

Vibrations from the barrel rubbing against the receiver will affect your accuracy.

Shiloh Sharps bedded my 1874 forearm but the wood was tight against the receiver and the accuracy was not good.

Kirk said the wood need to be relieved - which resulted in improved accuracy.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2024 at 10:33am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

fjrdoc
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your input guys. I'll figure out what I'm going to do whenever I start working on the forestock. 
Last weekend, I fitted the butt to the receiver and glass bedded it. I have a lot of shaping and scraping to get the stock contour to where I'm happy with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint