Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tang "bending" (Read 517 times)
jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Tang "bending"
Mar 26th, 2024 at 8:36am
Print Post  
In my recent Hepburn restocking effort (I did the best I could) I found the lower tang fit a bit looser than I would like. The length and width were ok but the depth was a bit deeper than it probably should be and I hate fillers so I went with it. When you tighten it you can see the lower tang bending slightly but due to the length I wasn't too concerned. How much is too much and should I use a shim or filler to correct it. It is a 32/40 Hepburn so the recoil isn't too bad impacting the stock and it fits well up around the receiver. I don't have a lot of experience doing pistol grip stocks.

JMH

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Tang "bending"
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
I would bed it, you can go wrong doing this.  Inletting a lower tang to a pistol grip can be frustrating on some wood, because you are working directly into grain, usually running the wrong way for easy inletting.  Not always, but most of the time, I will bed the lower tang of a pistol grip just so it has a nice solid foundation to anchor it, with an added benefit of a sealed end grain
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
I agree with Bob, bed it. Remove some more wood so the bedding compound is not too thin. Wax the metal and screw and don’t tighten the screw down, this way the tang will be in its normal position with no strain on the tang.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Bedding is good for small gaps, but sometimes I've had to use thin layers of hardwood under tangs to built them up if the gap was too great. I've gotten them as close as possible, and then bedding compound over the laminate of wood to finish.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 10:48am
Print Post  
I would consider the addition of a steel sleeve or liner for the tang screw like those seen on older military bolt action rifles. Cut the sleeve to the appropriate length then bore the tang screw hole a bit oversize so the sleeve will drop in. Use bedding compound to secure the sleeve in the stock and create good supporting contact for the tang. I like acra-glas gel for projects like this since it can be colored to match the surrounding wood.

Once the bedding is dried make sure you run a drill bit through the sleeve to prevent and loading on the tang screw. I'm sure you already knew to make sure the screw and the inside of the sleeve are well coated with mould release when you bed the tang so you can get them back apart later  Smiley

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Hadn't considered it but it is a good idea...

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint