Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Renting a chamber reamer (Read 1299 times)
jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Renting a chamber reamer
Jul 6th, 2024 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
My hobby of single shots and working on them sometimes requires the rental of a chamber reamer as I am sure for a lot of us it keeps us from having to invest in expensive tooling to cut just one chamber. I ordered from Elk Ridge a 45-70 and a 7x57 Mauser reamer and they came yesterday (FRI) but two things struck me one being you had only 3 days to use it. Last one I ordered gave if I remember correctly 7 days? And the real surprise was the 45-70 reamer wasn't even cleaned before sending to me. The tube had chips and oil in it and the reamer was packed with chips in it's flutes and the floating pilot bushing was stuck with fines and wouldn't turn. Now if I return it in this way I would firstly be dinged on my credit card and probably black listed. But if I received it that way can I expect a refund? Probably not but sure as shooting they are going to get a little note from me. Quality control is apparently non existent now days. Anyone else having such problems?

JMH

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Renting a chamber reamer
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
I've attempted to rent a couple in the last few years, both from CH-4D.  The first was a .32-20 rifle reamer.  The owner said he was having trouble getting the thing back from the last renter.  I waited for several months before getting an email saying it finally was back; did I still want it?

I emailed Yes, and the thing came, in good condition.  Had no trouble using it in the three days available and sent it back.

Recently, I tried to rent a .40-65 reamer from the same outfit, and was told that it was being refurbished after a previous customer had damaged it.  It would not be available for months.  I dropped the inquiry and bought one from Manson Reamers.  It arrived in a couple weeks.  Expensive, but saved me a long wait.

Up to this time, I had rented a fair number of reamers in the past from Shawnie Tools, Elk Ridge and CH-4D, depending on who had what I wanted, and there was no trouble getting them promptly, using them in the interval allowed and sending them back.  I don't know whether the current problems are related to the post-Covid response lack of good help or the general level of social decay currently ongoing reaching down into the ranks of reamer renters, but twice in a row, I can't see as merely a coincidence.

It's too bad, as those rental outfits were very valuable and economical help to those of us who do a one-off every now and then.  But I can see where my own disinclination to lend tools to other people comes from.  I don't know how I'd do a rental service, with the luck I have.

IP Logged

TomKlinger

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
IMO, a rented reamer is a gamble. You have know idea how many chambers have been cut and or if the people before you knew how to use it. It’s a good way to screwup a project. It’s always better to get a custom reamer made for the brass you intend to use and the barrel. Unless you really don’t care about accuracy…
Tom Klinger

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
You are right in that respect but my budget especially now can't stand the price (ex 38-72 win or 38-50 Rem $288.00 and a very lengthy wait) from Manson. I may have to get a loan I guess because no one rents either and folks that have them won't lend them which I understand cause I probably wouldn't either nor will they do the work for me. This is the first time I have ever had anything like this happen and the rounds I have chambered in past came out ok. At least they met my accuracy needs. I don't punch paper just deer and metal silhouette. Anybody out there wanna chamber a 38-72 and a 38-50 Rem for me....

JMH

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I'm still willing to rent my .38-72 reamer to you, as we had messaged before I left for Quigley.  Reading your want ads, thought you had switched over to .38-50.  Didn't realize you were doing both.

Did you ever get the .38-50 dies?  I probably have a set if you didn't, and will likely never use them, except maybe as an intermediate step in forming something.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 5:50am
Print Post  
I would buy a new reamer,then sell it after using it and recoup most of the money for the purchase.

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I buy a reamer and keep it because I’m guaranteed to need it again.  Tooling costs money.  After buying a lathe and milling machine years ago, the cost of reamers, etc. is inevitable.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I have over 100 chamber reamers but don't always have what I need. Ordered a 303 Savage from 4D and it looks like it has never been used. This is the first time in over 25 years that I have done a 303 savage so I didn't feel the need to order in a new reamer. Sometimes on odd reamers I make the customer pay for the reamer. I have one reamer that I have never used and don't know how it ended up here.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

MarkTrew
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I do agree with an earlier post, a rented reamer is a big gamble.  How close does the reamer match the print?  It can be worn and have an undersize chamber.

Mark Trew

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Ok I started this so I have a question hope someone can answer. Manson and Pacific gave me a very lengthy lead time on reamers. Are they so far behind it takes them that long or what could be the reason. They have the print in inventory and I know enough about tool grinding to know it don't take that long. Just curious...

JMH

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
IIRC, it was the Hartford Reamer Co that sent me a letter once saying that although they had a fairly significant lead time on reamer orders (maybe six weeks back then), they were also committed to the practice of making two of them when a given order came up in its turn.

This ensured that the customer would get a good reamer regardless of accidents or screwups.  If both reamers were good, the extra was put into inventory and the lucky next customer that happened to order that particular chamber reamer got it as quickly as they could put it in the mail.

I think the issue at present is less how quickly an experienced toolmaker can make a given reamer and more how a tool&die maker can train a Diversity Studies Major (or whatever is out there on the job market nowadays) to be a productive employee.  Most schools are de-emphasizing the skilled trades courses, if not eliminating them entirely.  If you don't have the people, productivity goes down.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Called PT&G today for a couple dovetail cutters and a reamer, They don't even list the 1/2-60 degree cutter anymore. I have bought several over the years. The young lady that I talked to had trouble understanding what I wanted and told me she would have Pete call me. Have not received a call yet. Also needed a 327 mag chamber reamer, seems mine came up missing with most of my head space gauges when I moved.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Piglet 545

Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 6:51am
Print Post  
White rock tool and die is pretty good to work with.  Old school. Was in K.c. now in Texas. Might give him a call see if he has reamer your looking for.

IP Logged

Mass Patriot
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
I rented a reamer from 4D and it worked out fine.  Shipped quickly, and I had a week to use it.  This was a common reamer, .22 Sporting, so they probably have many lying around.

NRA Life Member, and an NRA Golden Eagle
Massachusetts GOAL member

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2024 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Jul 6th, 2024 at 1:21pm:
My hobby of single shots and working on them sometimes requires the rental of a chamber reamer as I am sure for a lot of us it keeps us from having to invest in expensive tooling to cut just one chamber. I ordered from Elk Ridge a 45-70 and a 7x57 Mauser reamer and they came yesterday (FRI) but two things struck me one being you had only 3 days to use it. Last one I ordered gave if I remember correctly 7 days? And the real surprise was the 45-70 reamer wasn't even cleaned before sending to me. The tube had chips and oil in it and the reamer was packed with chips in it's flutes and the floating pilot bushing was stuck with fines and wouldn't turn. Now if I return it in this way I would firstly be dinged on my credit card and probably black listed. But if I received it that way can I expect a refund? Probably not but sure as shooting they are going to get a little note from me. Quality control is apparently non existent now days. Anyone else having such problems?

JMH

Clean the reamer, free up the pilot, check the dimensions of the reamer and if all is good chamber your barrel. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2024 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
John Taylor wrote on Jul 8th, 2024 at 6:54pm:
Called PT&G today for a couple dovetail cutters and a reamer, They don't even list the 1/2-60 degree cutter anymore. I have bought several over the years. The young lady that I talked to had trouble understanding what I wanted and told me she would have Pete call me. Have not received a call yet. Also needed a 327 mag chamber reamer, seems mine came up missing with most of my head space gauges when I moved.

Brownell's still has a large assortment for reasonable prices, and various widths and angles. 10% off if you have a business account.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2024 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I have some clear plastic rods that I drill a pilot hole in and "chamber" with rental (or purchased used) reamers to make sure that they are sharp, cut smoothly and are proper for the cartridge.  I use WD-40 as a lubricant and I go slow.

A dull edge will melt the plastic rather than cut it, no matter how slowly I advance the reamer; an otherwise invisible burr or nick on a blade will make a circular scratch in the chamber that doesn't go away.  A properly done "chamber" in the clear plastic is transparent all the way through, and you can insert a dummy cartridge and see the space it takes up.

I figure this isn't a "real" chamber, since the plastic won't wear the cutting blades the way the one chamber in metal that I agreed to eventually will do.

I have to say that I've never been disappointed in any reamers I've rented that I've actually been able to get.  They've been sharp, cut smooth chambers and I see no runout or bulged cases after firing in said chambers.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2024 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Rented a 44-40 reamer from 4D many years ago. Sent me a cylinder reamer. Called them and they asked me if I could grind a pilot on it. I did and chambered a rifle with it. They never charged me for it. Far as I could tell it was a new reamer.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint