Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lyman 55 Hopper (Read 453 times)
nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Lyman 55 Hopper
Jul 7th, 2024 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I thought this might be of interest to those with a lathe and mill. Many years ago I picked up some brass tubing, 2" od and used a piece to replace the hopper on a Lyman 55 measure. Back then I just used a dremmel to grind out the radius that holds the plastic hopper in. Since then I have added to my shop and when I picked up a Lyman measure without a hopper I got to figuring on a way to hold the measure to open it up to hold the new hopper.   
I figured I would turn an arbor to hold the measure and mount it in the chuck on my rotary table. That would give me stability in one direction and if I clamped the bottom to an angle plate it would hold it in the other direction. I figured as long as the cuts were light things would be ok. I was right and it worked out well. I do have limited vertical space with my mill, its a small one but it still got the job done. I only opened up the diameter by .005 a pass and it ended up being a pretty easy job. 
The pics tell pretty much the rest of the story. Maybe this will help someone else out with a bad hopper.
Sam

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Re: Lyman 55 Hopper
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Nice.

I have one with a cloudy plastic tube and no cap. I have a piece of brass tube waiting for me to get ambitious.

Mine is threaded, female in the casting. But it seems I've seen them with a press fit. Don't remember internal or external. Is that what yours is, or another variant?

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
MIne was the press fit. If you look close at the top  pic you can kind of make out the radius ring that that held the hopper in. I just bored it out enough to take that ring out and a bit more. The tool height above the part is about as much clearance as I have on the mill with that set up. The threaded hopper would be the same process but maybe with a little less material to remove. Judging from the chips, the measure body is cast iron as the chips came off as dust. 
The mounting stud was a piece of 1 1/4 aluminum rod. The area inside of the measure was turned to just fit into the measure. approx .998". With light cuts nothing moved and all went well. My down feed is all by hand and feel as my mill has no power feed in any direction. The extra clearance between the measure and the brass tube will easily be taken up by some epoxy. Any excess that slops out can be easily cleaned up with rubbing alcohol. 
Sam

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
About ten years ago I bought several of the plexiglass "powder reservoirs" from Lyman. Also, the Lyman powder reservoirs fit the Hollywood powder measures too.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 10:30am
Print Post  
For a short time either Buffalo Arms or Track of the Wolf offered a brass replacement reservoir that was threaded for the earlier Lyman 55s, one of which I happened to have.  It’s a pretty tall tube and I believe it will hold well over a pound of BP.  I’ve thought of putting my Culver clone micrometer rotor on it, but hate the thought of having to clean it after every use.  I find BP fouls my brass rotors in iron powder measures much worse and more quickly than smokeless.  Undecided

On the topic of brass replacement reservoirs, I had both a Little Dandy and a (Lyman) Accu Measure whose plastic reservoirs had become damaged.  Just went to an old fashioned plumbing supply company and found nickel plated brass drain pipe of the proper size and repaired them with a classy look!  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint