Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard .38-55 (Read 1252 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: Ballard .38-55
Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2024 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Take this with a grain of salt as I don't shoot competition but have learned quite a bit about shooting cast bullets in old rifles the last 5 or 6 years.  I assume that you are just shooting at the range so this is my approach to reloading.  First and foremost, do a chamber cast which sounds terrifying but is actually quite easy I found.  This allows you to see how much freebore you have and what the length and diameter of the freebore is.  I want my bullets to be at least freebore diameter.  I also want the bullet to be about the same diameter as the inside diameter of the fired case.  I use Accurate Moulds as my source as you can pick a bullet near what you need out of the catalog and then modify the dimensions and Tom will build it to your specifications.  I also like a bore riding bullet but I don't shoot much black so not sure how that works.  My 38/56 Roller with a long bore riding bullet shoots moa at 100 yards with smokeless.  If the bullet as cast is the proper diameter I pan lube and never look back.  If needed, I size after pan lubing so I don't collapse the lube grooves.  Now if the stars align, I can load my powder, add a wad and compress do the desired seating depth.  The bullet will be slipped into the case and might need to be seated with a die but I never resize the case.  I sometimes need to use a custom expander die from Buffalo Arms to open the brass if the bullet is too tight.  If so, I then set the seater for a very light crimp to make sure that the loaded case will chamber.  Being lazy, I always use a duplex load to help with my fouling.  My Ballard Pacific in 40-85 will shoot quite a few rounds with 6 grains of 5744 and the rest Old Ensford 3fffg.  Cleaning the bore is a snap but cleaning the brass is a major pain.  That is why I shoot smokeless in my HiWall and Rolling Blocks!  My Ballard shoots patterns with smokeless loads but shoots great with 3fffg.  Good luck.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Re: Ballard .38-55
Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 8:44am
Print Post  
I would definitely try a LDPE wad for your load. I’d bet a doughnut that you are getting flame cutting with the wad you are shooting.
Good luck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint