Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) about Dehass Miller and Hoch single shot action. (Read 2504 times)
bullshop

about Dehass Miller and Hoch single shot action.
Jan 18th, 2023 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Simple question that I bet someone here knows the answer to.  Is the Dehass Miller and the Hoch single shot action one and the same ?

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: about Dehass Miller and Hoch single shot action.
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2023 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
No

rkba2nd

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2023 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Thank you

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2023 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
So is there anyone here that has any experience with the Hoch single shot action ?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2023 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Richard Hoch also sold action building kits. 
Russ Weber had built several rifles around them and I believe somehow related. 
It was eventually sold off and if memory serves me right Tommy Mason ended up with it?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2023 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 18th, 2023 at 8:26pm:
I have a rifle built on the Hoch action. Probably the most accurate rifle I own. Or ever owned.

So I am curious about your rifle.  What is the chambering and what is the stock configuration, set up for sporting or target ?
Any complaints about the action ?  Anything you would change if you could ?   I am really curious because I am awaiting deliver of one set up for BR. Chambering is 25 hornet and comes with a breach seating tool and mold.

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2023 at 10:30am
Print Post  
iirc, Steve Meacham built these in the early 1980's prior to switching to the HiWall actioned rifles.  I have one in the 40-3.25" caliber.

Rich

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2023 at 11:00am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jan 18th, 2023 at 8:52pm:
Richard Hoch also sold action building kits. 
It was eventually sold off and if memory serves me right Tommy Mason ended up with it?

Eight or nine years ago Tommy had all the tooling to produce Hoch actions for sale at the ISSA Int'l match in Raton.

I don't recall that there was a buyer then.

IP Logged

sslocknut
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2023 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Bullshop you have a pm.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2023 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Back around 1990, the San Diego group bought 8 Hoch actions.  I built mine as an offhand rifle but it will still win BR matches if I do my part.  Douglas barrel in 32-40.  It has to be the most simple action around.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2023 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I can add a little to this, regarding Hoch's.

I bought my "kit" in the summer of 1986, from Fansler (sp) and it's #139. Hoch had already sold the rights to it by then. It was suppose to be ready to install a barrel and shoot, with "minor" work.

He offered engraving for free, if you ordered it, pre payed, at that time. I believe the lead time was suppose to be 30 days but, it took about 5 months to get it, after I had payed for it.

It had extremely light engraving, when I got it.

It was in general, a mess. I'm a machinist and it took at least 8 working hours, to straighten it out. I had to match the breech block to the threads and rework the most of the trigger and striker, to get it to work well. But, after it was done, It worked fantastically!! I shot it for 10 years, only cleaning the trigger once. Miller triggers need intensive care, especially now a days. I built it as a 32/35 Stevens, with a Douglas, .308 barrel in 14 twist. It's best competition outing was ~1993, when I was second to Tommy Masons, Miller, with RKS barrel, by wide shot and also second in the 200 yard 5 shot group.

I hurt my shoulder after that with a 45/70 but, after I started again in 2010, I later bought a .3085 groove 13 twist RKS heavy barrel on it and a new Schuetzen butt stock, I had made locally, with as much drop as I could get, with the butt stock bolt location and a full floating for forearm, chambered it in full length 357 Max case, necked to 30 cal.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2023 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I have owned a Meachum Hoch action and a Miller deHaas as well. Alberta Schuetzen Guild members had 4 Hoch actions.

The Hoch is a very simple striker action with fast lock time, but the trigger could not be adjusted for fine trigger pulls except those that had the Canjar trigger installed. They had an adjustment for the sear angle but not for adjusting trigger pull. The machining was not as refined as a Miller deHaas and the lever would frequently be wobbly and sloppy but would lock up tight when closed. Most of the Hochs were chambered in both .32 Miller Short or .32 RKS for the Schuetzen game.

Hochs were much cheaper to build and purchase due to their simple design and simpler machining requirements.

Originally Tommy Mason would case harden Hoch actions and stock Hoch receivers. Tommy designed improvements and a modification for a good set trigger for the Hoch action and purchased the rights to manufacture them. However his improvements could not receive a patent because of infringements on other patents. So Tommy disposed of much of the equipment to manufacture Hochs since he had intended to develop an excellent rimfire receiver to enable the development of Schuetzen shooters but could not due to existing patents.

200 yard target shot with irons on .32 RKS gain twist barrel finishing at 14:1 twist  with 205 grain Paul Jones Spitzer Hoch. Yes they shoot well with a good barrel.
My sear angle was modified to get a 9 oz. trigger pull.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2023 at 4:11pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Oldtimer
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2023 at 8:51am
Print Post  
I have a brand new-- Miller Dehass rifle for sale if interested  Built by Kyle Miller 32 Miller short with Ron Long gain twist barrel.
amejac4862@hotmail.com
440-339-3220

Also have a couple of Peregrines Actions with wood -Model 33 for sale

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2023 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Oldtimer wrote on Aug 8th, 2023 at 8:51am:
I have a brand new-- Miller Dehass rifle for sale if interested  Built by Kyle Miller 32 Miller short with Ron Long gain twist barrel.
amejac4862@hotmail.com
440-339-3220

Also have a couple of Peregrines Actions with wood -Model 33 for sale

I will take the Peregrine actions/wood

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2023 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Pm sent on miller

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint