Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Review of Hi-Lux Malcolm 30" Scope (Read 2508 times)
Griff093
Participating Member

Re: Review of Hi-Lux Malcolm 30" Scope
Reply #15 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Finally got the scope installed and locked down, but only had time to do the 50 yard thing before packing for a cowboy action match at the end of last month.  Guessed at my sight setting and with 10 shots divided up between 100 & 300 yards, won the long range optical category side match with this rifle & scope.  Came home and finally got around to getting everything put away and cleaned up.  Decided on Monday to go to the range and do some more fine tuning with this rifle.  Found two screws loose on the rear mount after having my "zero" at 100 yards jumping around on me.  Totally frustrating day!  Came home tightened up those two screws and made plans to go back today.  Locked the rear sight in place with the back pf the scope misadjusted.  Shot about 7" left!  And obviously, I had to have forgotten to take the screwdriver set!  Time to reload some more ammo.  I'm tempted to take this scope off, re-install the modern scope and do a bit more ammo testing with something I have more confidence in holding a "zero".  The front of the scope is mounted in the front dovetail, almost to the point that right side of the mount is even with the right edge of the top flat.  Seems quite a bit "off"... Currently the rear mount is pretty well centered over the top flat and mounted in the holes provided for a front scope ring.  (Behind the rear dovetail).  When shooting @ 50 yards the scope is bottomed out in the mount.  !00 yards is one mark up.   

On another note, I also purchased a Longshot "Marksman" target camera.  What a pleasure to be able to "mark" each shot on my tablet and take a snapshot.  Shots 1 - 13 were from Monday, then #'s 31 - 67 were holes off the target that were preexisting from both days.  Today's shots were #'2 68 - 80, with 81 being unmarked when I saved this screenshot.  Every shot was using an aimpoint on the right edge of the target with the horizontal axis centered in the bull.

I'm quite discouraged, and now question whether any of my scope adjustments are valid, or even in the right direction.  Today I didn't have my padded front support, so some might be due to bouncing and the difficulty I had holding my eye centered the scope, somedays maybe one shouldn't shoot!   

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Give MVA a call if your scope mount problems continue. Their rear mount has cured a couple of fellow shooters ailments.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2023 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Put blue Loctite on any screws that hold the mounts, and don't need adjusting. It will help hold everything in place, and maybe allow the mounts to not need replacement yet.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Oct 25th, 2023 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Got back out to the range yesterday and got set up.  I dropped my powder charge from 15 to 14 grains of 5744 for a load that more closely matches my factory & BP .32-40 loads.  Must've done a better job of loading as my SD was down to 8, with an ave. of 1468 fps.

Finally got groups and slowly and carefully adjust the scope for a 100 yard zero.  While there are a few extraneous holes on the 2nd pic, those were from either previous outing or getting the elevation set yesterday.  It wasn't until I moved the camera back to see both targets that I realized my elevation was too low to begin with... duh!  Anyway, Im ready for the deer stand..

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2023 at 12:59pm by Griff093 »  

IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Nov 6th, 2023 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Got back to the range & shot for a 5 & a 10 shot group with the new load of 14 grains of 5744.  This yielded a 1469.1 fps ave with an ES of 34, SD of 11.5 and AD of 9.9.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint