Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maynard 2nd Model 1863 help (Read 369 times)
Saratoga

Maynard 2nd Model 1863 help
Feb 6th, 2024 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Good afternoon all. I have Maynard carbine that I would like to get some information about. I haven't been able to get reliable help from local gun shops. A fellow from a gun site I frequent suggested I post here. I got the rifle from my Dad. I don't know how he acquired it though. I know he got it in the 1950's after returning from Korea (a proud combat veteran). It was hanging in our basement for as long as I can remember. He passed away in 1998, at which time I became it's caretaker. It's been in my gun safe ever since. I don't plan on leaving this world anytime soon, but when the time comes I don't have anyone to pass it to that would appreciate it for what it is. I'd rather sell it to a collector or reenactor. The SN is 22055. I don't believe it was used in the Civil War. The stock doesn't have any battle scars. And the breech and bore are smooth and shinny with clean grooves. I would appreciate any history, and possibly a reasonable retail value if you can offer it. I can't post pictures with my first post so I'll post them soon. Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to offer. 
Best regards,
Bob

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard 2nd Model 1863 help
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2024 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
If I remember right, the US purchased something over 20,000 Maynard Second Model carbines.   They saw lots of service during the Civil War and afterwards as well.  Some were still in service in the west up until replaced with the 45-70 trapdoor Springfield.   If you are interested in the history of them there are several books available on Civil War Carbines.  Also, several books about the Maynards as well.

By the way, they are really fun to shoot and easy to clean.   

George

IP Logged

Saratoga

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2024 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Well, I'm still trying to post pictures. Gotta figure out how to resize them, I guess.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2024 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Martial marked 2nd mods run well into the 23,000 serial number range so yours is late production. Well over half never saw service during the Civil War as they were delivered too late to be issued. Near mint condition ones bring around $4000 with average beater ones in shooting condition running $1200-$1500. They are popular with shooters in the North-South Skirmish Association.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint