Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Powdered metal to fill holes? (Read 591 times)
awp101

Powdered metal to fill holes?
Feb 3rd, 2024 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Recently I mentioned to a local gunsmith I have a Martini Cadet that's been poorly drilled for scope mounts in multiple places on the barrel and the holes were such that I couldn't just put a screw in them and file it flush.  I said I was considering just having the holes welded up or going ahead and having it re-barreled.

If I understood him correctly, he said he would mix a powdered metal with black JB Weld, fill the holes and then properly drill for a new mount.

An unrelated conversation we had a few days later plus part of another I overheard while standing at the counter waiting to look at something convinced me he wasn't the guy I was looking for.

My question is, what metal would he likely have used?  I don't recall if he said aluminum or steel?  Or would either be acceptable?

The Wheels of Justification grind slowly but inexorably

IP Logged

Amoretti

Re: Powdered metal to fill holes?
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2024 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Someone, Locktite?, makes a thread repair kit.  Google is your friend.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 10:48am
Print Post  
The best result will be threaded filler rods, and if the surface is hogged out or messed up around the surface I just drill the holes the next size larger, and tap them again. 
I never use screws as they wont fit tight enough to not show a gap around the hole. I use rod and thread it so it wont bottom out in the hole, and instead it will stop as the threads end. Then cut them off a few thousandths above the barrel, and peen them down before filing them to match the surface. The peening will expand the plug tightly into the surface, and when they're draw filed they disappear. Very tough to find them after the rust bluing is done.
I do the same with dovetail fillers. Make them very tight, then peen each end before draw filing to fit.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2024 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Marlinguy is correct. Screws are sometimes harder and will not peen down. If the holes are in the right place they can be opened up to 8-40. The holes can also have inserts made to take them back to the original thread size. Welding is not advised as it can cause a tight spot in the bore.  While JB weld has been used in many applications I don't recommend using it for scope mounts.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint