Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Haenel single shot (Read 2159 times)
DancesWithCoyotes

Haenel single shot
Feb 6th, 2024 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Hello to all. New here and this is my first post. At a pawn shop I encountered a Haenel single shot in a caliber I wasn’t familiar with. A 8.15x46 R I think. The little reading I’ve done on it says I can fire form cases out of .30-30 cases. They were wanting about $2000 for it and I was hesitant because I’ve already got a Spencer carbine on layaway there, but it interested me and I would like more knowledge on it from anyone here. Thanks

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Haenel single shot
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2024 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Welcome... They are beautiful extremely well made rifles of various calibers. I have had a couple in 22 lr but never a center fire. There are others here who can offer a lot more information than I can but depending on the condition it may be a good purchase.

JMH

IP Logged

KaiserKong
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2024 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Hi! I love my Haenel Aydt. I have a post on it here:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Yes several options for 8.15x46R brass. Find it from RWS, reform it yourself from 30-30 or 32-40 or even sellers on auction sites sell already formed brass. I paid about that price, I thought it was a bit too pricey but I really wanted it.

For info there is a great book series in English Die Alte Scheibenwaffe that describes German Schuetzen rifles. Also feuerbixler.com is a German language website with more details.

Ask away your questions and plenty of folks here happy to answer.
-Dave

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I have several 8.15x46r rifles. If it is a schuetzen rifle, IMR4227 works well. One of the administrators of this website had new brass for sale. Brass can be made from 30-30 with out much trouble. 
Mike

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
$2000 would have to be a very special Haenel Aydt. If it's one of the high grade engraved in excellent shape then it's OK. But if it's not high condition, or a plain model that's a bit high asking price in my opinion.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
DancesWithCoyotes wrote on Feb 6th, 2024 at 8:41pm:
Hello to all. New here and this is my first post. At a pawn shop I encountered a Haenel single shot in a caliber I wasn’t familiar with. A 8.15x46 R I think. The little reading I’ve done on it says I can fire form cases out of .30-30 cases. They were wanting about $2000 for it and I was hesitant because I’ve already got a Spencer carbine on layaway there, but it interested me and I would like more knowledge on it from anyone here. Thanks

Is the rifle in fact an Aydt?

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I’ve bid on a couple of German schuetzen rifles recently, even the plain ones are going high, more than I’ll pay.
Mike

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Here are a few to compare with.
These are original System Aydt rifles (which have an external extractor) and are often plain and without elaborate engraving. They are heavy and rather awkward except for their designed purpose of offhand target shooting. Later Aydts and those by other makers are the same size but have internal extractors. It is important that they come with their original tang sights. Having had several Aydts I have to say that there are other rifles from other systems that I prefer, especially "Martini" ones which may or may not have the strikers of pure Martinis and rifles with true falling blocks. Aydts are often found with very elaborate engraving which the broad flat action sides permit. They are all fun! Good luck.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
When I head to the range, I take a couple of system Concurrenz. Both 8.15x46r, 13gr IMR4227, 172gr stop ring, RWS brass.
Mike

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2024 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Having all the correct sights, and high condition will certainly add value to these rifles. Sights can be found, and Ron Heilman was making some wonderful copies of the rear sights, but they will run around $300 the last I heard, and not sure if he's still doing them or not?

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2024 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 10th, 2024 at 10:57am:
Having all the correct sights, and high condition will certainly add value to these rifles. Sights can be found, and Ron Heilman was making some wonderful copies of the rear sights, but they will run around $300 the last I heard, and not sure if he's still doing them or not?

I always figure at least $300 for original tang sights, and more if the sliding barrel sight is there also.
Mike

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 7:04am
Print Post  
A friend of mine recently mentioned that a lot of these guns in the US have been re-chambered for the 32-40 and one should beware when purchasing a Feuerstutzen in the US.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
SchwartzStock wrote on Feb 13th, 2024 at 7:04am:
A friend of mine recently mentioned that a lot of these guns in the US have been re-chambered for the 32-40 and one should beware when purchasing a Feuerstutzen in the US.

Many different chamberings were tried on these old Schuetzens. I have a System Frohn chambered for the Brit 303 (shoots very well) and a Stiegele martini chambered for 32 Winchester Spcl.
Mike

IP Logged

Oldtimer
Participating Member

Re: Haenel single shot Brass
Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I have RCBS dies and can make brass for once fired 30-30 cases.
8.15x46 is shorter and needs to be trimmed
I can do some if interested
I have 4 German Aydts for sale as well.
Have another rifle that is a 10mm that i do not know anything about. Dads file were lost in the move
amejqc4862@gmail.com

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Many U.S. shooters don't know this, but...

Per the overseas experts in the GGCA (German Gun Collectors Association):

* Unlike U.S. target rifles with a rear tang sight and a front sight -- the "middle" or "barrel sight" of a German Schuetzen rifle "stays on the gun" and the shooter uses the front- and mid-sights to aim the rifle.

* The only purpose of the large rear aperture or peep is to "sharpen the image" of the sight picture.

I had a Zimmerstuetzen once (parlor gun, .177 rimmed) that had all 3 sights on it, and I also had a Buchel Meister which only had the rear tang and front on it -- I should have moved the middle/barrel sight of the parlor gun and onto the other, but I learned the above too late...

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint