Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lyman tang sight woes (Read 484 times)
gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Lyman tang sight woes
Apr 4th, 2024 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Lyman tang sight with a loose stem (wobbles, a lot, inside knurled elevation adjusting collar). How to fix? Do I need to tear into the guts of one of these sights for the first time in my life?

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman tang sight woes
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I had one apart probably 10 years ago.  I think it was this sight but might be wrong.  Mine was stuck and could not be turned with your fingers.  There was a small screw on the side that when removed let out several very small ball bearings.  Once they were out it came apart.  I cleaned it up, reinstalled the bearing and it worked fine.  So, if yours has the small screw it probably comes apart the same way.  I wonder if the tiny bearings are bad.  
If you pull the spring, like shown in my picture, beware that you will need to readjust the standing position detent. The nut opposite the loop locks the spring into position, so leave it loose until the sight is adjusted for your gun.  
To adjust, install the spring through the base clevis and into the sight stem base.  I use a piece of leather under a small vice grip to compress the spring.  Once the spring is through the base, release the vice grip.  Turn the spring until it locks into the detent in the sight stem base.  Install the sight on the gun and lock the spring in place with the nut when the standing position is correct.
Bob
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2024 at 10:55pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 8:13am
Print Post  
I met this guy at our Heritage Arms Show last weekend that does Marbles and Lyman sight repair.
Mike Marricini
marblesfix@chartermi.net

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 10:40am
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Apr 4th, 2024 at 9:19pm:
Lyman tang sight with a loose stem (wobbles, a lot, inside knurled elevation adjusting collar). How to fix? Do I need to tear into the guts of one of these sights for the first time in my life?

If it's one of the lower priced Lymans that didn't have the locking collar for the stem this is a common problem. Those with the lock collar didn't have this issue.
It's usually caused by years of wear, and either the stem, collar, or both are well worn and need replacement.

This is the locking collar style that never have loose stem issues:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 11:13am
Print Post  
The subject sight. The stem bounces around like bpjack on the dance floor.

Positioning detent and locking mechanism are fine. Knurled collar moves stiffly, but moves. The issue is entirely centered on the utter looseness of the stem.

Frankly I would rather have a simple ladder/vernier tang sight. A basic one would be fine, no precision adjustments needed. It is after all just a very occasional .32 RF/.32 Colt backyard plinker. If someone has such a beast......

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I had the same problem.

I removed the stem and used a small punch to dimple the side of the stem (near the base).
The dimples flared it enough so that it was tight when put back into place.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Gnoahhh, I will have you know that I had some serious dance moves in my early 30s during my disco phase. Not a pretty sight though Smiley

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Although I have some old guns with Marbles and Lyman tang sights, and think they're kinda neat, they are not my first choice for any accurate shooting. 
I also prefer almost any vernier or even graduated peep tang sights over them. The typical tang sights are all tighter and better adjustments than the Lyman or Marbles base model sights. Until you get up to the micrometer style Marbles and Lymans with good windage and elevation adjustments, the rest are just sort of plinker sights.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint