Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is your “modify/do not modify” threshold? (Read 1364 times)
John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: What is your “modify/do not modify” threshold?
Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Several years back a customer sent a rolling block for a liner. The last 3 or 4 inches in the bore were rusted. All his friends told him he would loose any collector value if I installed a liner so he asked me to send the gun back. Now he has an expensive wall hanger that has no collector value because it has rust in the bore.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

awp101

Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2024 at 9:36am
Print Post  
John Taylor wrote on Jan 18th, 2024 at 11:55pm:
Several years back a customer sent a rolling block for a liner. The last 3 or 4 inches in the bore were rusted. All his friends told him he would loose any collector value if I installed a liner so he asked me to send the gun back. Now he has an expensive wall hanger that has no collector value because it has rust in the bore.

That’s just madness!  With very few exceptions, give me a shooter over a wallhanger any day!

The Wheels of Justification grind slowly but inexorably

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2024 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Colin Greenwood authored an excellent book on the British Rook & Rabbit rifles.  however, there is one suggestion I heartly disagree with...concerning the rifles chambered in .320 long.  This is our old .32 Colt (it is said Colt copied Tranters ctg. and re-named it).  Anyway, Colin advised re-chambering to the more common .32 S&W ctg.  said only a few thousands difference, but much easier to obtain.  There is a bit more to it than a couple of thou.  The .320 long is a heeled bullet.  And now that we are blessed with with Buffalo Arms Co., the .32 Colt is once again available.  I did go to the trouble of making forming dies and swaging .32 S&W brass to .32 Colt..but what a job!  Buffalo arms and Old West both carry heeled bullets for this ctg.  There is just something satisfying about getting an old obsolete rifle shooting accuratly again using the ammunition it was designed for.  After all..they are only original once!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint