Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Worn Ballard Project (Read 1327 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Worn Ballard Project
Aug 18th, 2023 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
It seems like like quite a while since I've done anything with a Ballard but this week I finally got motivated and started working on one.  The casting is one of Rodney's, it's one modeled after the design George Worn did. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Arthur Hubalek was mentioned frequently at the same time, he was a 22rf barrel guy, he just used Worn's action?  The originals I've seen of the Worn's had a lot of "bug holes" in the castings, something Rodney's doesn't have... Wink
I haven't made a lot of progress on this yet as I'm still stretched pretty thin with the current work load but what seemed to motivate me was some barrel work I started.  My big mill was un-occupied for a few moments so I set it up to octagon a barrel or two - that's turned into a half a dozen now, at least this week and there's still a couple more I want to run through it.  With the barrels cut and sitting there I tend to get the itch to build.   
The Worn is going to get a RKS 1:12 twist, left hand, gain twist, 30", 22 rf twisted on to it.  I finished the octagon on the barrel this evening and I'd set the action up in the lathe and threaded it for the barrel tenon - a 16 thread square - early this morning.  I have the action flipped around now and I hope to have a few minutes in the morning to thread it for the tang.
The striker design for the worn differs a lot from my design but it'll be fun to compare them.
I took a picture or two of a regular Ballard next to the Worn, there's considerable difference in length between the two.   Hopefully more to follow.
GT

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Re: Worn Ballard Project
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Greg,

Thank you once again for posting pics of your projects. I don't always respond but always do appreciate you posting them and explaining what you are doing. 

Sometimes I even learn something. Even a caveman can learn things once in a while.  Grin

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Any of the projects I see here on the ASSRA simply amaze to me. There are times that I think that a membership requirement for here is to be at least an accomplished machinist.  Looking forward to more pictures and seeing the end result. Thanks for posting your project Ballard.

John
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2023 at 2:24pm by Timetripper »  

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 8:45am
Print Post  
New projects are always a bit exiciting no matter how many you have done...

JMH

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Ive always liked those little Worn Ballards. I had the chance to own a striker fired Hubalek barreled one and cheaped out. Wish id bought it. I do have a  Hubalek barreled Standard Ballard that has had the hammer fall shortened and was unfired when I got it. Its a good but not a great shooter. Always enjoy seeing your projects Greg. I get big time tool envy too. Your indexing setup to octagon that barrel makes my stuff look like tinker-toys and legos. Look forward to seeing more. Best

Zack

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Another new one to me Greg.  I kind of count on you for my education on the odd guns.  Between you and Tony I’m getting way behind too many projects.

It’s always amazing the pile of razor sharp little needles that cutting an  octagon makes!
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Nice to see you sharing another Ballard build project GT. Gotta love those non-rebated Ballard castings from Rodney. I've got one I need to move forward on too Wink

Been busy collecting apricot & cherry pits to make into charcoal lately, now that I've got the HotShot oven to play with...

Cheers!
Jeff P

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
I'll add my thanks for sharing your project Greg, but I gotta ask -
            12 twist for a .22RF?

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks all for the comments.

Jerry, you may be a self proclaimed caveman when it comes to making these parts... (I don't think so) but you haven't seen me shoot either. Grin Nice score by the way.

Bob, when you are covered up and not know which way to turn, it's a good feeling, take your pick with whichever strikes your fancy for the day.

Joe,
The matches that have been catching my attention are the extreme long range (ELR).  For most it's not where they choose to go.  I hear comments like it's a waste of time and money, the 22 wasn't designed to shoot over 100yds, the ammo you get dictates it's accuracy, leave the long range for center fire, etc. - Modern CF bores me.

I've slipped over to the dark side a little bit and I've been buying and building more of the modern actions and gear.  I've made tooling and dies, purchased some lab grade equipment for loading and testing so the path chasing Nivins McTwisp down that hole has been an interesting one.  Surprising accuracy has been seen with the modern rifles - out to 500 yds - I wouldn't have believed it without being a part of it.

There are a couple in my mess with much faster twists than this that'll make you scratch your head - so I'm dabbling a little more. 
I have barely touched on the modern guns and game compared to some but as you can guess, showing up at an ELR match with a Hepburn was good humor.  The majority of the folks didn't even know these existed and there was considerable laughter- even more when l produced a Ballard and a High Wall.  The Heartburn only has a 1:14 twist barrel on it but when it produced a 5 shot, 12" group at 465 yards using a Soule sight (used every corner of the target Smiley ) it got recognized- modern, scoped, a good shooter - they'll shoot a group a third that size on a good day or when they're under pressure - even better.
I could go on with a couple more pages of opinions and experiences regarding the ELR but I'll save that for another post some day.
Greg
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2023 at 3:32pm by GT »  

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Greg, who sanctions these matches? Do they require fixed ammo?

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2023 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Frank,
There is a group on one of the other forums that has something semi organized.  I have a small group that gets together and does a little bit, then there's always a side match at one of the monthly Pro series match that goes to an extreme distance.  So far we haven't come up with any limitations and we tossed out the time constraints last match, just had to be reasonable - can't wait for conditions, it be after dark if we did that.  You're thinking of breech seating?
We're trying to organize a match of various configurations over Labor Day.  Maybe start something...

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2023 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Back on topic...

I found a few minutes this evening and threaded the tang end of the receiver.  I then took my setup to the mill and cut the beveled recess for the butt stock to be let into...  The tang is nearly done - just have to thread it to fit the action.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2023 at 1:39am
Print Post  
GT wrote on Aug 19th, 2023 at 6:50pm:
Frank,
There is a group on one of the other forums that has something semi organized.  I have a small group that gets together and does a little bit, then there's always a side match at one of the monthly Pro series match that goes to an extreme distance.  So far we haven't come up with any limitations and we tossed out the time constraints last match, just had to be reasonable - can't wait for conditions, it be after dark if we did that.  You're thinking of breech seating?
We're trying to organize a match of various configurations over Labor Day.  Maybe start something...

Yes, breach seating has all kinds of advantages.

1. Even if you use the max sporting chamber length (.775), you get a lot more case capacity than any fixed ammo can have. If no chamber rule, you can create a chamber of enough capacity to shoot 70 gr bullets.

2. The bullet will always start concentric.

3. You can change power charges at the range, if needed.

But, if it had to be fixed std chamber, you could "load out" meaning could use a spacer to both go inside the case and glue it to the base of the bullet.

I've shot BSed 22rf since '86 and had great success at my local matches and a 200 yd informal match at Spokane, against the best rf in the Nation. 2nd place, the very first time I shot at 200.

This with a purpose built 44 Stevens, 14 twist, .775 chamber, 53 gr bullet, with dual firing pins.

The cases and/or the priming compound, are the only draw back. 

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2023 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Looking forward to your Worn build Ballard project Greg. I've always been a little put off by Hubalek's Worn builds with all the porosity those castings had, so nice to see how well made Rodney's castings are.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 9:40am
Print Post  
It's been a little while since my last chance to work on this project, a couple of early mornings and late nights show a little progress.   
First a side by side comparison of the Worn hammerless compared to the version we designed and cobbled.  A few things similar but a lot different.  Next pic of the Worn's guts in place- screws aren't slotted yet, all the motions move as intended.
The action getting reference lines scratched on the exterior for setting up to cut it's innards.  Finally, the recoil surface getting cleaned up along with most of the square corners.  A few hours left now of work with a file and stone making the insides smooth and pretty.
Nivins

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint