Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 40-90 BN Question (Read 648 times)
Chris W

40-90 BN Question
Jan 31st, 2024 at 10:26am
Print Post  
For those of you that load this round, what are you using to expand the mouth of the cartridge to get a paper patched bullet to start? I have dies and brass, but need the mouth belled a little more to start a PPB.  thanks
Chris

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 40-90 BN Question
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
I don't load the .44-90, but I load .44-77BN and bell case mouth slightly using my Lyman M die set. I just use a .457" expander and set it to just kiss the case mouth enough to allow bullets to seat without issue.
I use my M die set of expanders on a bunch of bottleneck cases that don't come with expanders for belling the case mouths.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Chris W

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
My M Die is for my 45s and the diameter is to large to even start in the .40s mouth, I tried it last night, I guess I could chuck it up and bevel the end a little so it would just start and not effect it for my 45 cases.

IP Logged

Chris W

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Track of the Wolf had inserts for my M die and powder compression plug so went ahead and ordered it. I'll make something work till it arrives.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
I've made expanders by buying hardware store bolts and turning the shanks down to the size and shape I needed. If I recall correctly all the major die makers, and the M die bodies use a 9/16" bolt. Don't recall the thread count, but they're NF threads. 
I buy bolts with an inch of shank and cut the heads off. Then chuck the threaded end in my drill press and just use a file to shape it as it spins.
But if you have an M die already Lyman sells the expanders about as cheap as a bolt. Last I bought were around $3.75 each. I buy various sizes over what I need and shape them down.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
A custom expander from Buffalo Arms that is about .002 over the patched diameter of the bullet. Be sure to chamfer the inside of the case mouth

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
One more thing you may find helpful is the powder charge in fire formed cases will likely be 2 grains heavier than the unfireformed

IP Logged

steveu
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
A .411/413 expander

IP Logged

Jeff Michel

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I use an RCBS .408 expander die, similar to a Lyman M die. I use Starline brass (45 2.6) no problem with PP bullets starting with decent neck tension.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
I load paper patched bullets in several 40 caliber rifles and am no expert by any means, but I don't expand the brass at all. Instead I fit my bullet diameter for a snug finger seat.  I can use the same cast bullet in two of my rifles by just changing the thickness of paper to achieve the desired diameter.  A good chamber cast is worth its weight in gold to decide what bullet diameter you want so that you can match the length of the freebore and still be seated in the case to your desired depth.  I use dual diameter bullets made by Accurate Molds to my specifications.  I don't use any dies at all for pp loads in my rifles except to compress the charge and seat the wads.  If you do expand the nexk then I highly recommend Buffalo Arms custom expanders.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint