Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 anomaly (Read 1152 times)
gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Stevens 44 anomaly
Mar 4th, 2024 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
I have a 44 in centerfire in which I decided to make a home for a new set of replacement action pins, and a nifty centerfire breechblock I got from Lee Shaver. Lo and behold the pins in the action aren't pins, rather one piece screws. Was this a design change initiated by Stevens or perhaps an aftermarket customization?

Kind of a moot point as the new breechblock isn't milled out between the front "ears" of the block, with only a narrow slot for the extractor to reach up through. Obviously a stronger design (especially since the vertical face of the block segues into the front horizontal flat with a radiused fillet instead of a sharp corner) but unfortunately unusable in this application without conducting some milling on my part to accommodate my extractor. I suspect it too is a custom thing cooked up by the smith who did the conversion.

(The rifle with its pristine bore was re-chambered from .22LR to .22WCF and firing pin altered to CF. It breeches up tightly, and shoots very well with namby-pamby cast loads made with .22 Hornet dies - I suspect the .22WCF nomenclature was intended to prevent dumb elbows from feeding it a diet of factory Hornet ammo. It doesn't need the above described parts changeout, I just wanted to gussy it up a bit.)

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens 44 anomaly
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2024 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
The early model 44's had screws for the breech block and lever. uscra112 can give you the serial number range when Stevens changed over to the pins. Does the converted original breech block have the side or 7 o'clock extractor?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2024 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
6 o'clock extractor.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2024 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
If it has the screw pivots, it will have the side extractor.  There is a narrow range where side extractors existed simultaneously with "bolt" pivots.  (s/n 14766 is the earliest, 16081 latest.)  Your center-extractor breechblock will require milling the centered extractor slot in the receiver.  The screw pivot receiver can be machined to accept the bolt pivots, which are IMO a good deal stronger.  

The central-extractor design has a "hidden feature" about it.   As the breechblock starts to open, the front of the slot in it cams the extractor back a few thou.  The only single-shot I know of that has primary extraction, like Mauser-pattern bolt actions do.  Unless there's strong reason to preserve originality, the conversion is worthwhile.  

Central extractors were extremely thin on the ground six months ago when I sold my last spare to a guy in San Diego.  Maybe by now somebody will have made a batch.  

All I know.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2024 at 8:56pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2024 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Curiouser and curiouser, Phil. Central extractor (6 o'clock), screw pivots. Pics to show it, and serial number.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Well that's another "Huh"?  Not unique, however there's one with screws and 6 o'clock extractor at 12920 in Chris Stroner's collection, and another at 13853 which was a Gunbroker listing, surrounded by a couple dozen with screws and side extractor.  

If yours was converted, you'll be able to see the residue of the side extractor slot in the receiver if you back the barrel out.  Would be interesting to know.  If there's no side slot, I can only guess that it was "lost" at the factory for a year or more, then sent through the machining process that cut the slot.

As I said, it's conversion that a smart 'smith would have done if he had the wherewithal when he fitted the barrel up.  The barrel would have to have been set back a couple of turns to obliterate the side slot in it.  Any evidence of that?  If not, I've got another hypothesis, (to paraphrase Grouch Marx...)
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2024 at 12:57am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Well I was curious about this so I looked in my reprint Stevens #50 c1902 catalog. Apparently Stevens did make rifles with a center extractor using breech block and lever screws a short time before they switched to the pins. See part #13C and #14A.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 9:02am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 5th, 2024 at 12:52am:

If yours was converted, you'll be able to see the residue of the side extractor slot in the receiver if you back the barrel out.  Would be interesting to know.  If there's no side slot, I can only guess that it was "lost" at the factory for a year or more, then sent through the machining process that cut the slot.

Nope, no evidence of that at all.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Mar 5th, 2024 at 8:06am:
Well I was curious about this so I looked in my reprint Stevens #50 c1902 catalog. Apparently Stevens did make rifles with a center extractor using breech block and lever screws a short time before they switched to the pins. See part #13C and #14A.

If they did, I haven't seen any, except for this one and Chris Stroner's which fall at serial numbers well before the range where standard issue was side extractor and bolts, which runs from 14768 to 16801 and includes 17 observed specimens, (so far).   

Prototypes that escaped?  Possibly they did a few but the tooling wasn't right, and it took nearly a year to sort it out?   

As far as I can see there would not be any difference between a screw for the side extractor and one for a center extractor.  Diameter (.288") and OAL would be the same.   

I misidentified s/n 13853 as being in this family, but it has the central extractor and bolts, at a number well before either feature became standard issue.  A close look at my pic of the open breech face seems to show the side extractor slot, and I want to assume it is a conversion. 

All very curious indeed.   

<div class=

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 12:53pm
Print Post  

I misidentified s/n 13853 as being in this family, but it has the central extractor and bolts, at a number well before either feature became standard issue.  A close look at my pic of the open breech face seems to show the side extractor slot, and I want to assume it is a conversion. 

All very curious indeed.  
[/quote]

Phil, if you're referring to my pic that's a shadow or dirt or something there on the frame. It's solid and unmolested.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
No, I was referring to this one.  I've snipped this out of a much larger photo received from the GB seller, so the resolution isn't all it might be.  Gun was listed as a .22 LR.

<div class=

IP Logged

Andover Arms
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Phil, I pulled 12920 out after reading this post. I must have given you bad info as 12920 has a 7 O'Clock extractor if you want to update your survey. I also have some more numbers to add which I'll email to you.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Well, that makes Gary's entirely unique, so far as my log goes.!

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Gary, your oddball doesn't by any chance have set triggers does it?

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 11:22am
Print Post  
No, no set triggers Phil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint