Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Unusual Stevens tip up (Read 507 times)
Steamtractor
Participating Member

Unusual Stevens tip up
Apr 4th, 2024 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
I just stumbled on this one a few days ago- it's pretty rare according to Tom Rowe's new Stevens book. The auction house didn't know what they had, it was described as a lady's model, but I knew different when I saw the stock! 
It's in excellent shape, mechanical and otherwise and a bit unusual in that it was never nickel plated. Instead it sports the blued finish found on some late tip up rifles and shotguns.
Unfortunately, someone long ago installed a Bullard rifle butt plate on the stock. I have both the crescent and swiss style Stevens butt plates in my parts stash, I could put either on it to be correct. Of course I would have to reshape the stock and affect the old finish, which I am reluctant to do... What would you guys do, leave it alone or redo it?
It's very interesting to me, the way the bottom tang is inlet into the stock beneath the pistol grip.
I think my pistol grip Maynard is done that way (I haven't looked at it in several years).
I believe I read someplace that Stevens bought and absorbed Maynard along the way, I wonder if that's how they came to dabble in making a few tip ups like this?

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: Unusual Stevens tip up
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Nice looking rifle. Leave it as is. The fact that it has a rear sight more than likely means it started as either a No.7 or No.8 Premier rifle. It could have very well been a No.13 or 14 Ladies model too. What is the caliber and width of the barrel at the frame flats?

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Very nice find! What caliber, .22LR? Is there a model # stamped on it? I would look under the forearm for anything stamped on it. Looking in the Stevens catalog reprints, you could special order a tip up with a pistol grip stock for an extra $10-$12, or possibly more depending on the grade of wood or checkering. In James Grant's Boy's Single Shot book, he discusses pistol grip Stevens tip ups a bit.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
That buttplate would bother me too. You might consider fitting a repro Stevens Elk head buttplate or a  Stevens "S" buttplate depending on what would fit better. You won't have to touch the finish on the stock this way.

IP Logged

Steamtractor
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys I dug out Grants book, found the info pg 403-408 very interesting. I would guess this is the high end checkering it’s done with two different size diamonds. The barrel is marked 22 short or long rifle, and is 0.885” wide.
I compared it to my “real” ladies rifles, they are much more slender frames and barrels are 0.767” wide.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Hmm, my two tip up barrels measure around .985" at the breech, one is a .22LR the other a .25-21.

IP Logged

Steamtractor
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 7:26am
Print Post  
I'll check it again, maybe I mis-read the caliper. Seems like I am more prone to goofing up than I used to be.
Anyway, the frame and barrel are noticeably larger than the ladies rifles even by eyeball measure

IP Logged

ADK22
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Nice looking rifle

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Here's a picture of Annie Oakley with a pistol grip Stevens tip up with what appears to be a shotgun buttplate.

IP Logged

Steamtractor
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
REAL Cool- thanks for showing me that! I think I’ll leave mine like it is (like hers)…only difference is the nickel plate.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint