Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A cute little Ballard (Read 3973 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: A cute little Ballard
Reply #45 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Even the fairly powerful rare earth magnets might not hold a palm rest with the staff length they have. It would be sad to discover they wouldn't while firing, and possibly damage the rifle if it fell off.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I meant the clamp that goes entirely around the barrel and wood and is removeable to keep from having to drill a stock or barrel. You know, Joe had some cast up and was offering them for guys to buy. I think Jerry Hartwig bought one and finished it up. Anyhow, it would clamp the whole sheebang together and just look like a partial accessory.
I do possess a pair of magnets that would do the job of holding a forearm. We used them in safety switches on ski lifts. I laugh at folks who try to separate them with their fingers. I already warned them of the danger of blood blisters when they pop back together with some finger still in the space! Powerful little buggers. Wish I had a dozen more.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #47 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Mar 30th, 2024 at 2:33pm:
I meant the clamp that goes entirely around the barrel and wood and is removeable to keep from having to drill a stock or barrel. You know, Joe had some cast up and was offering them for guys to buy. I think Jerry Hartwig bought one and finished it up. Anyhow, it would clamp the whole sheebang together and just look like a partial accessory.
I do possess a pair of magnets that would do the job of holding a forearm. We used them in safety switches on ski lifts. I laugh at folks who try to separate them with their fingers. I already warned them of the danger of blood blisters when they pop back together with some finger still in the space! Powerful little buggers. Wish I had a dozen more.

But are they small enough to fit inside a forearm? I think any small enough to fit inside a forearm wont have much holding power.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
well, it would be pretty thin wood when you got done. might rupture the wood when you tried to remove the forestock. nothing's perfect. What I want to ask about this rifle is: why the worry about modifying it with a screw hole? Its already not even a Ballard barrel, and that's a far bigger modification than a screw hole.

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #49 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
I will probably end up using a screw. The magnets were just an idea I had. Screwing a forearm to the barrel certainly isnt going to effect value. The gun just has a look about it like its been this way for a very long time and was built just the way the guy wanted it. Guess its time for me to make it the way I want it.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Mar 31st, 2024 at 8:30am
Print Post  
I'd have to agree with that. Now, get out your pocket knife and start whittlin' that chunk of lumber out in the barn, aging since the turn of the century. Ought to be ready.

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #51 - Mar 31st, 2024 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Rifleman,

An easily accomplished and entirely reversible (with no permanent alteration) mounting method would be to apply a few bands of silicone seal in the barrel channel to semi-permanently bond the forearm to the barrel.

I'd recommend sealing the wood first and using minimal silicone as an adhesive, so you could pull it apart if the urge arose.

Watcha got to lose?

Hayface
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2024 at 10:06am by Hayface »  

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #52 - Apr 12th, 2024 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Perfect shooting conditions this morning. 50 yards off the bench with CCI SV 22LR Christmas 2016 lot. Best I can do. Tried my offhand on paper too, got some work to do in that respect.

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #53 - Apr 12th, 2024 at 2:01pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint