Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need a good gunsmith in Onslow County NC (Read 444 times)
Ivar
Participating Member

Need a good gunsmith in Onslow County NC
Mar 5th, 2024 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I have a few Shilohs and C Sharps rifles that I'd like to have t/d's for Lyman STS and MVA sights.  I'd like to find a gunsmith that is familiar with these scope requirements since you only have one shot at it to do it right.   
Does anyone know of a reliable gunsmith with 50 miles of Onslow County, NC?  I've been given a few names locally, but they're not BPCR or single shot gunsmiths.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Need a good gunsmith in Onslow County NC
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Any good gunsmith who can D&T for scope mounts can do so for a BPCR rifle. Only thing that might differ is the spacing they'd use on modern rifles vs. the spacing for centers on target style bases. As long as you provide the gunsmith with the bases you'll use, and tell them you need the bases to be 7.2" apart at centers, they shouldn't have an issue.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ivar
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
I understand that, but one of the places I called and asked about doing it, the guy didn't even know what a Shiloh was.  Don't think that I want to just drop it off at Bubba's Gun Emporium.

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Find one that specializes in metal work. Give him exact, I mean, exact, instructions. They are not mind readers. 
If you are confident your instructions can be followed, give that person the job to do.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Ivar wrote on Mar 5th, 2024 at 8:07pm:

I understand that, but one of the places I called and asked about doing it, the guy didn't even know what a Shiloh was.  Don't think that I want to just drop it off at Bubba's Gun Emporium. 

I get it.a local guy was passing himself as a custom  gunsmith barreling long target rifles.my buddy said all he had for machinery was a cheap  import  mill drill and was ordering short chambered barrels from Shaw and renting reamers and hand cutting them.He just used factory loads to set headspace! He lasted 3 years before his Handi work came back to bite him in the rear end.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Ivar wrote on Mar 5th, 2024 at 8:07pm:

That's why you wouldn't want to take it to someone who isn't a real gunsmith. But not knowing what a Shiloh Sharps is doesn't mean the gunsmith hasn't successfully D&T barrels or receivers for scopes. I'd ask if they do a lot of D&T for scopes, not whether they know of a particular brand of gun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 10:07am
Print Post  
My success in getting barrels drilled and tapped are with machine shops, the more experienced the better. Very few gunsmiths are as experienced at D&T as a machine operator.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
If you don’t mind a drive to Durham, give Bill Graham a call.  His shop is called Nice Old Doubles and he does specializes in Double guns, but does do scope mounting.  I’ve had him do thing I can’t do on doubles and find him very helpful.  He also has a very good reputation with the double gun people.  Today I ask him if he can do work like this, he said yes, but has not done anything with these specific guns.  He would just need the details like position of holes, distance apart and screw sizes.  Phone 919-270-3014, email info@niceolddouble.com, He also has a facebook pages.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint