Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Best Barrels 45-70, 45-90 (Read 1533 times)
RollingBlockHeadMi
Participating Member

Best Barrels 45-70, 45-90
Feb 7th, 2024 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I know this will get things going as it's always an opinion of choice taste brand.

But here it is any way's
I have two #1 Receivers I want to put barrels on.
1. 45-70
2  45-90
How long of a Barrels as well.?

So what is working for the shooters out there.

Thanks, and let's keep it inside the topic. lol Tongue

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2024 at 10:33am by RollingBlockHeadMi »  

IP Logged

RollingBlockHeadMi
Participating Member

Re: Best Barrels 45-70, 45-90
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
62 views, lol. Let's see if we can reach 100 without a reply. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
are you just bored? Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

RollingBlockHeadMi
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
NO, Trying to build rifle's.
Needing information.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Lot of barrel makers out there, they all pretty much work, at least the ones listed below.  Not in order of any preference, here's a few; you can google for their websites to buy.

Bartlein
Brux
Green Mountain
Pac Nor
Lilja
Douglas
Shilen
Broughton
Hart
Krieger
McGowen
BRC (Borchardt rifle co)
Ron Smith if you want to buy Canadian.
Lothar Walther if you want european

I'd go with .458 diameter, 18 or 16 twist for a .45 rifle.  Anywhere from 28 to 34 inches, depending on your preference.  Octagon or round, again depending on your preference.  I'd go at least 1" at the breech end, but again, that depends on your preference for how heavy you want it.

Reason you're not getting much in answers is you're asking to be spoon fed everything without giving any background information about what you  want.

Are you a gunsmith?  Experienced shooter?  What do you want the rifles to do?  What distance do you shoot?  What competition type you want to shoot?  Who will be doing your gunsmithing?  Are you doing your own?  If so, what level of expertise/equipment do you have?  Unlimited budget or trying to do this for half of what you can just buy a completed rifle for?  Hunting rifle or target or plinking of hang on the wall for bragging rights?  Experienced bullet caster?  Intend to cast your own?  Going to shoot jacketed?  Boing to buy hard cast pre made bullets?  Paper patch or grease groove if cast?  Blackpowder or smokeless?  Expecting to just buy preloaded ammo for the rifles?  What would you expect to pay for a barrel of the type/quality you want, or what is your budget?

Answering those questions would be a good start on getting an informed opinion, otherwise something like this is as good as it gets:

Wow, great to see you're doing a .45 cal rifle.  I rebareled an old  .30-06 once and my gunsmith used a (fill in the blank with manufacturer here, from above list, plus numerous others) barrel and it shoots great.  I'm sure it will work for you!

IP Logged

RollingBlockHeadMi
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks ssdave, good points, who what where when and why's my Bad.
I'd like to build these both for hunting and shooting matches.
I'm not a gunsmith, but like to work on projects that only require me to replace parts.
So the threading machine work will be sent out.

Black Powder and the rounds/bullets that any event would allow these to be. (New at most of this, other than a lot of shooting.

IP Logged

RollingBlockHeadMi
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
RollingBlockHeadMi wrote on Feb 7th, 2024 at 4:13pm:
Thanks ssdave, good points, who what where when and why's my Bad.
I'd like to build these both for hunting and shooting matches.
I'm not a gunsmith, but like to work on projects that only require me to replace parts.
So the threading machine work will be sent out.

Black Powder and the rounds/bullets that any event would allow these to be. (New at most of this, other than a lot of shooting.

ssdave, do you know what the standard length of these barrels were for each.
Thanks

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Green Mountain makes barrels already tapered octagon in several weights suitable for rolling blocks. They are generally good barrels. They used to be a bargain but now they are up over $400. Most others will require milling octagon. $400 doesn't pay for a lot of machining and gunsmithing so they may still be a good buy. They come 35" long so you can make them as long or short as you like.

IP Logged

RollingBlockHeadMi
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks Deadeye Bly.
What I'd like to know, is what length were they in standard issue.
or bought when buying one to hunt buffalo.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
You're playing catch-up. That's ok, we all were there at one point. (Except some of these guys were weaned with .32-40 cartridge pacifiers, but we shan't go there.) What a fella in your shoes needs to do is slow down and read as much as he can before starting with the questions and parts gathering. Knowledge is power, as they say. I think most of the esteemed denizens of this forum much prefer correcting erroneous ideas and answering intelligent questions rather than doing a fellow's homework for him.

In this instance a better approach would've been: "I've been looking at barrel makers sites and here's what I'm leaning toward, and here's why." You'll get replies of "that's a dandy barrel and and a decent price." "Avoid that #5 weight 32" .45 barrel, you'll curse it when you carry it all day in the deer woods since that's what you say is your intended purpose." Or, " why do you want a 36" .30-40 barrel for that High Wall- a 26-28" incher would be more practical."

Not putting you down. In a way your innocence is refreshing. Keep the faith!

IP Logged

Idealshooter
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Feb 7th, 2024 at 4:05pm:
Lot of barrel makers out there, they all pretty much work, at least the ones listed below.  Not in order of any preference, here's a few; you can google for their websites to buy.

Bartlein
Brux
Green Mountain
Pac Nor
Lilja
Douglas
Shilen
Broughton
Hart
Krieger
McGowen
BRC (Borchardt rifle co)
Ron Smith if you want to buy Canadian.
Lothar Walther if you want european

I'd go with .458 diameter, 18 or 16 twist for a .45 rifle.  Anywhere from 28 to 34 inches, depending on your preference.  Octagon or round, again depending on your preference.  I'd go at least 1" at the breech end, but again, that depends on your preference for how heavy you want it.

Reason you're not getting much in answers is you're asking to be spoon fed everything without giving any background information about what you  want.

Are you a gunsmith?  Experienced shooter?  What do you want the rifles to do?  What distance do you shoot?  What competition type you want to shoot?  Who will be doing your gunsmithing?  Are you doing your own?  If so, what level of expertise/equipment do you have?  Unlimited budget or trying to do this for half of what you can just buy a completed rifle for?  Hunting rifle or target or plinking of hang on the wall for bragging rights?  Experienced bullet caster?  Intend to cast your own?  Going to shoot jacketed?  Boing to buy hard cast pre made bullets?  Paper patch or grease groove if cast?  Blackpowder or smokeless?  Expecting to just buy preloaded ammo for the rifles?  What would you expect to pay for a barrel of the type/quality you want, or what is your budget?

Answering those questions would be a good start on getting an informed opinion, otherwise something like this is as good as it gets:

Wow, great to see you're doing a .45 cal rifle.  I rebareled an old  .30-06 once and my gunsmith used a (fill in the blank with manufacturer here, from above list, plus numerous others) barrel and it shoots great.  I'm sure it will work for you!

Any idea who has the fastest lead time 

GTalk  
IP Logged

RollingBlockHeadMi
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Feb 7th, 2024 at 9:29pm:
You're playing catch-up. That's ok, we all were there at one point. (Except some of these guys were weaned with .32-40 cartridge pacifiers, but we shan't go there.) What a fella in your shoes needs to do is slow down and read as much as he can before starting with the questions and parts gathering. Knowledge is power, as they say. I think most of the esteemed denizens of this forum much prefer correcting erroneous ideas and answering intelligent questions rather than doing a fellow's homework for him.

In this instance a better approach would've been: "I've been looking at barrel makers sites and here's what I'm leaning toward, and here's why." You'll get replies of "that's a dandy barrel and and a decent price." "Avoid that #5 weight 32" .45 barrel, you'll curse it when you carry it all day in the deer woods since that's what you say is your intended purpose." Or, " why do you want a 36" .30-40 barrel for that High Wall- a 26-28" incher would be more practical."

Not putting you down. In a way your innocence is refreshing. Keep the faith!

Thanks gnoahhh, you're right  to say what you say, but it's like having the right to remain silent, I know that, I just don't have the ability to to, lol. But as ssdave pointed out and you as well. I need to let folks know what my intentions are.

I'm working on a #4 as we speak, I'm picking up a #6 in the morning, and I have 2 #1 receivers to pickup the first of the month.
I'd like to shoot some events this summer, so I get excited, But you guy's have been kind and I appreciate that. Thanks.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Rollingblockhead
I suggest you build one for hunting-lighter,shorter barrel
and one for target/match shooting-heavier barrel-30inch number 3 
is a good all around length for target/match. Longer barrels only invite BP fouling control challenges
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

rafter3c
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Below are rifles I have built using BRC barrels in 45-70 with targets. I like the 32" barrel length for the 45cal. barrels. Most of my SS shot rifles I have build in the BRC shop are two or three barrel sets. For more information see add in ASSRA Journal go to brcrifles.com
KL
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2024 at 3:57pm by rafter3c »  

IP Logged

ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 11:27am
Print Post  
i have a few badger new old stock barrels that i got from axtell. they are profiled full oct. and threade for the 77 that they made. i have 4 of these rifles and they all shoot great. i recently threade one for a hepburn project i am doing. no dovetails, 1 in 18   34.4 long just need final polish.  450.00 .  no wait time  tony<><

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint