Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) fitting an extractor in a 44 1/2 (Read 737 times)
Boob D
Participating Member

fitting an extractor in a 44 1/2
Jan 30th, 2023 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I was given a Stevens 44 1/2 that was originally in 38-40. The bore doesn't look terribly bad, but enough issues I didn't want to try to save it. I'm fairly certain it was an octagon barrel, but for some reason someone decided to make it round and it looks like they used a bench grinder. I pick up a new barrel and fitted and chambered it in 32-20. I decided I had to replace the extractor because it was badly deformed and pitted. I was able to obtain a new one along with a sear from CPA rifle. However, it cam with instructions to install before chambering. Now that that boat has sailed any suggestions? I've been thinking to making a false barrel stub and fitting it to the action and then installing the extractor and then chambering it. I'm assuming with the extractor installed, you will have to chamber through the action? also how would you keep it place during the chambering process as the block has to be removed?

Suggestion or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: fitting an extractor in a 44 1/2
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2023 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Typically the extractor cut and the chambering is done with the barrel out of the action and after also being head spaced during the chambering process. 
Not sure how you plan to chamber it, in a lathe or possibly by hand. 
But what you should not try to do in my own opinion is to try and cut the extractor with the chambering reamer while the barrel it is now installed onto the action.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2023 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
One possibility, remember more than one way to skin a cat....
With the barrel on the action and extractor in place, pull extractor back and put a dab of Inletting Compound on the extractor then tap it gently into place.  Remove carefully and you will see the curve of the chamber marked on the back.  This gives you a reference.  I've set them in a Mill and used a Boring Head to cut it.  Then flip it over in the Vice and cut the rim recess.  This is assuming the Extractor fits the slot.  Good luck!  David

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2023 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. The barrel is completely chambered and head spaced.   It was the information I got with the extractor that had stumped. Now maybe I misunderstood the instructions, I've been known to. I like what I'm reading here much better.  So to be clear my next step is to fit the extractor, then mark it, remove it and do the milling  work.

Bob

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2023 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
You may have to remove a little metal from the extractor, where the extractor is machined at an angle near where the hole for the lever bolt/pin is, for the action to fully open or close on the breech block. If you remove too much metal from the angle from the extractor, a shell case might slip by the extractor because the extractor opens too far. I believe CPA extractors now have a set screw to adjust this. I hope that this makes sense to you.

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Sure Shot,  thanks for the heads up on the extractor. 

Bob

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Boob D where do you Live?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Sure shot you are indeed correct the newer CPA extractors do have an adjustment screw. 
Also one can easily add one and a 6-32 allen head set screw.
This to keep the extractor from going past the rim.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
In all the cases where I was fitting a new barrel, I roughed-out the extractor with files and the mill, using an old barrel having the same chamber.  Cut the new barrel's chamber on the lathe, then assemble the barrel with extractor and took the necessary light cuts with the reamer to finalize the extractor, driving the reamer by hand with a T-handle.   

If course, it sure helps to have an old barrel.  Seems I'm always able to find something in the tomato-stake bin.

<div class=

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Depends on your reamer.

The extractor can be installed without the breech block, hammer and stock installed. It pivots on the same pin as the lever.

If the reamer will clear the hammer slot, it can be done in the lathe. It just depends on the diameter and length of the shank.

If not, Mount the assembly in a vice and carefully file the chamber diameter of the extractor.

Remove the extractor and the relief for the rim can easily be done in a drill press and either an end mill or bringing burr of the right diameter.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I once designed a fixture to hold Stevens 44 extractors in the lathe, so I could cut them with a boring tool.  Never got made, and given the age-related slowdown in my gunsmithing, never will.

<div class=

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 8:40am
Print Post  
JLouis, I live in north central WV.

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 8:42am
Print Post  
I followed the ssdave method for my rolling block I cut last week.  It came out great.  I don't remember where I heard about it, but it worked for me.  I made a fixture to hold the 67/89 Swede extractor (built up with tig weld) in a fixture so very little metal was above the mill vise jaws.  I cut the rim diameter first, then the case web diameter.  The beauty of this, is that the mill was left set for the rim diameter and not moved when the case web diameter was cut. There was a little touch up filing to do on the base diameter where the extractor meets the case body, but it was minimal and the extractor works like a charm.   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint