Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MVA or DZ Scope (Read 3762 times)
Ivar
Participating Member

MVA or DZ Scope
Feb 14th, 2024 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Hi, I've been lurking around here a bit getting information and enjoying the people at this site.  So, about me as it relates to single shots, I have a few Shilohs and C Sharps in calibers 45-50 to 38-55.  More a target shooter than anything else, I don't complete, but I do like striving for the best shooting I can do.
So, I think this may have been asked before, but between the 23" MVA scope (or Winchster B) and the 20" DZ scope which one do you folks think best suits shooting between 100-200 yards as a target scope?  One that would hold up to 45-70 loads as well.
Thanks, for any input.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Re: MVA or DZ Scope
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
My experiences with two has me siding with DZ Arms although both are equal in quality and performance except in one area. MVA builds their scopes to exact copies of the era whereas DZ builds theirs to extract the best according to the NRA BPCR rules. My money is on the DZ with the POSA mounts.

That said, if I were not shooting matches that require era type scopes and mounts but still wish to use an external adjustment scope I would spend my money on a Unertl with the click adjusters and the POSA mounts; best deal out there, jmho.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2024 at 9:43pm by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

Ivar
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
"That said, if I were not shooting matches that require era type scopes and mounts but still wish to use an external adjustment scope I would spend my money on a Unertl with the click adjusters and the POSA mounts; best deal out there, jmho."

I see you're in NC, I'm in Onslow County.  Are Unertl scopes still being made?

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
I have a few of both MVA & DZ scopes.  I vastly prefer the DZ mounts, but like the reticle of the MVA scopes.

The glass is equally good on both.

In silhouette & BPTR competition I've been using a 23" 6x MVA with DZ mounts and a centerless mil-dot reticule. 

A while back I bought an MVA A series 10x scope.   I will likely put DZ mounts on it and use it for everything but silhouette.

For shooting schuetzen rifles off the bench I like more power.  My favorite is my 20x Lyman STS.

Oh, and I am not as big of a fan of the MVA "B" series scopes.  Only 5 power and on my heavier recoiling rifles, the reticule leveling screw shakes loose and the crosshairs have to be re-leveled.   That one lives on a 38-55 now.  The main things I do like about the "B" series scopes is that they are very light so nice for offhand, and they are a good copy of the originals.

Chris.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2024 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Ivar wrote on Feb 14th, 2024 at 9:57pm:
"That said, if I were not shooting matches that require era type scopes and mounts but still wish to use an external adjustment scope I would spend my money on a Unertl with the click adjusters and the POSA mounts; best deal out there, jmho."

I see you're in NC, I'm in Onslow County.  Are Unertl scopes still being made?   

No new Unertls are on the market but they come up occasionally on this site and Ebay for sale. The later versions with the one inch tube are brighter and a little cheaper dependent on the power range.

I live on the other end of NC near Statesville. If you are ever inclined to shoot short range buffalo gun matches there are three clubs in the area holding such. Come over sometime and enjoy the fun.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2024 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Either the MVA B5 scope in #2 mounts or the DZ will serve your purpose. Both will need the holes drilled on 7.2 inch centers.
You can get finer or thicker cross hairs installed at the time of ordering on the DZ.
The MVA you can change recticles at your discretion.
The DZ is 8 x the MVA is 5x
I own and like both.

IP Logged

Ivar
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2024 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I appreciate all the feedback so far.  I do like the idea of a Unertl scope, but am hesitant to purchase one on Ebay as I don't know if there's problems with them.   I'd buy one here from one of the members with no issue.
Both DZ and MVA scopes offer pluses and minuses for their products, so I'm going to think about I want.  I kind of like the MVA A scope 10X.   
Question, I picked up a Lyman SuperTarget spot 15x with mounts a few years ago at a pawn shop.  Since the crosswire was missing, so I paid $20.00 for it.  I then sent it to Bob Seip who replaced the wire and ensured everything else was satisfactory.  I'd like to use that on a Shiloh 1874 40-65.  Will that scope hold up to that caliber?

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 8:28am
Print Post  
it will hold up fine  art

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I have competed with both. The MVA has much better optics than the DZ but the DZ mounts are much better than the MVA’s.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Unertl scopes are great, but the Lyman you have is also great, and the 15x will be better than the MVA or DZ since you said you're not competing with it anyway. 
Scopes like Fecker, Lyman, or others are all high quality, but usually most sell for less than an Unertl, and are still wonderful scopes. I personally like Fecker scopes over all the others of the same era, and have more of them than other brands.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Val what do you like about the Feckers over the others?  I've never seen one.  I'd really like to find another 20x STS.

Chris.

IP Logged

Oldbee

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Feb 16th, 2024 at 8:28am:
it will hold up fine  art

I am happy to hear that!   
I am having the front scope block on my Shiloh 40-65 moved back to 7.2" and I am going to put a Lyman Super Targetspot 20x on it.
I have not considered the effects on the scope until I read this thread.
I am shooting a 400gr Snover, which the prior owner said shot very well for him.

Seabee's, Danang, Chu Lai, Khe Sanh, 1966 -1968

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Feb 16th, 2024 at 11:41am:
Val what do you like about the Feckers over the others?  I've never seen one.  I'd really like to find another 20x STS.

Chris.

Chris I like the center adjustment for focus. It's so much easier to reach the center focus vs. way out on the objective bell! Plus Fecker is where Unertl worked before he broke away and started his own scope business! Smiley

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Oldbee, How far are you planning on shooting that combination? You may find that you can't shoot much farther than 250 to 300 yd unless you raise the rear of the scope up by increasing the height of the rear block.  DZ scope mounts offer much higher elevation in the rear mount which makes them work well for the longer distances
whereas the Unertl and Lyman mounts are limited with the amount of elevation they have for long distance shooting.

IP Logged

ballard 6

Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2024 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Check out the Unertl 20X 1 1/2" clone from Hi-Lux, also the 1 1/4 Sniper 8X.  Couple of them in our club lately and they are clear and bright with modern coated optics.  Those guys got great military discounts, and mounts have positive clicks, come with bases.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint