Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Reproduction Rolling Blocks (Read 4540 times)
ISS
Oldtimer

Re: Reproduction Rolling Blocks
Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2022 at 2:59am
Print Post  
It is gentlemen, a matter of esthetics and usage with regard to single shot rifles.  I think the 44 1/2 Stevens is the most elegant and beautiful single shot rifle ever made.  Followed by Ballards.  I like the lines, but they are best served by BP loads/pressures.

Followed by the M74 Sharps, and the M77; more because of history.  Millions of Bison were killed by hunters with Sharps, based on records available.  I like the Shilohs because they tolerate pressures beyond what I find tolerable.  I have a LRE in 45-100/2.6" case that was not a lot of fun load working from a bench.  I have wanted one in 50-90 2/5" case for decades, just never found one for sale at a reasonable price.  I was too impatient to order one and wait the 2-3 years for my turn in line.  I have a 77 that has been on order for most of a year.  A 38-55 at 10 lbs will be fun for a 50 round belt full killing Rockchucks.

Rollers, just do not catch my eye.  A DST and PG in 38-55 would be about the only model to tempt me.

time for bed, I just heard the 12:45 Amtrak whistle blow.

Rich

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2022 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Well I think Sharps with their big side hammers, and ancient front stuffer appearances are kinda homely. They may be extremely strong, but that big hammer has a very slow lock time compared to many center hung hammer single shots.
Can't debate their history, but there were good numbers of Rolling Block rifles also used, although at that period most were military models and not as many Sporting rifles.
Any of the old single shot rifles are plenty strong enough for the BP cartridges they were chambered in. I doubt most people care if you can push an old design further than it was originally chambered for. And both Rolling Blocks, and Ballard rifles were chambered for some pretty stout BP cartridges also. The Ballard was chambered in .45-120, and the Rolling Block for at least the .44-90/105 and maybe larger cartridges. Neither design compares to the Sharps in strength, but they're not going to fail using these big cartridges, or we'd see or hear of it. My Ballard #7 Long-Range is chambered for the .44-100-530 cartridge and still in one piece after almost 150 years.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
nothing sleeker than a creed moor  roller   art

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 11:04am
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 12:46pm:

Couldn't agree more Art! But I would like to own an original schuetzen match Roller someday. They're very tough to find as I think most schuetzen shooters didn't want a Rolling Block for that type of shooting. But the few I've seen were gorgeous!
I was very fortunate to finally purchase an original Creedmoor last year in .44-77, but missing all the sights. The stock finish had been stripped, but fortunately it wasn't sanded at all. So I was able to refinish the wood, and get sights to put it back where it should be.
Crappy pictures.

It's not a minty creampuff, but has a great bore, and shoots excellent. 

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Aug 3rd, 2022 at 9:17am:
rollers are sleek  and simple  very accurate  get john king to build you one   art

Art, if you are referencing John King of Kila, Mt, I believe he has passed away a year or so ago.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
kootne wrote on Sep 12th, 2022 at 12:49pm:
art_ruggiero wrote on Aug 3rd, 2022 at 9:17am:
rollers are sleek  and simple  very accurate  get john king to build you one   art

Art, if you are referencing John King of Kila, Mt, I believe he has passed away a year or so ago.

That's very sad to hear! John was a great guy, and very talented gunsmith. I haven't talked to him in a couple years.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 12:46pm:

Oh, I think the very rare, original No.5 sporting were the sleekest of the rolling blocks. I've only seem them in photos, such as Marcot's book. 

While I have a Lone Star rolling block, I certainly didn't buy it for its aesthetics. A Ballard or a Low Wall or some of the British break open singles are far more attractive to me.

Karl
IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 7:49am
Print Post  

[/quote]

John was alive and well this April/May when I talked to him although his back is bad and he's slowed down a lot from work that he's taking on.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 8:40am
Print Post  
john is a great guy and has built several fine rifles for me  i have visited him several times but not recently   art ruggiero

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Sep 27th, 2022 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Sep 13th, 2022 at 7:49am:

John was alive and well this April/May when I talked to him although his back is bad and he's slowed down a lot from work that he's taking on. [/quote]

Just to clear up things, I was told he had passed away but apparently bad intel was given to the fellow that told me that. I contacted my source after reading Old-Wins post. He called and confirmed John is still standing. I apologize for the misinformation I posted on this site. And I'm glad John is not deceased, he is an asset to our tribe. 

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint