Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .32 Long Colt shenanigans (Read 250 times)
gnoahhh
Oldtimer

.32 Long Colt shenanigans
Apr 15th, 2024 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
In my quest to shoot a .32 Long rimfire Stevens 44 I resorted to making .32 Long Colt brass out of .32 S&W Longs (after swapping out the breech block for a CF one).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Please ignore the glare from the camera flash.

Left to right: Starline .32 S&W Long case; .25-20 Single Shot seater die for the initial squeeze; homemade swaging die to take it the rest of the way down to desired diameter based on chamber cast dimensions; final swaged case, with "squeeze belt" of excess material ahead of rim; .32 Colt case after a trip through the Unimat to remove the belt; final loaded round.

Heeled bullets dimensioned for simple thumb seating. No loading dies for this puppy.

I left the brass longer than "normal" .32RF brass as it chambers just fine, and it's long enough to firmly seat the soft bullet into the rifling right down to the bottom of the driving band with the camming action of the Stevens 44 breech block. (I gotta make sure that extracting an unfired round isn't in the offing - the bullet will remain in the throat. Better take a rod along when shooting it.)

With 1.5-2.0 grains Bullseye it's not a 200 yard 25-ring chewer upper, but empty beer cans in the backyard are in trouble. Initial testing was gratifying (thanks cdog!), now to make a hat full of them.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .32 Long Colt shenanigans
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 1:28am
Print Post  
after you get a bunch of brass made and it all figured out you can just send the rifle out to the west coast for a little bit and I will take care of it for you...
I wouldn't do that for just anybody.

The heeled bullet in the picture,What design / maker is that?

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 5:52am
Print Post  
Nice work. I love the 32s. That is quite similar to the .32 Ballard extra long, the centerfire equivalent of .32 extra long rimfire. I've found it to be a very accurate heel bullet  cartridge.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Apr 16th, 2024 at 1:28am:
after you get a bunch of brass made and it all figured out you can just send the rifle out to the west coast for a little bit and I will take care of it for you...
I wouldn't do that for just anybody.

The heeled bullet in the picture,What design / maker is that?

Lyman/Ideal 299153. Major diameter is good, heel diameter too fat by .006". I had to reduce that diameter on the bullets in my Unimat - a bit tiresome, but a new semi-custom mold is on its way from Accurate.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 8:50am
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Apr 16th, 2024 at 5:52am:
Nice work. I love the 32s. That is quite similar to the .32 Ballard extra long, the centerfire equivalent of .32 extra long rimfire. I've found it to be a very accurate heel bullet  cartridge.

Thumb seated, or dies + crimping involved? Nice shooting!

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 8:58am
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Apr 16th, 2024 at 8:50am:
ndnchf wrote on Apr 16th, 2024 at 5:52am:

Thumb seated, or dies + crimping involved? Nice shooting!

Thumb seated. Case mouths inside reamed to .299" to accept standard 32 heel bullets.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint