Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Building a Winchester/Winder .22 match rifle (Read 14168 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Building a Winchester/Winder .22 match rifle
Reply #90 - May 6th, 2024 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Richard,
One more thing I'll share, for roughing these pieces like this - there are router bits on Amazon that cost pennies compared to endmills.  Don't shoot the poster for sharing pictures of a non vintage firearm project but a fixture I made for holding wood on the mill along with the cutter...
GT

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #91 - May 6th, 2024 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I use the mill as a big overarm router too. Grin   It’s easier to hold a more unfinished stock blank.

I’ve even made my own cutters for milling out barrel channels for octagon barrels.  The ones in the picture work just fine in the mill even without hardening or cleaning up the apprentice marks.  The 6 flute one cuts better than the 3 flute one.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #92 - May 8th, 2024 at 10:02am
Print Post  
I've used my small mill several times to cut barrel channels in forearms. Saves a lot of time getting them roughed in, and only takes a short amount of time afterwards to get the final fit.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #93 - May 12th, 2024 at 7:39am
Print Post  
GT, the older I get the dumber I get. A number of years ago my best friend gave me a set of carbide router bits for wood as a Christmas present and it never crossed my mind to use the one you pictured.
Gunbum, marlinguy, thank you! I need to make a cutter to inlet a couple of stock blanks for octagon barrels.
Cheers Richard 
PS, bobw asked me earlier if I tapped the the wood for the screws. I made some of the screws for the buttplate and grip cap and the threads are machine threads. When I drill and tap for these screws I always, where possible, use drill and tap guides so the screws remain centered. Sometimes I don’t want a screw centered so the guides will be made where the drilled hole in the guide is not co axial the the OD. As a tip, after I drill the hole for the tap I soak the hole with thin CA glue, then with a Q tip I remove the excess CA glue remaining, then I’ll spray the hole with CA kicker to harden the glue, then tap (with a guide).  I’ll repeat the CA process in the tapped hole and clean up the threads by chasing them with the tap.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2024 at 8:10am by Grand slam »  

IP Logged

WinHWFan54
Participating Member

Reply #94 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Inletting the stocks for those 1885 Winchester HW and LWs are a bearcat! Have done 2 and I really struggled with them, yours looks great so far. I assume you must have had someone weld up the holes in the side of the receiver intended for the micrometer sight?  If so they did a great job, matches the metal perfectly.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #95 - May 21st, 2024 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Those octagon cutters are the bees knees. I just cut an octagon channel for a #4 weight barrel using a 1/2” end mill, a 1” 45 degree countersink and some choice cuss words.  Tomorrow I drill for the screw and make a brass escutcheon and a taper on the back corners.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #96 - May 22nd, 2024 at 12:19am
Print Post  
I'm still banging rocks together here. No fancy store-bought cutters for me. I make my barrel channel cutters out of slices of the cutoffs of the barrels I've installed. Depending on the taper of the barrel it can take very little fitting once cut.

Only two thin flutes so I have to feed slow and make light cuts on my vertical mill (and let the cutter cool down some after a few passes), but it leaves a nice finish. I hold my shop vac nozzle by the cutter to suck up the chips.

My good friend Bob taught me this method when I first started hanging around him and learning how to run a lathe and mill. He's "thrifty", just like me.

These cutters aren't pretty, but they work just fine.

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2024 at 2:33am by JerryH »  

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #97 - May 22nd, 2024 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Before I got my small mill I made a round channel forend by mounting my router upside down in my small Makita table saw and using a Grizzly 1” round bit.  It took a few scrap cuts to get the fence in the correct position.  A sandpaper covered dowel added the slight taper.  The mill is much easier especially with the DROs I added. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #98 - May 25th, 2024 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Jerry, nothing wrong with that bbl channel cutter. A fine case of “ simplicity rules”.
All good ideas fellas.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #99 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Finished dovetailing the mortise in the barrel for the tenon pin. Thought this way might add a bit “old world” bling to the rifle. While the forend is still in its “square” configuration, I’ll locate the the rectangular opening in the mortise on both sides of the forend, then drill from both side, saw, file and burn the hole for the tenon…fingers crossed!
Cheers Richard 

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #100 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
As with a lot of machining operations how to hold the work takes up most of ones gray matters time. One this rifle I wanted something different to hold the forend to the barrel other than with the typical way it’s done with a screw, for two reasons one is to go old school that looks cool and the other is to stretch my abilities. The tenon is about .090” thick and around .375” wide.
I used a carbide screw machine length carbide drill held in an ER11 collet chuck, figuring this would be a pretty stiff set up for peck drilling a fairly deep hole. After locating and fixing the barreled action, I located the position of the slot in the lug the the tenon will pass through. Then I put the forend on and proceeded to drill four holes in a line in the wood by pecking away only half way through the forearm then using a small endmill I cleaned up the slot. The milling cutter was pretty short loc was about .375. After doing one side I broke the setup to do the other side.
Using a surface grinder a ground a mild steel piece to the same dims of the key but about 5 inches long with one end having a slight taper. This tool I heated up with a propane torch to under red heat and used it to burn my way through the slot using about four or five tries. Then fitting the forend back on I found I had to file about .010” or so off the inside bottom of the bbl lug. The tenon now has a snug sliding fit. I’m a happy camper. Next up I’m going to attempt making a steel forend tip, something to replace the Ebony insert that Winchester used.
Continues 

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #101 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Could not get all the photos in one post

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #102 - Aug 21st, 2024 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Well done! Looks perfect and very traditional style.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #103 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Nice Bling Richard!  Smiley

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #104 - Aug 22nd, 2024 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Richard, Greg, thank you! BTW the .22 is doing pretty good at this seasons 100 yd bullseye competition. Hope you guys ar3 getting out and punching holes.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 
Send TopicPrint