Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .25 Stevens Long RF questions (Read 851 times)
Clint
Participating Member

.25 Stevens Long RF questions
May 4th, 2024 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Howdy gents,
I have a Stevens 44 in .25 Stevens Long rf that I am resurrecting that was left to me by my father. I have read the posts regarding how to go about shooting one of these again, and greatly appreciate all the info that has been provided here towards that end. I am going to try the .27 caliber power load cartridges first with H&N .25 Air Rifle slugs that are supplied in the 28 gr. to 46 gr. range. I thought that I would back the slug up with a felt .25 cal. bore cleaning pellet that has been soaked in a Balistol/water of some as of yet undetermined ratio and left for the water to dry, leaving the oil. I plan to use Ramset level 3 Green medium power loads to propel the slugs.
My question is that I have measured my Stevens barrel's twist rate and found it to be between 1:17.5" and 1:18". Applying the Green Hill Formula used by Steve Garbe, it would appear that bullet weights around 35 gr., or less, would be the most appropriate. Just curious why the factory loads featured 65 gr. bullets, which would seem to be under stabilized by an 18" twist, at least according to the formula? Any thoughts on any of this by you fellas?

Along another line, I saw a post in another section of this forum that indicated the availability in Italy of Fiocchi .25 Rim fire loads made in Italy for the humane slaughter of cattle. The metric designation for them is 6.3/12, and they are listed as being power level 'strong', and no bullet weight is given. I wrote to the company in Italy asking for them to consider exporting some of this product to the USA, and I wrote to the USA division of Fiocchi and asked them to consider importing some of this product for those of us that have .25 RFs we'd like to shoot again conveniently. I'd like for all those interested to email them both as well! It's not hard and won't take you too long, their email contact addresses are easy to find! Who knows, maybe it will do some good!! Thanks!

P.S.: Already got a reply from FiocchiUSA, they have no plans to import these rounds at this time!

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Re: .25 Stevens Long RF questions
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2024 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Clint, I am guessing those are blanks for a "bolt" gun. When the gun is fired, the blank expends it's energy against a spring retracted captive bolt that is only allowed to move a few inches. No other projectile than the bolt. Gun is placed against the forehead. Safer than a firearm in a slaughter house.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2024 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I have a 18 twist barrel on a Ballard, in 25/20SS and shoot two bullets in it. A ,510 long, shortened 257420 and a custom, short spitzer, that's .535 long. Both with good accuraty but, not match accuracy. The bullet impacts aren't tipped, they're nice and round.

BTW, the Greenhill Formula, doesn't accurately gauge the twist needed for 200 yrd or less shooting.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2024 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
I shoot a Stevens 25 long RF converted to 25-20 SS
My twist was closer to 16 iirc and I breech seat a bullet similar in length to the 257420 but I can't recall the number on it.My bore is close to .256

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2024 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Air gun bullets are .250 diameter.  Your groove diameter is nominally .257, although some do run a bit small.

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2024 at 2:14am
Print Post  
This says 17 is the rate.

I did some calculations and the 257420, with the GC removed buy reaming, should stabilize in a 17 twist.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2024 at 2:28am by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2024 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Recently found that The Bull Shop will custom pour the NOE 26063 for you.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  Order by email, and prepay.   Superb quality, reasonable pricing.

<div class=

IP Logged

Clint
Participating Member

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2024 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies to my post gents!  All that info helps a lot!
Thanks kootne for the explanation of how a bolt gun worked.  I was going by the fact that on their web page they refer to Rim fire ammo and show an image of what looks to be a .22 LR cartridge next to a much larger, presumably RF, cartridge.

The web site also has a section for 'blank cartridges', which does not show anything in .25 or 6.3/12mm, so my assumption, which is likely wrong, was that these were regular RF cartridges with bullets.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2024 at 8:55am by Clint »  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2024 at 8:52am
Print Post  
A barely relevant factoid is that there used to be a British cartridge known as ".310 cattle killer",  specifically made so as not to fit any other sort of gun, to prevent misuse. 

<div class=

IP Logged

Clint
Participating Member

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2024 at 9:23am
Print Post  
uscra112, I have the same .25 RF cartridge drawing you posted, and going by its indicated dimensions, figuring by known proportions, the presumably 65 gr. bullet illustrated, is about .63 inches long.  This seems pretty long to stabilize in a 1:17 or 1:18 inch twist barrel unless the low velocity has more to do with it than I thought.
Also, the '.310 cattle killer' you mentioned, would you know if it is a blank or a complete cartridge?  Thanks!

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2024 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Clint wrote on May 5th, 2024 at 8:45am:
Thanks for the replies to my post gents!  All that info helps a lot!
Thanks kootne for the explanation of how a bolt gun worked.  I was going by the fact that on their web page they refer to Rim fire ammo and show an image of what looks to be a .22 LR cartridge next to a much larger, presumably RF, cartridge.

The web site also has a section for 'blank cartridges', which does not show anything in .25 or 6.3/12mm, so my assumption, which is likely wrong, was that these were regular RF cartridges with bullets.

If that Fiochi cartridge actually is 6.3x12 mm, it’s much closer in size to a 25 RF Bacon & Bliss which had a .470” (12mm)case and a .250” bullet (6.2). The Bacon & Bliss was an early revolver cartridge.

The 25 Stevens long case is 1.125” (28.6) with a .257” (6.5mm ) bullet. The short case is .6” (15.2mm)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2024 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Greenhill notwithstanding, the .25 RF with that 65 grain bullet was considered very accurate.  At one time it was common to use it in Stevens break-open single shot pistols for target competition.   

The cattle killer cartridge had a bullet. It's in Barnes somewhere, but just now I can't put my finger on it.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

<div class=

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2024 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Clint wrote on May 5th, 2024 at 9:23am:
uscra112, I have the same .25 RF cartridge drawing you posted, and going by its indicated dimensions, figuring by known proportions, the presumably 65 gr. bullet illustrated, is about .63 inches long.  This seems pretty long to stabilize in a 1:17 or 1:18 inch twist barrel unless the low velocity has more to do with it than I thought.
Also, the '.310 cattle killer' you mentioned, would you know if it is a blank or a complete cartridge?  Thanks!

The 25 Stevens is a 1/17 twist and uses a 65 grain bullet. There has been an incorrect .251” bullet lie going around for years.

Rifle twists or measurements using a cleaning rod vary some so coming up with any thing between 16-18 is possible. Manufacturers other than Stevens might have used other twists. I think the Remington 25-10 is one for sure.

The original 65 grain bullet is .535” and has a cupped base. I shoot a 69 grain bullet that is .578” flat base using converted 17WSM brass.   

I have disassembled a few original cartridges and chronograghed others. The numbers on the box, match very closely considering some of the ammo I saw over 100 years old.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 5th, 2024 at 10:27am
Print Post  
The .251 lie stems from Barnes, and has been replicated in Wikipedia, which has led to arguments on the Innertubes.  I once planned to correct the Wiki article but found you need to have an associate's degree in computer science to do it.   If one of you young'uns care to take a crack at it, I will send you my draft.

<div class=

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 5th, 2024 at 10:39am
Print Post  
I keep meaning to post this. 
Someone selling “new 25 rimfire” on gun broker. Converted 17 WSM.
Definitely not mine, and I have no idea who he is. Maybe someone here does?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint