Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 32-40 Hogs (Read 3800 times)
Redrighthand

Re: 32-40 Hogs
Reply #30 - Dec 19th, 2023 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Mmmmmm pork chops Cheesy

Mike Brooks
IP Logged

BlackPowderLove

Reply #31 - Jan 5th, 2024 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Yum... pork

I am not sure why, but I have a desire to shoot hogs someday.  Looks like I may have to take some vacation to TX.

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”
IP Logged

Redrighthand

Reply #32 - Feb 10th, 2024 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
BlackPowderLove wrote on Jan 5th, 2024 at 8:28am:
Yum... pork

I am not sure why, but I have a desire to shoot hogs someday.  Looks like I may have to take some vacation to TX.

They are coming down from Canada now. You won't have long to wait to just shoot them in your garden.

Mike Brooks
IP Logged

dave j
Participating Member

Reply #33 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
went after some back in North Carolina back when i didnt know any better. followed them thru some briar thickets until one decided he left something behind and was returning to find it.it was a Russian variety and was not happy, no time to shoot so i cant relate what a 16 guage slug would do. New underwear was quickly purchased.

IP Logged

Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
"Good that the wee little bullet went into the ear. I doubt that would do  a good job elsewhere on the porker. I shot one with in the shoulder with a 44 mag. The damn thing staggered, looked around to see what bumped into him and resumed eating with the rest of the gang. Tough critters. Took another bullet driven in from the front to get him. Went back to the thirty-thirty." [/quote]

Lots of folks round here carry a .44 for bear protection and feel safe. Ask them why not just carry a 30-30 it is lighter and more handy, they'll look at you like your crazy.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

Slow Lazy Dog
Participating Member

Reply #35 - Mar 8th, 2024 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
My dad taught me to take my time and place my shot. If you are going to shoot an animal, it is only right to make a quick, clean kill. If you can't do that, just pass and hope for another opportunity. I always cringe before deer season when I see guys puff out their chest because they can hit a paper plate at 100 yards. Dad made my brother and I qualify for him each year with the rifle we wanted to hunt with. Three shots had to group in the X ring and be under an inch. It made us practice and learn trigger control. At twelve years old, he wouldn't let us shoot from a bench. We had to use field conditions and shoot from whatever was available as a rest. I am mid sixties now and still appreciate the lessons he taught me. I usually am not too concerned about the caliber. I don't shoot if I doubt my ability to make a clean kill.

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #36 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Many years ago I killed a lot of hogs in Florida using a 5mm Remington.
Very accurate - a bullet carefully placed behind the ear, or anywhere in the eye, did the job with great satisfaction.
My father also taught me to make the first shot count. That's why I'm a single shot guy, I guess.
Passed the habit on to my own son, too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint