Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Drawknife for stock work? (Read 2286 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Drawknife for stock work?
Jan 5th, 2024 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
I've had people post a couple of times that they use drawknives for stock work.

I've only used chisels and rasps, along with a small (maybe 2" blade) spokeshave.

In cleaning stuff out today, I found two draw knives I'd put aside to decide on "someday".  I guess I'm to that day.  Both are US made, the Winstead Edge works is probably from the 1940's to 1950's, the Snow and Nealley is likely only 20 years or so old, appears to have never been sharpened and used.  

Do these look like anything that would be used on stocks?  the Snow and Nealley looks to be pretty robust, more for peeling logs than delicate work.  The Winstead is a bit more delicate, but not by much.  I could see either taking off huge chunks, probably where I didn't want to lose the wood.  

Before I clean them up and sharpen and try them, any thoughts or suggestions?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2024 at 5:57pm by ssdave »  

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Drawknife for stock work?
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2024 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Dave,
Get out your axe and build a log cabin.  You have the tools now.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

Whitewood

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2024 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Of the two. the Winstead is probably the most useful. It has a narrower blade, which enables it to be used for concave curves, such as occur in the wrist area of the stock.
A drawknife can take off a large amount of wood, or a delicate shaving.It's all in how you use it. It definitely takes practice, but is a very useful tool.
It can be used with the bevel up or down, depending on what kind of cut you want to take.
Rick W 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2024 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I like the narrow blade but would want to see how the folding handle works. Should be absolutely fixed it’s how you control the cut. Wide blade will produce plane like shavings a useful cut.

As a rule I get fairly close to the line with the drawknife real close with a spokeshave and finish with a hand held card scraper. Moving from one to the other depends on the wood, complicated grain more conservative cuts.

Boats

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2024 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Dave, I think I was one of those that use the drawknife.  I only use it for rough stock removal and have found it really only works well for me on straight grain wood.  The highly figured stuff create issue with just pulling through a stroke.  On my last stock I used a flap disc that goes on a 4 inch grinder, the disc has the sand paper shingles around its diameter.  It removes wood incredibly fast, but is also surprisingly easy to control.  I can easily grind to a line just like I would with a rasp.  I’ll be using one again tomorrow for the second time.  I wouldn’t suggest doing this in a shop though.
Bob

The first one I used the grinder on was the Favorite that I started the thread on, also here in gunsmithing.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2024 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Bob, I may try that flap disc on my grinder for the Winder stock I’m making. Since you are following it you know the grain is going every which way, I have the Winstead drawknife but as you said it’s really best on straight grain wood. I’m 85 years old and don’t have the arm strength and for that matter any of the strength I had in the past. I had a long course grained Liogier rasp that I gifted to Jim Chambers as I was not strong enough to use it but I can still use my trusty Nicholson #50. Where can I find your thread on the grinder sounds like that would do the trick!
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2024 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Richard,
I didn’t do a thread on using the grinder, just saying the Favorite stock was done using that method.  I think the thread has moved to the second page in gunsmithing.   

Rather than here, I think I’ll start a new thread.  Been taking some pictures as I’ve worked this wood down so might be a good time to do this.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2024 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Bob,  interesting tip on using the angle grinder and flap wheels.  I use them on steel all the time, no reason not to on wood.

Another similar expedient for roughing out work is a die grinder with a carbide burr.  I've used that in the past, as well as an air powered grinder with burr.

In the past year, I got an additional foredom flex shaft with the heavy duty square drive, and 1/4" collet chuck.  I could use it also with carbide burrs.  I'll have to try that one of these days, but as you said, not for use in the shop because of the mess.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2024 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
I love my foredom and it's always hanging above my gunsmithing bench to be handy for metal work. So much better having the chuck that accepts all different size shafts, and the foot control to vary speeds!
I haven't used it on wood before, but might have to play with some scrap wood and different tips to see how it works.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2024 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I've had a standard duty foredom forever, since I was a goldsmith many years ago.  Oddly enough, I don't use it as much as I should, I often use a dremel instead.  I dislike having it in the way at my workbench, so have to hang it up and plug it in to use it, so it's often easier to grab the dremel.   

I got one of the heavy duty units last year, have thought it would be more useful for wood work than the standard chuck one.   It's a lower speed, higher torque machine with a heavier flex shaft drive. The handpiece gets hot on the smaller one with steady use for longer periods of time, this one shouldn't.  I have both collet and jacobs chuck type handpieces for this machine.  Haven't used it much yet to see how I like it and how it works.

I do a lot of things the same way I always have, I get little enough done without having to take time to try out and learn new things, so sometimes takes me a long time to implement changes.  Like the draw knives.  Have to sharpen them, find a place to hang them, remember to use them.  Meanwhile the chisels and rasps are in their familiar places on the bench, sharp and ready to use!

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2024 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
I have had good luck using an air file, both for metal and stock work.  You can create any file you want by welding an appropriate shank onto the file to fit the filer.  With a good light you can see the material removed and resultant shape in real time.  Try it I think you will like it.

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2024 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I use the flap sanding disc on a 4" grinder, and it works well, but I have also found that they make a coarse rounded carbide wheel for the grinder also.  It is extremely aggressive on removing wood and works well for the initial rough shaping.  I follow it up with the sanding flap wheel.   
Bruce

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2024 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Here's the wheel I use for coarse work.
Bruce

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2024 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Holy Crap Bruce, that thing looks hard to handle. I still do it all with hand tools, band saw, horse hoof rasp, cabinet maker's rasp, coarse cross cut file, 80 grit sandpaper. Then I get into finishing sanding and detailing it. I remember reading about Al Linden rough shaping a stock with a hatchet.

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2024 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
John, I know it looks hard to control, but with a high speed 4" grinder, it actually is pretty easy.  Just have to make sure what you want to remove.  Wood comes off pretty quick.   
Bruce

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint