Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: Piltdownman on: May 7th, 2022 at 3:05am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Perspective on bullet sorting (Read 1968 times)
gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Perspective on bullet sorting
May 4th, 2022 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I've been prepping (last minute, frantically) for our first match of the season this week - mainly the chore of preparing sufficient quantities of bullets. Funny how "This pile of bullets ought to last me two years" is a statement I make every six months.

I know by now what weight to expect from my "go-to" favorite moulds with my 1:30 alloy (carefully created with an accurate digital scale). I weight sort in .1 grain increments and pan lube the bullets that fall closest to the nominal weight, which is thankfully the majority. My "premo" bullets are strictly those which weigh exactly the nominal weight with a tolerance of minus .1 grain. Secondary bullets are those that vary no more than .3 grain from nominal, and still segregated in groups that display no more than .1 grain variance among them. All the rest that stray outside those parameters either get saved for fouling shots or go back in the pot. (Additionally, visual inspection for physical observable defects takes place.)

Am I all wet? Being too obsessive? Should I expand my acceptable tolerances within groupings, to include more bullets - say .2 or .3 grain variation instead of just .1 grain? I'm curious how others approach this and what their real-world experiences are in this regard. Thanks!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Perspective on bullet sorting
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2022 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I stopped sorting and weighing bullets a long time ago and started going to more matches instead. The more matches I go to the better my chances of winning one.  

Does that sound logical?  Undecided

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2022 at 9:01am
Print Post  
that's correct  if you don't go you can't win   art

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2022 at 10:39am
Print Post  
By all accounts Westerner is smiled upon by the Gods (Pope, Shoyen, Petersen, and his late lamented blind squirrel who ran into one too many trees), every time he pulls a trigger. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2022 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I don't think one could be over cautious myself. Accuracy has allot to do with one's own personal confidence in his equipment. It is also directly related to the elimination of as many variables as is possible no matter what they might be. Just importantly when a shot / points are dropped and you put the blame on possibly being a bad bullet you are also possibly not doing enough.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2022 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Reminds me of the time I was shooting next to a Canadian at Tacoma. Looked over at his target to notice he was not doing all that well. I asked him whats the matter? He said he was shooting reject bullets. I said so am I. He looks at my target then looks at me and says, asshole!   

Shooting matches can be a lot of fun.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2022 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 4th, 2022 at 11:24am:
Reminds me of the time I was shooting next to a Canadian at Tacoma. Looked over at his target to notice he was not doing all that well. I asked him whats the matter? He said he was shooting reject bullets. I said so am I. He looks at my target then looks at me and says, asshole!  

Oooooooooooo.  Quote of the day!!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2022 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
For those of you who have not heard the story about Boots Obermeyer:
He decided to create the  "perfect" ammunition. He did everything a reloader can possibly do to create the perfect ammo: weighed and sorted the bullets, (Jacketed High power match bullets) inside and outside reamed the cases, cleaned and swaged the primer pockets, etc. etc. etc. He goes to the next match and shoots a tremendous score, WAY over his average. Everyone is patting him on the back and congratulating him and asking "How did you do it?"

He says " Gather round everyone and I will show you what I did!" He then reaches into his range bag and pulls out the ammo and discovers that what he shot in the match was "reject" ammo, the "perfect" ammo was still untouched on the bag. 
Just goes to show the power of your mental attitude. Having confidence in your equipment is very important. This does NOT prove that being sloppy with your ammo is OK. 
I am still struggling with how "perfect" a cast bullet must be, or how imperfect it can be before the imperfections really impact accuracy. If I live long enough to retire I might have time to do some experimenting. Till then, I am too busy trying to cast "perfect" bullets. 
Joe S

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2022 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Not perfect but the best I can manage

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2022 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 4th, 2022 at 11:24am:

Sounds like Bev! 

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2022 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Gnoahhh, it seems like you have paid a lot of attention to details. How much better did your rifle shoot with that soft 1 to 30 alloy than with something harder? Back in the Creedmore days factory match bullets were more like 1 to 15.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2022 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Bev who ? 
If you might be referring to  Bev Pinney from Salmo BC and a three time Cast Bullet Association National Champion in the Plain Base Bullet class. Who I was also was very fortunate to compete against in the 2006 National event and in the same class. 
I would find it hard for not only him or anyone else to be able to do so successfully while also shooting reject bullets. 
Back in 1996, 1998 and 2003.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2022 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 4:47pm:
Bev who ? 
If you might be referring to  Bev Pinney from Salmo BC and a three time Cast Bullet Association National Champion in the Plain Base Bullet class. Who I was also was very fortunate to compete against in the 2006 National event and in the same class. 
I would find it hard for not only him or anyone else to be able to do so successfully while also shooting reject bullets. 
Back in 1996, 1998 and 2003.

Bev has that kind of a sense of humor. Him and his wife Alta are quite a hoot.
He stayed at my place when he was shooting the CBA matches I was running years back.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2022 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Cbashooter he was indeed one of the very best as far as I am concerned. 
Unfortunately when I was shooting against him at the CBA National Event back in 2006. He would never respond when I tried to have a conversation with him on multiple times.
I later found out that he had some very serious hearing loss and that he was not actually trying to ignore me / or not actually wanting to not converse with me. 

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2022 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Tommy Mason and I shared the same bench in different relays at the 1996 nationals.i got to watch him shoot his .400 ten shot record in just horrible conditions.(it still stsnds)That day and group opened my eyes to schuetzen rifle accuracy. 

And yes Bev is D. E. A. F.  as hell
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2022 at 8:47pm by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint