Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Renting a chamber reamer (Read 1297 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Renting a chamber reamer
Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2024 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
John Taylor wrote on Jul 8th, 2024 at 6:54pm:
Called PT&G today for a couple dovetail cutters and a reamer, They don't even list the 1/2-60 degree cutter anymore. I have bought several over the years. The young lady that I talked to had trouble understanding what I wanted and told me she would have Pete call me. Have not received a call yet. Also needed a 327 mag chamber reamer, seems mine came up missing with most of my head space gauges when I moved.

Brownell's still has a large assortment for reasonable prices, and various widths and angles. 10% off if you have a business account.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2024 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I have some clear plastic rods that I drill a pilot hole in and "chamber" with rental (or purchased used) reamers to make sure that they are sharp, cut smoothly and are proper for the cartridge.  I use WD-40 as a lubricant and I go slow.

A dull edge will melt the plastic rather than cut it, no matter how slowly I advance the reamer; an otherwise invisible burr or nick on a blade will make a circular scratch in the chamber that doesn't go away.  A properly done "chamber" in the clear plastic is transparent all the way through, and you can insert a dummy cartridge and see the space it takes up.

I figure this isn't a "real" chamber, since the plastic won't wear the cutting blades the way the one chamber in metal that I agreed to eventually will do.

I have to say that I've never been disappointed in any reamers I've rented that I've actually been able to get.  They've been sharp, cut smooth chambers and I see no runout or bulged cases after firing in said chambers.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2024 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Rented a 44-40 reamer from 4D many years ago. Sent me a cylinder reamer. Called them and they asked me if I could grind a pilot on it. I did and chambered a rifle with it. They never charged me for it. Far as I could tell it was a new reamer.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint