Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sharps Pistol Rifle Build (Read 29064 times)
MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Re: Sharps Pistol Rifle
Reply #15 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
According to Flayderman, the "small" pistols were .31 and .34 caliber, the "large" were .36, and the rifles in both .31 and .38 were made on a "Special Pistol Rifle" action.  Assuming that Mr. Sharps actually wanted to make money from these somewhat unconventional guns, I'd guess that the rifle action was little different from the larger pistol action.  In any case, assuming that you can't borrow and do not relish the outlay for an original rifle, I'd think it expedient and reasonable to scale a rifle action off of a larger pistol.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Bill, Before posting my question here, I think I had enough information to start on the frame drawings but really nothing on the internals.  While I had some idea what the inside might look like, I was hoping someone would pop in here that had a gun or access to one and clarify things for me.  Although, that hope is fading fast! Smiley  The help here, so far, has moved me down this road a bit further though.  Many probably think it’s crazy even starting down it!   
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all that answered my questions. I once thought I knew a lot about antique rifles. Ha! Embarrassed But, the fellows here always step up and supply info to whoever has a question to ask.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Wish one more person would step in with a picture inside of this animal. Cheesy

Robert Warren

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #19 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
I'd guess that at least one or two large public collections - NRA, Cody, Frazier, and the like - would have one of those rifles.  If so, perhaps an associated conservator (like I was) could be enlisted to disassemble one and take photos.  As an inducement, I'd offer photos of your elegant and authentic work to establish your bona fides, plus a suitable fee.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
That’s  a good thought Bill.  First, I’ll give this a bit more time to see if something comes up.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Looks like I may get at least external dimensions from an original.  Found a gent that owns one and seem interested in the project.  He’s a bit hesitant to disassemble it but says he may give it a go, we will see.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
I now have internal pictures.  It confirms my assumptions of it being very similar to a simple muzzleloader lock.  Nothing really surprised me except the fly and how really, really small this gun is!  If you look at the front of the trigger there is a screw pointing at the tumbler.  The owner could not tell me if the end pushed against the tumbler, but I’m assuming it does, and is an adjustment for sear engagement.
Bob
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2022 at 12:24pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Bob,
I'm hung up on the need for the fly, nothing indicates a set trigger - is the return spring on the trigger stiff enough it returns it to rest quick?  If so then the trigger pull must be substantial.  I'm missing something obviously.
G

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #24 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Congratulations, Bob!  I knew you'd get at least some pictures somehow. Also, if the fly acts on anything, I'd think it would be the trigger.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
so, he did 'step up' and help- like I said, you guys are great. Now, it's time to suggest that he put a little lubricant into that dry-looking ol' rifle to keep it for another century or so.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
calledflyer….by the time I got these pictures it was already back together.  I felt very lucky to have gotten them.  Had questions but it was to late, he did want to take it apart again.  He has been very helpful and really appreciated 

Greg, not a set trigger and that’s why the fly surprised me.  I’m with you….and wonder if it will be necessary.  Don’t know about the trigger pull but looking at the spring, and it’s geometry against the trigger, I wouldn’t doubt it might be high.

Working on a mock-up in plastic.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

dennis g
Participating Member

Reply #27 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Have you seen the one currently for sale on GB?

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
No, have not seen the one on GB.  I had looked but found nothing, just looked again and still don't see it.  Can you post a link?
Thanks

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
The start of the plastic mock-up.  Doesn't look like much yet!

The stub is made from steel and was intended to also be used on the actual build but my threading today just didn't go well, so it is not good enough to use later, but works for this.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Send TopicPrint