Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I have forgotten.. (Read 632 times)
gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

I have forgotten..
Jan 27th, 2023 at 1:50pm
Print Post  

i have built an extractor for a Hauck out of oil hardening flat stock. I know to harden it by heating to cherry red and quenching in oil. I then need to anneal. What color should i heat to?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: I have forgotten..
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Are you asking what color to heat it for annealing? If it was me I'd simply fire up the lead pot and once it reaches around 700-750 degrees I'd put the hardened part in the lead for about 5 minutes to slightly anneal it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I agee with SSDave on the 500 degrees.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
In regards to the color hopefully you can see it on the right hand side of this chart. 
If click on you should also be able to enlarge it.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Gentlemen. I used to do this about once a month, but, like other things, the process escaped me. And I should have said 'tempering'.

IP Logged

RAM
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I am new to messaging on this forum, but have read allot here and enjoy it very much. 
I do my spring tempering by polishing my springs before they are oil quenched and polished again afterward to get the part nice and shined up before tempering. I use a jewelers torch and temper them by sight. The polishing helps me see the color changes clearly. the part goes from a blue to straw and then just as the straw disappears to a purple/blue I stop heating and let air cool.  It changes quickly and it took me time to get it down, but have made many springs now and have had excellent luck with them.

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
well I am not a gun smith but as a custom knife maker of 25 years 20 of which I have been a full time maker. knowing a few things about hardening and tempering steel my suggestion would be to use the lead pot at about 700 to 750 degrees  for an HRC hardness of between 500-55. this should be plenty hard to hold its shape and not bend In fact being a very hard spring temper. allowing it to bend slightly and return to true. this is supported by the following tempering chart for O1 steel. the chart is in centigrade but 700F = 371C and 750F = 399C.

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Jan 27th, 2023 at 10:01pm:
Here's a site that has full tempering instructions for 01; showing the toughness vs hardness, not just the hardness.  They recommend tempering at lower temperatures, not sure why, nor for what purposes.  Interesting reading, and good chance to make a more informed choice:

this is good reading. notice how toughness goes up as hardness goes down? you can think of it as toughness resists breaking while hardness resists bending. I made my recommendation considering that the thin edge of the ejector needs to be hard enough to resist bending and tough enough to not break both considering extraction of a hard extracting case. this chart from daves link shows both hardness and toughness graffs

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint