Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1884 Trapdoor difficult to extract (Read 523 times)
emmett22405

1884 Trapdoor difficult to extract
Apr 7th, 2024 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Dusted off my 84 in 45/70 after several years off and was amazed to find that most of my cast 300 grain sized  .458 would not let the trapdoor close, or if it closed the handle rested over the firing pin and blocked the hammer from striking it or even if the trapdoor closed and then fired, was almost impossible to remove the fired --or nonfired cartridge. OAL was under 2.55 the lot. Out of 40 rounds about 6 fired  What gives???  I tried the Lee Factory creimp die and 2 more went into the chamber OK  Help please. Thanks

IP Logged

1Hawkeye

Re: 1884 Trapdoor difficult to extract
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2024 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
It could be a couple of things. The rounds could be was oversized 
.480" is the spec diameter for the round at the case mouth or it could be something in the chamber preventing the rounds from seating properly.

IP Logged

emmett22405

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2024 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Thanks. You are right in a way as i found out late last night  All my cases from either Starline or WW measured in spec in every dimension empty or loaded EXCEPT that the vast majority of my Starline cases have too thick a rim ie well over 0.070" and they will not chamber or if they do have to be beaten out with vigor. The WW are all UNDER 0.070 and work like a charm. Sadly, I used only Starline brass at the range .

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2024 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Trapdoors are very good extractors except with faulty ammunition, one of the things that Custer had trouble with. 

Depending on how much oversize the cases are and after inspecting the rifles rim recess for burrs etc Think I would  experiment with reducing the Starlines rim thickness.

Lot of us use use pistol primers for mild smokeless or BP loads. They are a bit shorter, could facing off some of the cases base leaving adequate thickness to fully seat the pistol primer & cure the problem 

Be simple to hold the cases in a loading die chuck the die in the lathe and face off a few thousandth. Lot faster than reducing thickness on the front side. 

Boats

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2024 at 8:06am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Apr 11th, 2024 at 5:25am:
Trapdoors are very good extractors except with faulty ammunition, one of the things that Custer had trouble with. 

Depending on how much oversize the cases are and after inspecting the rifles rim recess for burrs etc Think I would  experiment with reducing the Starlines rim thickness.

Lot of us use use pistol primers for mild smokeless or BP loads. They are a bit shorter, could facing off some of the cases base leaving adequate thickness to fully seat the pistol primer & cure the problem 

Be simple to hold the cases in a loading die chuck the die in the lathe and face off a few thousandth. Lot faster than reducing thickness on the front side. 

Boats

And if that method results in a too shallow primer pocket by a couple thousandths it's a simple matter to also deepen it by a like amount with a primer pocket cutter to restore it.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2024 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Looks to be so much easier to just dedicate some win. brass to that rifle instead of modifying the Starline...

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2024 at 6:32am
Print Post  
For sure best remedy is use the correct brass. 

Boats

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2024 at 7:52am
Print Post  
This is the second report I've seen of difficulties with Starline 45-70 brass. The first was on another forum earlier this month and was about newly purchased cases being under diameter, even after an initial resizing. The OP on that one tried to contact Starline but without results. I suggested he anneal the cases.
Personally, I've never had any issues with any of the Starline brass in my collection.

John

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2024 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Fact is little uniformity brass headstand to headstamp. Loading calibers like we use rifles chambers vary widely too. Due obscure calibers or short brass supply often have to make adjustments. If I had a good supply of Starline 45/70 would probably alter it. 

Even common volume cartridges have fit issues. Use range pick up 9 mm best sort out known problems or cases used in loose chambered guns. “Glocked” well known. Easier to sort and toss with 9’s 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint