Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scrapers for Woodwork (Read 520 times)
Chris W

Scrapers for Woodwork
Apr 2nd, 2024 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
I'm looking for ideals for making scrapers for doing stock work. Getting down into the inletted areas for tangs and sidelocks and such. Been using my wood chisels which work to a point but not ideal. Like to see what some of you DIYers have come up with that work well for you.

IP Logged

Chris W

Re: Scrapers for Woodwork
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Watched some Youtube videos where they were making scrapers out of old hand saw blades. Hadn't thought of that but I have one I know of thats just a wall hanger that I can make a couple out of. If there is anything else you guys may use I'd like to hear it. My biggest problem is getting into rounded inlet areas like where the tang ends at or the back of a lockplate like pictured.

IP Logged

silver

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Since a scraper works off of the curled edge on the steel when sharpened,
Not sure how that is going to work on an inside radius corner. 
Maybe someone has something I don’t know about. Not like it’s never happen before

IP Logged

Chris W

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
I could probably use a wood dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it but afraid of taking to much, scraping seems to be more precise in removing the black marks where its touching the wood.

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
At one time Hack Saw Blades were made of Real Steel, not a narrow Hard Edge welded into a Soft Backing.  Look for "All Hard" on the Blade.  I don't rely on a Burr Edge but rather a Square Edge along the style of a Machinist Scrapper for fitting parts.  Round inside areas are a challenge.  Think about a shape like a Engine Valve and scraping Vertical.  Good luck 👍

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Chris,
There are lots of options for scrapers, I generally use A2 or O1 flat stock, 1/16"x3/4" or 1"  - as for getting in the tang area - somewhere I have a couple crooked or bent pieces that I matched or just slightly smaller than the end of the tang and I'm able to push down vertically.   Keep them sharp and they scrape nice, dull and it's a battle.  The big flat ones under the little ones in the pile are made from 1/32" x 3" flat stock, different contours and they smooth out a large surface on a stock and forend quickly, if they're sharp, they'll clip whiskers cleaner than paper. 
GT

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Sorry can’t help with dyi scrapers, have a drawer full I don’t use.  I won’t say never, but usually shy away from scrapers when inletting a tang.  If I do use one, it is at the end of the process and will just use a small carving tool to scrape with so I can concentrate only on the areas needing to be removed.  The radiused at the end of the tang is very easy to fit using carving gouges with different radius’s. With a very sharp tool you can remove really tiny mounts.  The biggest challenge of inletting tangs is the wood grain and getting the fit of the stock head at the same time as the end of the tang, and in some case both top and bottom tangs at the same time as the head.  For a side lock plate I would only use a scraper to finish the bottom of the plate mortice.  And the scraper is usually the carving tool I have in my hand.  A #1-5mm straight, Pheil carving tool make a wonderful scraper. Smiley
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
My best scrapers were made from garage sale screwdrivers, forged to about an 80 degree bend, forged flat and shaped on a belt sander.  After shaping, I heat the working end to red hot and quench in oil, polish and draw the temper to a light straw color.  Stone or lightly belt sand the cutting edges to get a burr on the inside face. You can shape the cutting surface to be able to scrape on the sides as well as the bottom of the tool, get a radius on the bottom for round barrels, etc.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Chris W

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 8:45am
Print Post  
GT looks like you do a bit of woodwork, i should of explained better, stocks i'm currently working on are already inletted for final fitting, just needing to scrape for final fitting of part. Also needed to remove more of the radius at end of tang so front face would match up even with no gaps! No gaps is the key word there, getting a 74 sharps stock to match up with all radius's and flat surfaces with no gaps and allowing the lock plate to fit nice and tight is a trial of patience, forcing myself to go slow and not remove to much at one time is a chore for me. Slowly getting there and just waiting on lower straight trigger tang and buttplate to show up from Shiloh so I can get it fitted. I have one more to do after this one hence I was looking for some other options for scrapers. Hadn't thought of the old screw drivers, thats a great ideal to, going to have to pay a visit to the pawn shop I usually  get tools at.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 11:43am
Print Post  
In those areas you speak of I use gouges a bit smaller than the radius you want. They need to be razor sharp, I can’t emphasize sharpness enough, that is the only way you can get the shavings thin enough. Don’t work at your usual pace in these areas, force yourself to slow down, you need to be in a comfortable position to do this precise kind of work. Choke up on your gouge, by that I mean use your thumb and index and middle fingers placed close to the gouge’s edge, this way you will have much more control over the tool. Use magnification if you can. Don’t use sand paper. Having a few, 4-6 degrees of draft help on the metal helps. On using smoke or Prussian blue oil paint to mark the high spots, use just a very thin coat on the metal too much will give you a false reading and results in one taking of too much wood.
Good luck
Richard

IP Logged

SBertram

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
I use gouges sharpened with the bevel on the inside for inletting the kind of radius that appears at the back of lockplates.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint