Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need breach block plunger 44 1/2 Stevens (Read 934 times)
bullshop

Need breach block plunger 44 1/2 Stevens
Jan 25th, 2024 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Anyone have a spare breach block plunger for a 44 1/2 Stevens ?
Will trade bullets or brass or cash.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Need breach block plunger 44 1/2 Stevens
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2024 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Have you checked with CPA?  Don’t know if they have the original hammer shaped one.  From what I understand they use a straight pin now.  Don’t know if it will work in an original, they may have moved the hole in order to make the pin work.  But, they would know the answer to that.

Or, Rodney Story.  His would probably need some work.

If no one can help, I could probably make one.  I have a hand drawn sketch of one.  I could probably use some bullets.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2024 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Am waiting to hear from CPA.  Will let you know.  Thanks !

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 8:44am
Print Post  
The straight pin will work in an original 44 1/2. I have one from CPA in one of my 44 1/2's.  I do not see the replacement plunger and spring on CPA's website anymore. If CPA cannot help you it would be a simple matter to make one.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Just got an email from CPA. They said they do not have the original type.  That is all they said.
The gun is put together without it but it seems like I can feel the firing pin bump the extractor when I open the action.  The breach block moves straight down instead of rocking back away from the chamber.  I guess I will have to try to make one, Since I have no pattern to go by the length will be trial and error.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I have a disassembled 44 1/2 action I'm working on, the original breech block plunger is .935" or approximately 15 /16" OAL.  The diameter of the shaft is just slightly larger than 3/16", the spring is approximately .620" OAL.  I hope that will give you a starting point.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
If you have the tools, lathe and mill, I can post my rough drawings. Or, just make a straight pin and give it a try.  The original, old style, I measured was .940 total length, the pin/shank was .198.  If you don’t have the spring it is .186 diameter, .600 long, wire size .033 and 8 1/2 turns or roughly 16 turns to the inch.  All very close to the sizes already stated.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Great info and a big help.  I do have the original spring so that is not an issue.  What I will have to play with is the dimensions of the head of the plunger. I can measure the milled slot for the top to bottom but will have to guess the width.  Another question that comes to mind is the face of the plunger, is it vertical or is it angled or undercut to be a flush fit with the breach block in its open position?

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I thought you would just try the pin so I gave you what I thought you would need for that.

This info should give you what you need to make the complete original. If you have any question about my scribbles you'll just need to ask.
Good Luck.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
WOW !!   That goes above and beyond the call.  You Sir deserve the ASSRA medal of honor.  Thank you !

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2024 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Just getting your gun working is enough for me!

I found 3 more picture that might help.

The first on has the plunger laying on top the frame.  Can't guarantee the position of the head is correct, but quite often I would do this so I know how it is installed.

The second shows the profile of the part.  It has a slight overhang on the left side in this picture.  If you can, you might want to see if you can measure and see if your gun requires this.  For some reason I did not record that dimension. 

Last is a grainy picture of the broadside, but it give you an idea how it looks compared to the drawing.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2024 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Another question, looking at your picture with the plunger and spring lying on the receiver I see a screw at a point that would contact the spring.  Is that screw to retain the spring?   
My receiver does not have that screw.  The retaining screw or adjusting screw for my receiver is at the receiver face under the fore end .    What is the difference other than the obvious ?

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2024 at 11:09am
Print Post  
That’s not a screw in that locations in the frame.  The picture is showing the order of installation.  The screw shown come in from the front, beside the barrel, to retain and compress the spring.  Same screw as shown in the drawing, referenced as retainer.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint