Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sharps Pistol Rifle Build (Read 29059 times)
bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Sharps Pistol Rifle Build
Sep 2nd, 2022 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
I have been developing an interest in this rare gun which was made in the 1850's and 60's.  Been studying what I can from internet sources, but that being limited, am looking for more help.  While some don't consider it a very good looking gun, I find it interesting and in the same class as a Remington #7 rolling block since they both were made with variations from a pistol.

There are several variations of the rifle and pistol and I believe they were all breech loading percussion guns.  Variations being in frame modifications, stock attachment and primer feeding patents.  There is also a couple pistol frame sizes, but I am interested in the smaller frame, although from what I understand the parts were basically designed the same, but will not interchange between the two sizes.  Also, apparently after WW1 someone took around 20 rifles, made pistols from them and were very well done, so these are out there and would also help me.  

What I am asking for here, is for anyone that has detailed information on these contact me.  The ideal situation would be if someone that owns one would contact me and be willing to answer detailed question on the gun.  The possibility of disassembling the gun would be really great but not necessary.  Maybe someone has photos of the inside workings and they would be appreciated as well.  I have contacted several folks about the gun that I thought might know where one might be, but so far have had no luck, so was hoping someone here may be able to help.  Possibly one of you knows who owns one and would see if they would be willing to talk.

Please PM me if you would prefer, over posting on the open forum.

So everyone knows what the gun is and what I'm looking for, here are pictures from Rock Island Auctions of a rifle.  Pistol picture is from an internet article.
Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2024 at 9:06pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Sharps Pistol Rifle
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2022 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Bob, Can't help but you are a glutton for punishment. Beautiful little rifle.
Action: tough to build, don't think Rodney has castings, Allen & Thurber type mainspring. Could be done with a few dimensions. 
Would make a nice small caliber cartridge rifle and probably less complicated than your No. 7, except for the action.
Would encourage you to continue and within your skill set. A very unique rifle.
Chuck

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2022 at 11:30am
Print Post  
It seems to me that roughly 20 years ago, somebody like Franklin Mint made a full-size, functional, but pot metal copy of the pistol.  IF I'm right and IF you could find one, it might serve as a model for somebody like our Rodney to make a set of basic action castings, modified to take a scaled-down version of someone's current Model 1874 firing pin assembly.  From what you've shown us here, Bob, I'm sure you could take it from there.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2022 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bill and Chuck for the words of encouragement!  If I countinue down this road I might need more. Smiley
I have time, lots of steel but not much for brains I guess, but this is one of those “can I do this” things!

Talked with Rodney and he does not have any casting but is interested.  Have also picked at Greg a little on it.

Chuck, you will need to enlighten me on the Allen & Thurber design.

Bill, I believe Greg had the same thought on using something similar to the 1874 design.

The frame has a side plate on the left side.  I am assuming, since it is an early breechloader and probably using muzzleloader technology, it uses a tumbler that is supported by that side plate.  From what I have found two of the three screws on the plate side actually attach the plate to the frame.  Not sure what the other does but guessing it might be for the trigger.  How the spring is oriented is also a question.  Lots of question that could be answered if I could see the inside of one of these.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2022 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
There are many internet photos of the pistol.  One, for example, shows the frame with the grips removed and the mainspring set-up clearly visible.  Others show the breech block with its heavily-rounded corners from both the top and the bottom.   The action is clearly a simplified version of the rifle's without the added complexity of a side-plate-mounted lock mechanism.

You can do this, Bob!

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2022 at 5:18pm by MrTipUp »  

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2022 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Bill, 
Interesting, I have over 150 picture of rifles and pistols.   

Got breech block pictures when in the frame but nothing disassembled.  I have completely missed the pistol with the grips removed, I’m probably not searching correctly, would it be possible to get that picture for me.   
Thanks, Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2022 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Sorry. Bob, I'm not computer literate enough to do that.  But if you google "sharps breech loading pistol images", you should find it.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bill, been searching and have not found the picture.  Most everything I see, I have seen before.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I'm sorry, Bob; I sometimes don't give very good directions.  So I'll try again.

Google "sharps breech loading single shot pistol images".  When they come up, click on "view all".  The photo I'm referring to is the 114th image in the expanded set, 8th after the photo of Seller's book.  Click on that image, then on "view page", and you will be lead to a closed auction (sale # 100982311) on the Guns International site.  You can still play with the photo set for that auction, several of which may be of interest to you.

I really hope that this time I'm of help.

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2022 at 4:14pm by MrTipUp »  

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Shortcut.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Many, many thanks, John Wells!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
thanks for the link to see more of this interesting gun. Now, a question- are all of the paper tape primers interchangeable? And, if one was without the tapes could you revert to the ordinary percussion cap?

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I've always assumed that the rifles used musket-size nipples while the pistols and pistol-based rifles used revolver-size ones.  But I don't know that for sure and so I can't answer your first question.

But I can positively answer the second, having actually done so on many occasions with a Schoyen-rebuilt Model 1859:  you certainly can use a standard musket cap.  In fact, it's my understanding that many Civil War participants preferred to do so.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bill and John,  I believe that is the large frame pistol because of the 6 1/4 inch barrel, but a great find for me anyway.  Definitely shows how some of it is put together. As I said before, the rifle and pistol look the same but parts will not interchange.
Bob
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2022 at 7:41pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
I don't know much about the tape system but did find this on Christian Sharps patented pellet system that was used on this gun.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Send TopicPrint