Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Review of Hi-Lux Malcolm 30" Scope (Read 2509 times)
Griff093
Participating Member

Review of Hi-Lux Malcolm 30" Scope
Aug 17th, 2023 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I bought this scope thru Optics Planet as they had them on sale.  I should've read the reviews here before purchasing... but... live & learn... at least it was at my own expense!
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Made it to the range for my first testing of the newly mounted scope. On the fifty yard line to get an idea where it printed.  Rifle is a Winchester (Miroku) High Wall Limited in .32-40.
These were the 2nd string of 5 shots, as the first five weren't on the paper at all. Although I chronographed them, I didn't make a note of them, forgetting that I could just make a list in my phone... Which I did for the 2nd five: according to the chronograph, they were: 1502, 1567, 1590 & 1570.

Figured I'd go ahead and adjust the scope in prep for firing at 100 yards... the scope is a little tedious to adjust... The only way to adjust elevation is to manually slide the scope mount in the base up and down, trying to make adjustments in small increments. It kinda wants to skip to big adjustments... I figured I like a group in the center before moving to the 100 yard line. I made small movements, as best I could, moving windage a little... rather as much as I could... I don't have enough adjustment range. The I moved the elevation. I moved it too much at first and had to move it back, 6th shot went a little higher than this group. Stepped down elevation until it was in line with the center, but still about 2" left. Got four shots off, and moved the front mount a little left to move impact to the right. But...
It wouldn't hold the hammer on the sear. Every time I opened the action the hammer dropped but wouldn't cock on its own. Tried manually cocking, but the sear wouldn't hold it. Hammer fell to the safety notch. Those four shots did clock at 1620, 1543, 1600 & 1609.

Given the initial group size, I figure the low reading was an aberration as they all felt about the same in recoil. The load was 15 grains of AA5744 behind a Missouri bullet lubed for BP over Winchester Large Rifle primers. I know the loads are very close as I individually weighed each charge, using the dribbler to bring the scale right to 15 grains. The scope with the factory mounts (Hi-Lux) isn't supposed to move, but it did over the course of the 14 round move about an inch forward, so I must not
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2023 at 6:11pm by Griff093 »  

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Review of Hi-Lux Malcolm 30" Scope
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2023 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I played with one of them, and the optics seemed fine. But once you locked it down don't ever move it. Seem like some of the screws were a little soft as well.
Keep me posted on your rifle "issues" as I have the same one in 30-30

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2023 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I am building up a 74 Sharps in 40-50 using a Tasco brass tube but I am building my own mounts. Still a ways away from my first shot so we will see...

JMH

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2023 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Griff, 
The Malcolm rear mounts have a kit they sell to change the elevation to vernier adjustment, and last I checked the kits were pretty inexpensive. Easy to add on also.
Found this on their site:

IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2023 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Thanks... that's looks to be very useful!  Ordered... I'll see if it beats me home!

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2023 at 11:36am
Print Post  
The scratched tube and mangled screw heads don't look very encouraging since that is their (Hi Lux) photo.... Sad

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2023 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Griff: over the years, I have had several Brownings and one Winchester-Miroku M1885. The Winchester-- also was a Limited 32-40.

The Browning Hunter -- 30-30 -- and the Winchester exhibited the same issue of the hammer not holding. I was advised to remove the butt and fore stocks, spray out the action the action with a degreaser/cleaner, followed with a quick spray of a good lube. Surprised me the amount of fouling and primer residue that came out. 

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2023 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Aug 17th, 2023 at 6:27pm:
I played with one of them, and the optics seemed fine. But once you locked it down don't ever move it. Seem like some of the screws were a little soft as well.
Keep me posted on your rifle "issues" as I have the same one in 30-30
Talked to the gunsmith who I took it to today, turns out that it was just some grit that got in the action.   He didn't even have to take in apart, except for the stock.  It just fell out on his bench, so he blew out with compressed air and said it working 100% now.  I also had him disable the auto ejector to comply with SASS rules for long range.   

IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2023 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
SchwartzStock wrote on Aug 22nd, 2023 at 11:36am:
The scratched tube and mangled screw heads don't look very encouraging since that is their (Hi Lux) photo.... Sad
Any buggering screw & scratches on the scope are from yours truly being a little ham-fisted.  Tho', the screws are a little soft, IMO.  And I might not have loosened the rear clamp enough with I set the reticles square to the rifle.   

IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2023 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Ray_Newman wrote on Aug 22nd, 2023 at 1:12pm:
Griff: over the years, I have had several Brownings and one Winchester-Miroku M1885. The Winchester-- also was a Limited 32-40.

The Browning Hunter -- 30-30 -- and the Winchester exhibited the same issue of the hammer not holding. I was advised to remove the butt and fore stocks, spray out the action the action with a degreaser/cleaner, followed with a quick spray of a good lube. Surprised me the amount of fouling and primer residue that came out. 
Looky here... You're who I bought this rifle from last year.   Grin

IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Picked up the Rifle from the gunsmith yesterday, installed it and the Hi-Lux "Fine Elevation Adjustment" kit.  It works as advertised.   

IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I did get out to the range Tuesday, but forgot the chronograph and camera.  So, I didn't save any photos of my attempt to shoot @ 200 yards, nothing on paper showing that I could positively identify as mine.  According to my ballistics calculator, there's about 19.5" of drop between 100 & 200 yards with this load.  Showing all the shots to get a 100 yard "zero", it isn't real pretty, but shows, my guesses and adjustments.  The last two shots are the one's slightly below the center @ 6 o'clock.  Apparently, adjusting either windage or elevation, changes the other also.  I will have about a week between arriving home from a road trip to CAC to load ammo and do a final sorting out of this scope!  (Fingers crossed).   Other long range shooters will have more than a sporting chance @ CAC this year!  The target below shows my 10 shots @ 100, before moving to the 200 yard line and wasting another 10 shots!

Hopefully, other folks have as much trouble with this stuff as I do!  Tongue

P.S.:  Hopefully, removing the ejector on this rifle didn't screw up any of it's inherent accuracy!  Working the lever smartly, it really doesn't need an ejector as it'll fully extract the cartridge from chamber, you just have to lift the spent brass off the action.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Strange that adjusting elevation would affect windage on this style scope block? I wonder if the base of the rear mount is true, or maybe a slight imperfection in it? Maybe you might consider a spirit level added to the base, scope, or barrel to ensure the gun is held true level at each shot?

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 1st, 2023 at 10:19am:
Strange that adjusting elevation would affect windage on this style scope block? I wonder if the base of the rear mount is true, or maybe a slight imperfection in it? Maybe you might consider a spirit level added to the base, scope, or barrel to ensure the gun is held true level at each shot?

Either the block is canted or the shooter is canting the rifle. I suspect it is the block, sort of a you get what you pay for situation. That said, I did have to re-profile the MVA Mid-Range sight I have on a Shiloh 1874. The problem could be the Shiloh and not the MVA sight but modifying the sight is a cheaper fix than modifying the rifle tang. I expect a replacement sight base to be in order or $100 while replacing the rifle closer to $3000.

Could also be the reticle is canted in the tube in relation to the mount.....

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Griff093
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2023 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I will have to pay closer attention to the scope's movement, and whether the reticle is canted relative to the rifle & mount.  I also won't discount the possibility that I'm simply canting the rifle as I shoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint