Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MVA or DZ Scope (Read 3764 times)
Ivar
Participating Member

Re: MVA or DZ Scope
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I'm looking at the Malcomb 20X too, it seems to generate some good reviews.
I've looked at some Unertls on Ebay and was wondering what a decent price on a 15x or higher might be as opposed to the prices I see there.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Ivar wrote on Feb 18th, 2024 at 5:15pm:
I'm looking at the Malcomb 20X too, it seems to generate some good reviews.
I've looked at some Unertls on Ebay and was wondering what a decent price on a 15x or higher might be as opposed to the prices I see there.

Unertls seem to run around $700-$800 for a 15x, and on occasion I've seen them down around $600-$650, but not too often these days.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ivar
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
What would a Unertl 20X scope run for?

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Ivar wrote on Feb 18th, 2024 at 9:02pm:
What would a Unertl 20X scope run for?

750-900  for 1.25
Big programmers $1400  and up.( like sometimes over 2k if bidders are drunk)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 12:52am
Print Post  
I have seen very few high power, 30,32,36x programmer scopes sell for less than $2000 on ebay, drunk or sober. Some for considerably more. Prices are higher of late!! Worthwhile checking large and or less known auction houses for scopes. Lyman Super Targetspot scopes can be found for less, and are wonderful scopes, and look more at home on a nice old single shot rifle. In my humble opinion. Regardless of make, the higher powers command higher prices.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 5:00am
Print Post  
I like the more traditional look of the MVA "B" with the black knobs...

FWIW I think in-line muzzle loaders are a sin, just call me a Luddite.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 9:34am
Print Post  
The Feckers and Targetspots are always more bang for the buck than Unertl. I own one very early first year Unertl, and the rest are the other two, plus some small rare maker's scopes like Souther, Sidle, Malcom.
Bought a like new in the box first year Lyman Targetspot 10x for $500, and a friend offered me a 16x Fecker for $600, but not sure I'll take it. I have a spare 15x Fecker that I haven't figured what it goes on yet, plus some other spares, so not sure about the 16x?

IP Logged

Oldbee

Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Feb 16th, 2024 at 1:52pm:
Oldbee, How far are you planning on shooting that combination? You may find that you can't shoot much farther than 250 to 300 yd unless you raise the rear of the scope up by increasing the height of the rear block.  DZ scope mounts offer much higher elevation in the rear mount which makes them work well for the longer distances
whereas the Unertl and Lyman mounts are limited with the amount of elevation they have for long distance shooting.

Old-Win the ranges I presently shoot at only have 300 yds max.
But thank you for your informative info.  I kind of knew that but to be honest I did not think about it, I guess because of the range limitations I have presently.

Seabee's, Danang, Chu Lai, Khe Sanh, 1966 -1968

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 19th, 2024 at 9:34am:
The Feckers and Targetspots are always more bang for the buck than Unertl. I own one very early first year Unertl, and the rest are the other two, plus some small rare maker's scopes like Souther, Sidle, Malcom.
Bought a like new in the box first year Lyman Targetspot 10x for $500, and a friend offered me a 16x Fecker for $600, but not sure I'll take it. I have a spare 15x Fecker that I haven't figured what it goes on yet, plus some other spares, so not sure about the 16x?

Vall, how are you gauging the magnification on the Feckers?

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
The black "knobs" on Lyman's is one of the reasons I like them so well. Unertl did offer black anodized mounts/knobs, but they are not nearly as common. The earlier Lyman's were blued steel. Fecker scopes are very fine scopes, but all still have bright aluminum mounts, and higher power 16-20+ hard to find, or determine as most are not marked as to power. A lot of if"s, and's or butt's. Choose any of the above, and you will be happy.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Feb 19th, 2024 at 12:11pm:
marlinguy wrote on Feb 19th, 2024 at 9:34am:

Vall, how are you gauging the magnification on the Feckers?

Since I like the Feckers so much I made up a graph to use at 100 yds. with increments marked on it to estimate magnification. I found this on Precision Rifle a decade ago, and made up my chart on construction paper to take to the range.
I've double checked my chart using Lyman or scopes with known magnification to see how close I am and it works well for me.
here's the article from 2014:

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Vall but, it's kinda complicated for me.

In the past, I have aimed a scope at the window blinds and counted the number of blinds I can see in the scope, vs the number that my eye can see, in the approx area of the scopes field of view. Not as accurate but, gives a idea.

I read about calculating it that way (not the blinds but, using brick work), in a old AR.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I would wonder if aiming at bricks or blinds would be accurate unless you could compare two scopes of equal objective size, and features, and known power on one? I'd think that without an equal comparison scope to check against it would only be a guess still?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Vall,
The way it works, is that you count the number blinds or brick rows that the the scope covers (can be vertical or horizontal) then you note the distance the lens covered on that surface with the naked eye. You then count the number of "blinds" that are in that distance, then divide the 2 numbers.

i.e.
In the magnified area, you see 10 blinds and in unmagnified view, that same distance has 100 blinds, it's 10x. The hard part, is determining the distance that the magnified area covers. You need a reference points. I used the top of the blinds, then try to get a good idea of where the bottom of the magnified view is with the naked eye.

I haven't done it but, the way to do that, would be to number the blinds, to know exactly where that point is.

Also, I focus the the scope down, to it's shortest distance so, it only takes in a few of the blinds, to make it easier to pick out my reference points. It will be more problematic with higher powers. I have only done it, in the house, with 4 - 8x scopes.

I don't believe you have to do it at 100 yds and you can do it, at any distance that the scope will focus down to. As a thought, for higher powers, you could set up a tape measure, horizontally. Focus on it, at any convenient distance. Note the last number you can see, with the FOV at the start of the tape, then have someone mark, where the outer edge, of the FOV is, with the naked eye.

Doing it with the blinds wouldn't have the accuracy of the way they do it in the link but, using a tape measure, as I described, I think would. 

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
I'm a bit confused Frank, as with my naked eye I could see all the blinds? Or do I look through some 3/4" tube at the blinds, and then through the scope?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint