Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic RCBS Summit press? (Read 608 times)
SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

RCBS Summit press?
Apr 1st, 2024 at 5:07am
Print Post  
I really don't need another press.......

Been thinking I like the idea of the stationary case, moving die. Instead of guiding the bullet on top of the case as it moves up into the die you would just position it on the case mouth and then lower the die to seat the bullet.

Anyone using one?

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

rifleman

Re: RCBS Summit press?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 9:02am
Print Post  
I use one with a universal decapping die so it keeps all the grit off my Rockchuckers and their rams. I have also used it with arbor press accessory plate to essentially ‘fingerseat’ flat nosed bullets in 44/40 and 38/40 cases for some Marlin 1889s. 

It is a handy press but I wouldnt want it to be my only press.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 10:35am
Print Post  
A quick search of problems for the Summit press might tell you what you want to know.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
thanks for the link to that video. you probably saved folks here from spending thousands of dollars on another dubious gadget. I buy, and  use, a goodly amount of RCBS equipment. That won't be one of them.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
From my perspective, the best use would be to save bench space if your loading bench would benefit. I have no personal experience with it, but have friends who have one, and to my knowledge have not experienced the problems mentioned above. Perhaps just luck of the draw, but RCBS has had a long history of very successful  products, due in part to listening to their customers.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

jimh

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
I have one of the Red, White and Blue version. It works fine BUT the problem I had was my shoulder. I have a hard time lifting my arm higher than my shoulder. If you have any kind of shoulder issues, try to find one to try first. The head of the press is dead weight. I thought it would be a modern Hollywood Senior, it's not.

IP Logged

JHand
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
I am curious about the style of the die moving, but I think I settled on the Forster co-ax. I am using a beat up rockchucker at the moment. When I get spare cash and they have a blemished one in stock I'll probably nab one. Unfortunately those 2 things usually don't line up...

IP Logged

yort
Participating Member

Reply #7 - yesterday at 10:56pm
Print Post  
For what it’s worth, I’ve been using a Summit for years and probably wouldn’t go back to an “O” frame. Priming is an issue for sure, but I’ve used a Forster priming tool for a long time (great tool by the way).

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Today at 4:10am
Print Post  
I currently have three other presses; a Dillon 550 (mostly used for 308 in the past), an RCBS Jr set-up for decapping only and an RCBS Ammo Master that is used for sizing and loading almost everything these days. For my use I envision the Summit Press for seating bullets only. I prime with an RCBS 9460 bench mounted primer tool so the priming issues with the Summit are not an issue for me. But..... do I need a Summit for seating bullets?

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Today at 10:23am
Print Post  
I don't think one system/press has a distinct advantage over the other in terms of bullet seating. It doesn't matter if the cartridge is raised into the die or the die is lowered onto the cartridge. What matters is how straight the bullet is guided into the case, and if due consideration is given to that (and proper dies) then all's well.

For perfectly straight line seating I feel there's still no better way (albeit slow) than to use a simple die whose chamber conforms perfectly with the case that's receiving the bullet and which boasts a bore on top of and perfectly in line with said chamber that is the exact diameter of the bullet that guides the bullet straight into the case mouth and in turn pushes the bullet in with a plunger that also matches the bore of the die and whose nose matches the nose of the bullet. Ie: the old fashioned L.E.Wilson straight line seater utilized in a small arbor press, and others of that ilk.

At the end of the day a good cartridge straightness comparator is the final arbiter of what system works best for you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint