Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Farrow minature (Read 1557 times)
rodneys
Oldtimer

Farrow minature
Dec 24th, 2023 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
I was told the story that this was built for Milton Farrow‘s granddaughter. A guy that went by square ball From Arizona I believe owned it until John Eddie Ross, of Ada Oklahoma bought it. He brought it to me to have the extractor worked on By the way, not a very good design. so I took it apart and took these pictures. The tornado got the originals but I still have pictures of pictures on a thumb drive. It was nickel plated. And as you can tell, very high-quality. I believe it was sold in his estate by Ron Peterson when he passed. Thought some of you guys might enjoy it.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Re: Farrow minature
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2023 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
More pictures and by the way, it was a 22 WCF

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2023 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Wow! A stunning little rifle! I like Farrow rifles!

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 9:15am
Print Post  
What a neat little rifle. One thing that stood out to me was the checkering.  Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Neat little rifle!  Did you do a casting set from it?
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
As rare and beautiful as Farrow rifles are, this miniature is even neater!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
The story that it was built for Farrow's only granddaughter makes some sense, although it could more logically have been made for Farrow's daughter Louise or for Farrow's grandson Willard (b. 1915). Mildred Hayward Farrow was born in West Palm Beach, Florida, in 1919. Her parents lived at the same street address (723 M Street) that was used for Farrow's shop.  She would have been a little girl in the time period when Farrow had his shop in Florida.  Our W. Milton Farrow, her grandfather, lived next door, at 715 M Street. 

In 1924, Mildred's parents moved to Black Mountain, NC after her father (Farrow's only son) had been diagnosed with TB. They took Mildred with them.  After her father's death in 1925, Mildred remained in NC with her mother.

The September 17, 1928 hurricane destroyed both Farrow residences and Farrow's shop in West Palm Beach.  Everything in the shop was lost; all the records, machinery and tools, spare parts. Very little was salvaged.  Farrow's wife Abby died in March, 1929. Their youngest daughter Louise (b. 1877) always lived with her parents.  A musician and teacher (violin & piano), she never married, took care of her parents in their declining years. After the hurricane, Louise had at least the 715 M Street residence rebuilt, maybe the 723 M residence also, and salvaged what she could.

Mildred never married, remained in NC working as a college librarian until her retirement, then moved to Chicago.  Mildred's brother Willard moved back to West Palm Beach after the hurricane, probably to help Louise care for Farrow in his final years and to help with the salvage and rebuilding.  Louise apparently had several (3+?) Farrow rifles in her 1949 estate. Grandson Willard died in 1982.  Mildred might have the miniature Farrow in her estate because she was the last surviving Farrow of that generation.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Bob 
No, I did not make mold off of it. Waterman I’m glad you chimed in. I was hoping you would. I’ve got pictures of another Farrow Rifle that I will put up. It is a single trigger on the Long frame.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Another Farrow, that I owned it one time that John Eddy Ross bought for me, and of course, it was sold in his estate. It is a long frame, which was usually for double set triggers, This one has a single trigger, and the barrel was a Providence tool barrel and 4070 and so marked on the muzzle.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Some more pictures of the parts

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Some questions about the new one, Rodney.   

It is easy to see how Farrow could get a Providence Tool Co. barrel.  Going back to Newport, RI and Farrow's earliest days as a competitive shooter, some of his earliest matches, with the first team he organized, were against a team from Providence. He probably knew at least one Providence Tool Company rep by his first name.  Might the barrel be 20 years older than the action?

Is there anything that indicates the barrel was one intended for the long range matches?  Is or was it set up for muzzle loading? What is the twist?  What is the diameter at the point where it meets the barrel?  Barrel length? Muzzle diameter?

Another question is "which .40/70?"  One of the bottleneck cases?  If so, which?  Or something like a Sharps Straight case?  What is the twist? 

I have a .40/70 Sharps Straight on a Hepburn action.  With a stiff load, I'm glad the action is a Hepburn.  I'd be afraid to shoot a Farrow chambered for that cartridge.

Did Farrow put a number on the action?

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
I got the barreled action from Dennis Hurosky in the late eighties he had a bucket with three actions, and that was the only one with a barrel. They were all nickel plated the other two were Dst. They all had a rusty film from setting in water. I have lost my records so I don’t remember the serial number for sure but I think they were all right around 100 a little over and a little under. I believe the barrel had a 18 inch twist and it was chambered for a 40-70 straight 2.5” best I remember it was a .403 diameter like the Sharps.the barrel was engraved not stamped with the Providence Tool co name and at the muzzle flat was engraved 40 cal 70 grs.

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
The small Farrow looks like a Martini style breach block instead of a vertical dropping block.
Or am I missing something.  I have never seen a Farrow like this before!  Very cool.

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Yes it was a martini type action I just found the drawing I made from it. You can clearly see the similarities.

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Dec 25th, 2023 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Wow, power that hammer with a mouse trap spring, replace the tangs with a through bolt and improve the extractor and you have a simple, strong, easy to build and stock single shot rifle.  Very nice

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint