Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Remington #7 Rolling Block (Read 5448 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Re: Remington #7 Rolling Block
Reply #15 - Aug 13th, 2022 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
yamoon wrote on Jul 31st, 2022 at 6:37pm:
Was in the store last Wednesday, it was still in the rack, at $4400 it might stay awhile. It is very neat. I was surprised to find IMR4895, a bit pricey but I have been looking awhile.
Mike
stoped by today, it was gone.
Mike 

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Aug 16th, 2022 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Stopped by the Kansas City Cabela’s gun room yesterday, still there. Took a couple bad photos of the Remington #7. Somewhat rough condition, some surface rust on the barrel. Couldn’t look at the bore to see what it looked like. The tang sight appeared to be missing the stem and peep. This is the rifle Yamoon was talking about earlier in this thread.

Richard

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 16th, 2022 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I was trying to buy the gun but not at the price they are asking.  We've been going back and forth but I'm not getting anywhere.  Did get some better pictures they sent me though.  They told me they could see rifling but that's all I could get out of them.  They said the rear sight top stem was broke, but not that the base was wrong, at least from what I have seen on others. The one there looks home made to me.  He told me some Remington expert looked at it and verified just the broken stem was the problem. They also said the wood was good with the normal ding and scratches but if you look at the left side, and the bottom behind the grip, it appears to have been cracked and repaired.  I asked about the crack and have not been able to get an answer, they stopped talking to me at that point!  The strange thing is it does not show on the right side, so don't know.  The guy also said he was going to take some steel wool to it and clean up some rust on the action and barrel, I suggested he let the new owner do that.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 16th, 2022 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Couple more of the area that appears cracked.

I also think the grip cap is suspicious, appears fitted off center to the front, but that may be camera angle.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2022 at 7:30pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Aug 16th, 2022 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Good luck with your negotiation with Cabelas. It’s a neat rifle,but it certainly has its problems. I didn’t look at it close enough to see the crack or notice how bad it was. I’ve been in this Cabela’s on a somewhat regular basis, maybe twice a year since it opened years ago. I’ve never been able to buy anything there yet. Most what I collect they’ve had higher price tags than I was willing to pay. 

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #20 - Aug 17th, 2022 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I shoot at the Mill Creek gun club in Desoto Ks, a burb of KC, so I stop by Cabelas once a month or so, with the price of gas I don’t go as often as I once did. I did buy a Orberndorf B Mauser sporter from them a few years ago. It was in the Sidney Nebraska Cabelas, this was pre Bass Pro Shop days when they would ship in guns for inspection, I watched it for over 2 years, they finally priced it right and with my veterans discount and another discount I got it for a reasonable price.
Mike

IP Logged

Hartford Tommy
Participating Member

Reply #21 - Aug 23rd, 2022 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Superb rifle.  Wow

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 17th, 2024 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Still not as nice as BobW's but neat
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #23 - Jan 17th, 2024 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Jan 17th, 2024 at 8:18pm:
Still not as nice as BobW's but neat

I think the only original part is the action, and it's been blued over the case colors. The wood and barrel are both replacements. But as rare as they are it could still be worth owning.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
I’ve seen this gun before, I might even have pictures of it.  I would question this even being a #7, I’m betting it was made from a pistol.  It may not be definitive, but it doesn’t have the sliding extractor I see on them, no screw in the front upper left of the frame indicating this extractor.  This is especially suspicious since it is a 22.  And, whats with the two screws and hooks going up over the frame on the left side, definitely not factory.  Is it some sort of improvised extractor stop?  Maybe Tony Maddox will comment, he has had lots of these #7’s through his hands.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jan 18th, 2024 at 12:12pm:
I’ve seen this gun before, I might even have pictures of it.  I would question this even being a #7, I’m betting it was made from a pistol.  It may not be definitive, but it doesn’t have the sliding extractor I see on them, no screw in the front upper left of the frame indicating this extractor.  This is especially suspicious since it is a 22.  And, whats with the two screws and hooks going up over the frame on the left side, definitely not factory.  Is it some sort of improvised extractor stop?  Maybe Tony Maddox will comment, he has had lots of these #7’s through his hands.
Bob

I wondered about those two screws and the pair of pointed tabs going over the frame too? At first I thought maybe some sort of side scope mount for the two screws until I saw one closeup revealing the pointed tabs. 
I think you may be right about this not even being a true #7 rifle, and likely it might be made from a pistol, making it all a fake. It would have to be really cheap for me to want it, as it would take lots of work to make it more accurate in appearance, and still be a fake; just a better fake.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
I would agree Vall.  I could be made into a neat gun, saving some features and changing others.

Couple more things that aren’t quite right.  The lower tang is either loose or not fit very well.  The rear sight base makes me uncomfortable, it’s shaped differently from the originals I’ve seen. Then the fat stock just doesn’t seem correct.  The good about the gun is it appears, other than the lower tang, to be pretty well done and fitted.  I don’t like the fat sides, but could live with it.  The white stuff would have to go. The checkering is nice and I think worth saving.  If it were mine, I would plan on replacing the white mounts.  Looking at the extractor, I would maybe add the sliding style, they just work great.  Figure out, and more than likely, make those two screws disappear.  Strip the action and all the parts, case harden and blue them accordingly.  

I was just looking at it again and another thought came to me.  Could it be an early casting set or maybe some one machine one from solid steel. The PA stamping, along with no factory stamping, makes me wonder.

I saw a gun that someone had taken a #2 and tried making a #7, but it had a longer funny look to it and was very obvious, if you knew what you were seeing, it was not a #7.  So, this was not from a #2.
Bob
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2024 at 6:56pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I think this may have started life as an 1867 pistol since that model didn't use a sliding extractor, and had the extractor mounted as part of the breech block.
The tang sight is totally wrong, and if it was an 1867 pistol then the area where the sights mounts was also built up to match a later 1871, 1891, 1901, and #7.

The "PA" is likely the first letters of the word "PAT'D" and the rest got buffed off when the welding and metal work was draw filed and polished off.

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #28 - Jan 19th, 2024 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Three No.7s ...

Top: .22 LR
Center: .22 LR re-barreled by Stevens with new forearm
Bottom: .25-25 Stevens

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - Jan 19th, 2024 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifles Joe!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint