Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Borchardt triggers (Read 1190 times)
John Robert
Participating Member

Borchardt triggers
Apr 16th, 2022 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Can anyone share their experience on improving the trigger mechanics of the Sharps 1878 ?  Recently acquired an action , trigger pull isn’t horrible but has a lot free travel. This is on an original Sharps single trigger not the set trigger.   Thanks John Robert

IP Logged

Amoretti

Re: Borchardt triggers
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2022 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I would send it to Al at Bouchardt Rifle company.  Maybe call first and discuss the work.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2022 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I love Borchardt actions! In my experience, the reason for the bad and erratic trigger pull is due to the plunger/striker being worn and loose. The breech has a bushing (h) in the back that can be replaced to take-up some of the wear, however you may need to turn the striker (B) round and make a bushing that fits the striker properly. The striker needs to slide smoothly, but with no play.

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2022 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I will put my vote in for the B.R.C. trigger job. Probably the best bucks you will ever spend.
LD1

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2022 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Yes on the Story rework.

Option B: I just bought one of Argus Barker's Borchardts with his version of the Zischang/Zika double sets.  Very nice, and adjust down to the 2-3 oz level.
I wish someone would make them and sell them.

Rich

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2022 at 10:29am
Print Post  
I made a set of Zischang triggers from Rodney's castings.

Nice triggers but to install them you have to mill out the bottom of the action including the lower tang.  Seems like a harsh thing to do to an original unless in tough condition.

I modified the design to use a coiled compression spring to replace Zischang's long flat spring.  Still requires milling the bottom of the receiver but much less metal is removed and the lower tang remains.  All this was on a Rodney casting set.

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2022 at 11:01am
Print Post  
I had Ron Long build me a Zischang Borchardt with the dbl sets and they are perfect.  Shon Eychaner, who studied under Ron, copied these and built my second Zischang Borchardt in .22 using Ron's method.  Shon's coming to my home today to visit and I can ask him if he is interested in making these triggers.  As all above posters have stated it is not a simple walk in the park to make these triggers but when done properly they are exceptional.

John Rigby

IP Logged

John Robert
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2022 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks to everyone who has responded to this post and shared their information .      John Robert

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint