Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Drawknife for stock work? (Read 2287 times)
idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Re: Drawknife for stock work?
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2024 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing Bruce... Where is the best place to get one? 
JP

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 8th, 2024 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks for posting this topic.  I always thought it was my lack of sharpening skills that limited my drawknife work, but I sharpened it up with Cratex bobs this last time, and still had more or less trouble with it hogging in on figured wood.  Sometimes, I can go in the opposite direction and it isn't as snaggy, but I'm afraid to bring it down too close.  Spokeshaves go slower, but I can more easily find the direction on the wood that they pare, rather than dig in and snag.

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2024 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Jeff,
     The one I use I believe I got at Harbor Freight.  The one I posted, I just pulled off Ebay.  They had several of them.   
Bruce

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2024 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
I knew I'd built a couple of specific purpose drawknives, on the small side especially for stockwork.  Found one today.  One time when the forge was hot and my triphammer was out, cut up an inner race from a Fafnir bearing.  I made two of them one has a small radius, one a little larger, think the photo is of the smaller radius.  If the operator keeps them sharp Wink they really rough a stock out quick.  The key is sharpening.
Bruce,
I tried one of the rotary rasps, WOW! not sure I'll tackle a higher end piece of English with it anytime soon.  I did a lower quality piece of English for my current Ballard build, so far it's still salvageable, Grin but I'm down to the drawknife and a rasp...
Nivins.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 6:12am
Print Post  
I use a draw knife a lot, been through several kept the one  that suits me best. Will only use it very sharp, stop often and dress up the edge.

Draw knife sharpening is different due to the shape. I hold it edge up one end on the bench pushing on a bench stop other end in my hand. Using a composite two grit stone held like a file stoke the blade from the edge to the back. Some danger that way, compared to  stone on the bench, wear a glove on the stone hand & pinch it don’t wrap your fingers around. 

Depending on the wood it’s cutting I use either the rougher side or the smooth side. Generally the rough stone does better & the spoke shave most often used roughing out anyhow. Good trick is run a black sharpie down the blade edge and back side. Gives indicator stone angle as it contacts the blade.

If a roughing cut is going well and wood has a uniform grain I will often use the drawknife past the point of switching to a spokeshave.  This only on easily replaced stock. Expensive piece much more cautious 

Boats
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2024 at 6:19am by boats »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 6:17am
Print Post  
There was a lumberjack competition way up north, cutting trees stacking cordwood. Due to the danger crowd was held back some distance. One fellow won by a large margin. 

Asked how he could cut and stack so well when he stopped often sat on a log back to the crowd, was he resting?   

“ No I was sharpening my ax “

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 6:45am
Print Post  
These are the shaping tools I use most. Most aggressive to least. Have multiples each type these picked up more often. Recognize the handled card scraper ? It’s a Starrett The socket slick and broad hatchet are workhorses. Something heavy roughing out often better to use them on the bench than the bandsaw run single handed 

Honest have not shaped many gun stocks probably half a dozen over 60 years. First in High School shop. Have shaped many lamp post mailbox post boat mast & booms, push poles oars etc. while the lathe is best it’s length limited & it’s often faster to hand shape, particularly big square to octagon to round all tapered base to top.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 10:53am
Print Post  
I like draw knives......

A friend of mine often described the latest, new wiz-bang gadget as an attempt to overcome training/skill deficiencies with technology.....

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #23 - Feb 25th, 2024 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I use a $" Makita angle grinder with a sanding disc, not the flap type, to roughly shape stocks.  I draw the outline of the stock on the flat sides of the blank and bandsaw the basic profile.  I draw a mid-line all the way around the edge of the blank to use as a reference.    I hold the grinder in my right hand and "sculpt" the rough shape of the stock.   Stop frequently and observe your progress. The Makita is lighter than many so its not too taxing.  After the grinder/sander, I use rasps to get the grinder marks out and finally use sandpaper.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 25th, 2024 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Good man with a angle grinder can do some nice work. For years Core Sound boats with extreme flare were planked wide boards were they could, edge nailed glued strips when needed . Then sanded fair with angle grinders. 

Most today are cold molded over CNC cut molds, still a few builders on the Outer Banks of North Carolina sanded out edge nailed. Boat in the photo built probably 50 years ago still fishing. She’s as smooth and fair as the most expensive custom

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 7:01am
Print Post  
SchwartzStock wrote on Feb 24th, 2024 at 10:53am:
/.... as an attempt to overcome training/skill deficiencies with technology.....

And that is not possible....IMHO

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint