Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Deer season in Oz (Read 939 times)
Spud
Senior Forum Member

Deer season in Oz
May 11th, 2024 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Yes, it's that time of year again here in Oz and I managed to take this Fallow buck with the good old Ruger no.1 in .303 Brit. Stalking conditions were tough as it was very dry underfoot so it was a case of finding a well used game trail and waiting. Patience paid off! 
Spud

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Deer season in Oz
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2024 at 10:01am
Print Post  
nice work, Spud. Is that a very unusual rack on your critter? I know nothing about those deer- heck, I don't know enough about the ones we have hereabouts.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2024 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Nicely done Spud!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2024 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Those are nice looking animals.  Are they good cooked or gamey?  What is the green thing on the muzzle of your shootin' iron?  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2024 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Normally older Fallow bucks develop dish shaped "palms" on their antlers. The cleft palms on this buck is typical of the deer in that particular area and is probably due to poor genetics. This one had been fighting too so had lost some tines on his left antler. Fallow venison tastes great, especially young spikers & does. Old bucks not so much especially during the rut.
That's green electrical tape on the muzzle to keep dirt, mud, leaves etc. (and very occasionally snow!!) out of the bore while walking in the bush. It blows off with a shot and doesn't affect accuracy. Old habits die hard, my father taught me to do that. I also tape a long thread of light cotton to the muzzle as an instant wind direction indicator. Works a treat. Normally I use black tape but green was the only thing handy.
Boy I love deer season!! The high point of every year...
Spud.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2024 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Spud. We had snow (a bit) last weekend, but it's nearing ninety degrees early this week. Oughta come visit your area.

IP Logged

degoins

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2024 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
lovely buck and rifle.......congrats!!!

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2024 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
As you say old habits die hard.
Once upon a time I was in Rigby's in London and this nice piece of leather work was for sale. Just the ticket I thought for my pre-war 7x57 Mauser in the bush of New Zealand.
Pity I forgot to take it off.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2024 at 3:58pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

RBKenn
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2024 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Absolutely lovely.  The unusual antler formation is actually rather appealing.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2024 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I am in the southeast US and our gun season opens in a few weeks mid October. Thousands of blood thirsty hunters out for blood will once again take to the hills and sit in trees or blinds in search of game. Lead will fly and animals will fall. Does bucks yearlings nothing is safe from these people. They cull nothing. They will fill their freezers with venison for another year. Sorry I got a little carried away. Seriously for the most part we have a safe hunting season and most all of our hunters are safe responsible people. Our buck to doe ratio is somewhat askew. Need to take more does. I also hunt and take only enough to fill the small freezer we have. Normally two is enough and if I can find a place to take them will donate a couple. Our herd consist primarily of the southeastern white tail deer. Nice animal taken with a classic cartridge...

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint