Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Farrow minature (Read 1558 times)
waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Farrow minature
Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2023 at 3:45am
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Dec 25th, 2023 at 9:46pm:
I got the barreled action from Dennis Hurosky in the late eighties he had a bucket with three actions, and that was the only one with a barrel. They were all nickel plated the other two were Dst. They all had a rusty film from setting in water. I have lost my records so I don’t remember the serial number for sure but I think they were all right around 100 a little over and a little under. I believe the barrel had a 18 inch twist and it was chambered for a 40-70 straight 2.5” best I remember it was a .403 diameter like the Sharps.the barrel was engraved not stamped with the Providence Tool co name and at the muzzle flat was engraved 40 cal 70 grs.

I think Joe Ruth's list starts the long action numbers about 90.  Mine is 91 (a .22 LR) and I know about 92 (.32-40) and 93 (was a .22 LR, now a stripped action), so numbers around 100 are to be expected.  I think all the long actions were completed in Farrow's Morgantown, W. Va. shop, 1892 to about 1896.  I don't think he made any more single shots after he moved to Washington, D.C., in 1896 or 1897.  He retired to West Palm Beach, Florida in 1919. Took his shop and all his tools and parts with him.  He may have put together a couple of single shots from parts.  I think that's when he made the miniature Farrow.  The Sept. 17, 1928 hurricane destroyed his shop and broke his heart.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 26th, 2023 at 3:49am
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on Dec 25th, 2023 at 9:46pm:
I got the barreled action from Dennis Hurosky in the late eighties he had a bucket with three actions, and that was the only one with a barrel. They were all nickel plated the other two were Dst. They all had a rusty film from setting in water. I have lost my records so I don’t remember the serial number for sure but I think they were all right around 100 a little over and a little under. I believe the barrel had a 18 inch twist and it was chambered for a 40-70 straight 2.5” best I remember it was a .403 diameter like the Sharps.the barrel was engraved not stamped with the Providence Tool co name and at the muzzle flat was engraved 40 cal 70 grs.

I think Joe Ruth's list starts the long action numbers about 90.  Mine is 91 (a .22 LR) and I know about 92 (.32-40) and 93 (was a .22 LR, now a stripped action), so numbers around 100 are to be expected.  I think all the long actions were completed in Farrow's Morgantown, W. Va. shop, 1892 to about 1896.  I don't think he made any more single shots after he moved to Washington, D.C., in 1896 or 1897.  He retired to West Palm Beach, Florida in 1919. Took his shop and all his tools and parts with him.  He may have put together a couple of single shots from parts.  I think that's when he made the miniature Farrow.  The Sept. 17, 1928 hurricane destroyed his shop and broke his heart.

My long action was nickel plated, but it hung on the wall in some guy's smoking & gun room for years.  Dust, humidity & cigarette smoke ate up the nickel plating. When I got it, I could scrape the finish off with my thumbnail.

IP Logged

ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
joe and tom rowe did a book on the farrows known. great pictures and descriptions. when joe passed last year i got his collection to sale for his wife. i have 4 left. joe had 8 when i got them. some loading tools (all gone now). joe dobrinski got all the paperwork that joe had for an article he is going to do someday when he gets a chance. if interested in a farrow call me .   tony<><

IP Logged

Gold45Colt

Reply #18 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
A very unique and nice looking rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint