Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Savage single shot rifle (Read 1480 times)
Kansas Highwall
Participating Member

Savage single shot rifle
Oct 20th, 2023 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
My first rifle was the Savage model 72 Crackshot. I've had many years of fun hunting and target shooting with it, trying various ammo for dialing it in as did my dad with the 30G. I've always appreciated the simple design and ease of maintenance it provided.   
I've often thought that same design would be perfect for other calibers like the .221 Fireball, 22 Hornet, 32 H&R mag and even maybe the 327 Fed Mag! The problem is in today's world not many really appreciate the art of the single shot so why would Savage even consider it?

IP Logged

Kansas Highwall
Participating Member

Re: Savage single shot rifle
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Kansas Highwall wrote on Oct 20th, 2023 at 8:35pm:
My first rifle was the Savage model 72 Crackshot. I've had many years of fun hunting and target shooting with it, trying various ammo for dialing it in as did my dad with the 30G. I've always appreciated the simple design and ease of maintenance it provided.  
I've often thought that same design would be perfect for other calibers like the .221 Fireball, 22 Hornet, 32 H&R mag and even maybe the 327 Fed Mag! The problem is in today's world not many really appreciate the art of the single shot so why would Savage even consider it?

Oh! I forgot to mention the .22 WMR vs. .17 HMR vs. .17 WSM!
Let's do this Savage and company! Smiley

IP Logged

Kansas Highwall
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
sorry but I'm new here and haven't figured out how to edit posts so I will just add this image for now.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2023 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Don't want to disappoint, but that action design is inherently weak. Puts a large load on the linkage and shoots loose.
Good for a .22 RF and not much else.
Chuck

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2023 at 5:36am
Print Post  
I have a model 72 a nice little rifle. I also have a new in box model 30G, okay rifle but the fit and finish is horrible. Probably why it lead to being discontinued.  The Stevens model 44 is  pretty much the rifle that you are asking for,  but also a bit weak for the cartridges that you listed.

IP Logged

Kansas Highwall
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2023 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Oct 20th, 2023 at 11:21pm:
Don't want to disappoint, but that action design is inherently weak. Puts a large load on the linkage and shoots loose.
Good for a .22 RF and not much else.
Chuck

Good to know! Thanks for the input.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2023 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
The 30G is a whole different animal. Fit and finish aren’t premium quality but adequate for a working gun. The original Favorites were inexpensive kids guns. I have 30G’s in .17 HRM and.22 WRM with tang sights and they’re a totally different animal than the original Favorites. Fit and finish are not fantastic but they are well built serviceable guns.

IP Logged

Kansas Highwall
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2023 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Back in the day when my dad gifted me with the 72 Crackshot he also bought the 30 G for himself. Who would have guessed his would become more valuable than mine. Of course he sold it after I moved out.  Angry
I still have mine and will give to my grandson once of age.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2023 at 1:48am
Print Post  
Personally I think they're ugly but the TC Encore is the product you're looking for, and they're a pretty popular cult item.

<div class=

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2023 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Speaking of the TC guns I just built a 14 inch 22LR barrel for my first generation Contender. Gentleman named Bike Bellm (check out his web site) was kind enough to send me some material for the barrel block and some working drawings to machine everything out. I used a Green Mountain barrel I had.Cut a match chamber in it. Going to send it off to have the block tig welded to the barrel. TC barrels are quite pricey so I thought why not build my own. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

JMH

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2023 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
about 25 years ago a fellow in  Portland Or. made up a batch of 7.62x39 Contender barrels from 2 groove 1903a3  barrels like you are doing with the block tigged to the barrel. They shot cast bullets fantastic!

IP Logged

wesg

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2023 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Made a few TC lugs from scratch, at least 40 years ago. TIG welded to 375 Douglas blanks turned down. 14-15 inch, chambered for a chopped off 30-30 case a guy that worked for my Dad had developed for a Ruger SBH Snapp had built for him. Had to make his own bullets by chopping 375/270 Hornady's down and reswaging them.

Pretty impressive ...

Still have a couple lugs ... I think ... pretty sure actually ... just 'where'?

A 22 not an issue, but I think there may have been some noticeable effect on the hardness of the barrel from TIG welding them on. Cut ok, but you could see it in the finish of the chamber, 30-30 size. 

I drew up a lug to thread a barrel in, but never made any. Not suitable for anything much larger than a 22 Hornet I'd think.

I have a 10" 357 barrel I screwed up. Few years back bored it out and put a liner in it made from a pulled 541-X barrel. Little I've shot it looks pretty promising.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2023 at 3:21am
Print Post  
I would like to see a new roller, somewhere between a No. 1 and a No. 4. Perhaps in the size of the No. 2. I would stay though with old cartridges available before 1900. A 32-20 would be my choice. Of course a rifle like this would probably start at the $1,200 mark because of the limited market for such a toy.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint